SuperAntiSpyware 4.21.0.1004

frogman

I am led to believe that version 4.21.0.1004 of SuperAntiSpyware works best with Windows 98, but the problem I am having is when I do a custom scan, I have my Firefox profile folder as the folder to be scanned, but when it scans it never seems to find any tracking cookies.

Now I am beginning to think that perhaps it is the way that FF 3.6 stores it's cookies, perhaps it's not, but the option to scan directly to the cookies.sqlite folder isn't possible, and I know that it does scan the other files such as the json files as I have seen them being scanned when I pause it.

Anyone know what the fix could be as I know there should be at least one cookie that SAS would define as being a bad tracking cookie, but the results bring up zero each time.

Unless FF3.6 knows about these tracking cookies and stops them, but the chances of that happening for them all is too great, but you never know.

As the version of SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition 4.21.0.1004 was the only one to work with Windows 98, would it be possible to have it work with KernelEx 4.5 RC 5 installed?

It scans but according to SAS they are not intending to update it so that it scans into the folder called cookies.sqlite

And because it doesn't manage to get into this particular file the Firefox 3.6 cookies do not get properly scanned.

Is this possible, or would it be best to have KernelEx 4.5 RC 5 work with a later version of SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition?

If the answer is no, than I have to ask which spyware and malware programs will be the best to use on windows 98 that works with or without KernelEx 4.5 RC 5, and I ask as much time has passed since the early posts on this thread.

This thread is for discussing KernelEx *only*! :realmad:

Start another thread, if you need, but do stop hijacking this one!

I understand, I did try and PM Dave-H but his message box was full and I was unable to leave him a message, so I thought it was only courteous thing to do was to reply to him, but I take what you say.

What part of "don't hijack the KernelEx Sticky Thread" did you not understand, frogman? icon33.gif

You've already had created a thread for SuperAntiSpyware! Why not keep to it?

Well now your post is moved to the right thread, and the thread in the right subforum.

This thread is for discussing KernelEx *only*! :realmad:

Start another thread, if you need, but do stop hijacking this one!

I understand, I did try and PM Dave-H but his message box was full and I was unable to leave him a message, so I thought it was only courteous thing to do was to reply to him, but I take what you say.

What part of "don't hijack the KernelEx Sticky Thread" did you not understand, frogman? icon33.gif

You've already had created a thread for SuperAntiSpyware! Why not keep to it?

Because it was to do with asking for that program to be associated with KernelEx.

So quite frankly it is confusing where to put the post, because one half is to do with KernelEx, and the other half is for SAS.

Use that thread to discuss new or ongoing issues, report programs that are working and post bug reports. Read the full thread to get the feel of it, if needed be. I'm trying to prevent hijacks there because the thread is already huge. Notice that you've been posting there faster than you're getting replies, and on diverse subjects, all at the same time. Slow down. And open new threads, as needed. For things related to KernelEx, this sub-forum is the right place. But try to avoid opening more than 3 or 4 new threads per week, so as to give people time to think, experiment, and then give you meaningful replies. Nobody here knows it all, and most of what we do know is from first hand experience or from searching (both of which take some time)... :)

It's just that I am without an anti Spyware/Malware program, and I am just a bit concerned.

The reason I had put it on that thread is I thought the most recent SAS could have been included in the next KernelEx release.

:rolleyes:

Edited by frogman

OS Win ME; KEX 4.5 RC5; RP 9.7.0

I think SAS 4.21 is to old for Firefox 3.6. Up to now I had version 4.24 (recommend by SuperAntiSpyware.com)on my machines that needs 5 minutes to start and perhaps the same time to update the definition files (CPU usage 100%) - KernelEX comp. mode: default.

Now I' ve tested the newer versions of SAS again with KEX 4.5 RC5. I installed Versions up to 4.37 without any errors in default mode and started them with Win2000SP4 mode. All seem to work fine. The start needs about 10 seconds and also the update is really fast. The scans need 55-90% CPU usage. Interesting: Right click menu entry for direct file scan.

Setup version 4.38 to 4.46 shows following message:  Install error - Error starting services, aborting installation (tried with different compatibility modes)

BTW since june I have a lot of trouble with Spybot's teatimer (100% CPU usage and freezing). I don't use it anymore.

OS Win ME; KEX 4.5 RC5; RP 9.7.0

I think SAS 4.21 is to old for Firefox 3.6. Up to now I had version 4.24 (recommend by SuperAntiSpyware.com)on my machines that needs 5 minutes to start and perhaps the same time to update the definition files (CPU usage 100%) - KernelEX comp. mode: default.

Now I' ve tested the newer versions of SAS again with KEX 4.5 RC5. I installed Versions up to 4.37 without any errors in default mode and started them with Win2000SP4 mode. All seem to work fine. The start needs about 10 seconds and also the update is really fast. The scans need 55-90% CPU usage. Interesting: Right click menu entry for direct file scan.

Setup version 4.38 to 4.46 shows following message:  Install error - Error starting services, aborting installation (tried with different compatibility modes)

BTW since june I have a lot of trouble with Spybot's teatimer (100% CPU usage and freezing). I don't use it anymore.

Where are the older versions of SAS available from?

I may try this myself, but then I have 98 whereas you have ME.

I downloaded installed 4.37.0.1000 on default mode with KEX 4.5 RC5, and started the program in Windows 2000 SP4.

Problem I have noticed is when I add some folders for the custom scanning, as soon as I add them, if I hit close and try to perhaps add more the folder path I have just added is gone every time!

Have SuperantiSpyware stopped recognising firefox cookies for any reason? as I must have at least one cookie that is known to be a tracking cookie, it still doesn't seem to be able to scan the firefox cookies folder.

:unsure:

SAS detects Firefox Cookies since version 4.39.  Changelog (filehippo): Detects and removes Firefox and Chrome cookies (must have browser closed while scanning to remove cookies). Obviously 4.37 detects only the IE Cookies! 

And I can confirm that the folderselection for Custom Scan doesn't work. I will check if  the problem is only concerned to this version.

SAS detects Firefox Cookies since version 4.39.  Changelog (filehippo): Detects and removes Firefox and Chrome cookies (must have browser closed while scanning to remove cookies). Obviously 4.37 detects only the IE Cookies! 

And I can confirm that the folderselection for Custom Scan doesn't work. I will check if  the problem is only concerned to this version.

I would need to therefore require to have SAS version 4.39 being that I use FF3.6 as I would prefer the cookies to be scanned.

Kind of think I won't get that version as you have already said there is a problem from 4.38 onwards, your quote below.

Setup version 4.38 to 4.46 shows following message: Install error - Error starting services, aborting installation (tried with different compatibility modes)

I managed to install version 4.39 but unsure how I managed it as I too got the same install errors, however the right click on menu doesn't work, and I am certain it isn't getting to the firefox cookies either, so it's not much good to me version 4.39

Also same problem with the paths disappearing after closing.