Move and Migration of Printers, shares, folder with NTFS from 2003 to

Droiyan3

Hallo all,

i am on my jurney on becoming an MCSA on 2003 ( will be passing exam 70-290 ) this sunday, however i have very little real life expirience . I have been now tasked to install on a new server Server 2008 Standard edition. Our current server has the 2003 version. THe primary jobs are being a file server and a print server. My question would be

1. Is there a way how to move all printer shares to the new server with its permisions

2. How to move all network shares from the old server to the new ones while retaining the NTFS permisions ?

thanks a lot !

• 5 weeks later...

Hallo all,

i am on my jurney on becoming an MCSA on 2003 ( will be passing exam 70-290 ) this sunday, however i have very little real life expirience . I have been now tasked to install on a new server Server 2008 Standard edition. Our current server has the 2003 version. THe primary jobs are being a file server and a print server. My question would be

1. Is there a way how to move all printer shares to the new server with its permisions

2. How to move all network shares from the old server to the new ones while retaining the NTFS permisions ?

thanks a lot !

1) - i think this will depend on if you are talking 32 or 64 bit versions, i have a similar job of going from 2003 x86 to a 2008R2 x64 and most info you find on the internet (even on technet) doesn't mention that a x86 printer driver isn't going to work on x64. Sounds obvious but that one of the hardest part of doing the conversion. I think the best method is to add the x64 drivers to the 2003 print server, then on the 2008 install the print management role, you should be then able to add another print server to the print management console (i'm not positive in 2008 but its possible in 2008R2), after that you can right-click the 2003 print server in the 2008 Console and select export - which will save all the settings to a file, then you right click your 2008 print server in the console and import. I don't think it will import permisssions but you might need to report on that - i am curious on it. Personally i would assign printers by Security groups so that its very simple to reapply permissions if necessary.

2) - use the robocopy tool (built in with 2008), you can read up on all the switches, but i think you want is something like /copyall or /DATSOU, these might be wrong so read up on the right switches. There also exists a few GUI front-ends for robocopy which is why i don't remember the switch. BTW - both servers need to be in AD for this to work. I suggest testing before a real migration.