Hard-Drive Boot?

guinea

I've gone thru the full process of creating a slipstreamed XP XP3, but DID NOT create an ISO. I did this on my C: Drive, which has a full Microsoft XP XP2 installation. I have 2 other empty logical partitions on the Drive, and now want to install the slipstreamed version onto either of those drives Can I do this directly with the "setup.exe" that is in the slipstreamed XP root directory, or some other file? I don't want to create an ISO and CD -- I just want to install from the Hard Drive.

I've gone thru the full process of creating a slipstreamed XP XP3, but DID NOT create an ISO. I did this on my C: Drive, which has a full Microsoft XP XP2 installation. I have 2 other empty logical partitions on the Drive, and now want to install the slipstreamed version onto either of those drives Can I do this directly with the "setup.exe" that is in the slipstreamed XP root directory, or some other file? I don't want to create an ISO and CD -- I just want to install from the Hard Drive.

guinea, good question and I would like to know the answer. You did not attach your Last Session.ini, so we cannot look at it (please do attach it). I would suggest you give it a try, but backup your running system if you can. It may work or not, just be especially careful what partition you select to install XP. If you get an error, please post a screen shot and we will look into it. Have you tested your nLite build data? I recommend you test it on a virtual system first. VMware Player, VirtualPC and VirtualBox are all free. BTW, I install W7 from my XP partition (called flat install) since I mostly run W7. Enjoy, John.

John...

OK, I'll take the VM thing under advisement. But are you suggesting that I CAN use the setup.exe (over 1 mb in size) that is in my slip-streamed XP dir, for initiating the installation? Or are you just wishing me luck in trying any of the execs under the tree, in an attempt to install the slip-streamed XP?

John...

OK, I'll take the VM thing under advisement. But are you suggesting that I CAN use the setup.exe (over 1 mb in size) that is in my slip-streamed XP dir, for initiating the installation? Or are you just wishing me luck in trying any of the execs under the tree, in an attempt to install the slip-streamed XP?

guinea, I actually tried it under VM once but it failed with bad file messages. I have several modified Windows files (.dll, .exe) and I do my install with SFC (System File Checker) disabled. I assume the errors were from these modified files and let it go at that. This is one reason I had asked to see your Last Session.ini. I am glad to read that -X- has tried with success. Enjoy, John.

May I remind everyone of the existence of both WINNT.EXE (DOS) and WINNT32.EXE (Windows) tools? (of course if you did not remove them).

Additionally:

WinNTSetup :thumbup :

I had a lot time the last weeks and were trying to setup Windows XP x64 through LiveXP.

It seems the best way is to imitate the winnt32.exe Process. So I wrote this small program called WinNTSetup.

Features:

• Install Windows 2k/XP/2003 x86/x64
  • patch uxtheme to allow unsigned Themes
  • Chooseable driveletter for the new Windowsinstallation *New
  • Install Windows also if nlite has remove winnt32.exe *New
  • Integrate Drivers: normal PNP and Textmode Drivers also *New

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7721

jaclaz