Possible bug with new content link

Octopuss

I noticed a weird behavior in approximately last week or so. Whenever I click on new content link, it shows wrong results.

Example from few minutes ago:

New content

There are 4 new entries since Today, 01:12 PM

But I haven't visited the forums since yesterday night!

It's most siginificant when I only open them up say once a day during a week. There would be lots of new threads and replies, but the link usually shows maybe five... With last visit being nonsense like an hour or two before.

• 1 month later...

Any updates? It's still not working at all. I just opened the forums minute ago and new content link says "... since 9:32 today", which is nonsense.

One interesting thing though, 9:32 is roughly the time I started Opera. I didn't have MSFN opened in any tab though.

Well, it used to work correctly for me too, so Opera was not a problem, but after the switching to new style it's "fubar". I really don't know. I don't have the knowledge to test what's causing it either. All I know is I am using Opera 10.63 and the link is not working for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is anyone going to do anything about this? It's really frustrating.

I can give you an example of wrong behavior of this function:

Let's say I start Opera ay 7AM at home, do not visit the forums at all, close Opera, go to work, and when I open the forums there, the link says "new content since today, 7AM". This is WRONG. It did work before the last style changes here. Please investigate. Please.

Edited by TheWalrus

I am wondering if this isn't just a problem here. I have noticed users complain of this on other IPB forums I am on too. Everytime I click it, it works for me, but I do not use this feature enough to know if it is working properly or not.

@TheWalrus: Maybe it's Opera's SpeedDial or RSS Feeds or something similar? It doesn't do that here, but I've edited all possible settings to tame it down.

Another very confusing issue is: when a topic is read, it gets removed from the list, instead of just being displayed as faded (read). But I think it's unrelated to this.

GL

I honestly have no idea. It must be Opera related, because xper stated it works well in IE.

What I found out so far is that it's enough to just start Opera without even having MSFN in any tab at all. I will see about the RSS feeds, but that wouldn't make any sense as they aren't from the forums but rather the main web. But if it is the RSS's, then something is not coded the right way I'd say.

Not using Speed dial (no idea what it does anyway).

Ok I nailed it down. The behavior is caused by RSS feeds. I have no idea why, because the news on the main web shouldn't be tied to the forums at all (but then again that's just my amateur opinion), but that's the way it is.

xper, is there anything you can do about it?