Help with drivers in WIM file

jperry

Hi all, new poster here, hope I do it right.

My first attempt at using AIK to create an image and I am having trouble inserting a network driver into my WIM file. I have included the INF and SYS files into a folder. When I run DISM to add the driver it tells me that it found 1 driver to add (e1k6232.inf for Intel gigabit device) then fails with error code 2 saying an error has occurred, the system cannot find the file specified . I need to know exactly what files need to be included in the driver folder to successfully add the driver. Can anybody help me please?? Maybe one day Microsoft will release some easy to use software!!!

Hi all, new poster here, hope I do it right.

My first attempt at using AIK to create an image and I am having trouble inserting a network driver into my WIM file. I have included the INF and SYS files into a folder. When I run DISM to add the driver it tells me that it found 1 driver to add (e1k6232.inf for Intel gigabit device) then fails with error code 2 saying an error has occurred, the system cannot find the file specified . I need to know exactly what files need to be included in the driver folder to successfully add the driver. Can anybody help me please?? Maybe one day Microsoft will release some easy to use software!!!

jperry, welcome, actually I think DISM is fairly easy to use. Here is a good place to start. You need to include all the files/folders that come with the driver. These usually include .inf, .sys, .cat and maybe .dll, .cab and folder(s). Did DISM tell you what file(s) were missing? If it did not in the command prompt output, then look in the DISM log file. The link is usually provided in the command prompt output - if not search for dism.log (my last one was in C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log. Enjoy, John.

Not only check in the dism log but look in %Mount%\Windows\inf for setupapi.offline.log in the mounted folder for the INF name and it should tell you the file(s) you are missing...why dont you upload the driver folders as you have it so we can check it

Edited by ricktendo64

First before doing all that work, post the command you are using, and verify that the files are in those locations. Here is an example command I have used in the past:

DISM /IMAGE:c:\winpe_x86\mount /ADD-DRIVER /DRIVER:D:\Drivers\Intel\DQ57TM\PROWin32\PRO1000\Win32\NDIS62\e1k6232.inf

EDIT: there is no space before e1k6232.inf as it appears in my example. That is a formatting error with the forum.

• 3 weeks later...

DISM is horribly case sensitive and requires that all path statements in its command line commands are entered exactly as they are displayed in windows. This is very Unix/Linux like and for example results in C:\temp and C:\TEMP being different locations to DISM even though to windows they are the same. I suggest that you copy and paste the full path to any driver files into the command to avoid case sensitivity issues. In addition, if you copy the path from Windows explorer to a text editor and need to add quotes to the command line you are editing, be careful that your text editor does not use smart quotes which will look the same as regular quotes on the command line but will also generate this error.

The developer who wrote the code for DISM should be retrained on programming for Windows.

DISM is horribly case sensitive

This isn't the first time that I've seen someone post something along these lines. The problem I have with this is that I have never seen an issue where DISM is case sensitive. I have found it works equally well in both upper, lower or mixed case. There may be a configuration difference in the environments I have used it compared to others, so that may be possible.

If I may, something is either CaSe SeNsItIvE or not.

Nothing "horrible" about any of the two choices. :unsure:

BTW, windows NT/2K/XP etc. install disks have traditionally been cAsE sEnSiTiVe and they additionally SUCK in the way they are conceived, but still the guys at MS are there and keep programming - mostly - in "queer" ways. :angel

jaclaz

woww. jfx is here with first post. wellcome. :)

Maybe i can talk about the topic title too. I don't know why but i do not use dism to integrate drivers. It's reason can be when i did that first time i investigated directory structure i see that it puts inf files as oem*.inf and it makes complex to understand which oem*.inf is for which driver file. Also i remember something that there was oem folders which driver files copied inside. So i changed my way to put inf files to inf folders and sys files to sys folder. Of course it is not a perfect way to integrate drivers. Driver files complain about it can not find sys and sourcediskfiles sections. I removed them with semicolons but this time need to patch many inf files and manual editing destroys driver signutures. And the latest way i discovered is;

*i put inf file to inf folder.

*i put correspondent sys files to drivers folder.

*i put correspondent dll files and coinstallers to system32 folder.

*i put correspondent inf folder to winsxs folder. correspondent manifest files to manifest folder.

there are drvindex.dat,INFCACHE.1,infpub.dat,infstor.dat,infstrng.dat. when you integrate drivers with dism it enumarates drivers and adds database that that wim has that driver inside. so i change them with windows 7 setup big files that has all driver ids. also i add correspondent FileRepository folder and en-us driver loc file. also Windows\System32\catroot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\*.cat files related with drivers.

Another way is use install.wim of embedded. to add desired drivers to embedded with dism. and to use drvindex.dat,INFCACHE.1,infpub.dat,infstor.dat,infstrng.dat from it. it will be less size of driver database with desired driver ids.

Only Packages and Feature names have to be use in the right case with Dism.

Or has anyone really discovered further issues with case senistivity?

I am Glad to see Patch Master around :whistle:

Welcome JFX

@jperry

Sorry jperry, no comment about topic, JFX is a verry good friend which we missed his sharing wisdom for a long while.

(well, truely we see JFX on 911cd and forum.sanbarrow.com time to time ;) , sharing some true good works, google would help if you wonder...)

Since it is his first post around msfn, I feel to welcome him.

Edited by Lancelot_Real

Hi all, thanks for your replies, I now have a bootable image that actually works. I found that the secret ingredients were

2 tblspoons of help from forum members

4 cups of google search facilities

1 pinch of belief in Microsoft documentation

10 cups of persistance with almost impossible to type line commands

Mixed together in a windows 7 pot and hey presto one bootable CD.

Again thanks for your help and I will use this space for help again should I need it.

JPerry

I found that the secret ingredients were

Naaah :no: , there is NO secret ingredient. ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0441773/quotes?qt0448742

Mr. Ping: The secret ingredient is... nothing!

Po: Huh?

Mr. Ping: You heard me. Nothing! There is no secret ingredient.

Po: Wait, wait... it's just plain old noodle soup? You don't add some kind of special sauce or something?

Mr. Ping: Don't have to. To make something special you just have to believe it's special.

[Po looks at the scroll again, and sees his reflection in it]

Po: There is no secret ingredient...

:thumbup

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Congragulations.

I need to know exactly what files need to be included in the driver folder to successfully add the driver.

As easy as to look inside drivers inf file and search for files mentioned.

Edited by Kullenen_Ask

Maybe i can talk about the topic title too. I don't know why but i do not use dism to integrate drivers. It's reason can be when i did that first time i investigated directory structure i see that it puts inf files as oem*.inf and it makes complex to understand which oem*.inf is for which driver file.

You can use DISM to show you information about those oem.inf and also shows original inf name and maybe even HwID. I don't have a system to run it on to give you a good cmd example. Read about the /Get-Drivers and /Get-DriverInfo switches for DISM here.

As for driver control besides that, I am working on a new set of images that will be versioned, and all drivers that are added are being documented. How to handle documenting the other HwIDs an inf supports is still unknown at this point but I'm working on it.