Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

VxD versions in XP (and in DOS)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,019 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

The fact that one cannot get the version info for any Linear Executable (a.k.a.: LE, which extensions may be .386, .VXD or .PDR) because, since LEs are not executable on the NT-family OSes, the system doesn't provide the usual Properties- -> Version tab for them, is a minor annoyance for those of us who multiboot Win 9x/ME with Win XP (or other NT-family OSes). I've just thrown together a crude, but effective, DOS application that solves this issue by getting the required info without recourse to the Windows API, and can be downloaded from this post.
Bear in mind that the MS VS_VERSION_INFO structure has *four* version strings: a File Version and a Product Version as hexadecimal numbers, and a File Version and a Product Version as text strings, and that not necessarily do they contain the same info, so my little app lists all four of them. HTH. And thanks to LoneCrusader for providing the inspiration to finally get around to do it! :yes:

Attached Files

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

Resistere pro causa resistentiam.

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 819 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Aha! Thanks dencorso :yes:

Edited by LoneCrusader, 26 December 2010 - 03:19 PM.

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,019 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Here's a new version! :)
I found out that in about 2% of my test files it failed to find actually present version info, due to the presence of a duplicate string (probably a quirk of the linker used to create those .vxds)... that's now fixed, so please do download the new version, which is in post #1, replacing the original release. The new version also prints the filename, which is useful when using it inside FOR loops.

Joseph_sw

Joseph_sw

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Joined 03-August 08
thanks, i also hate xp for deliberately ignoring version info for that format.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users