Questions about how to slipstream a Spanish version of Windows 2000 Pr

Wepver

Hello, thanks guys for this great forum and Merry Christmas to everybody.

Three years ago I successfully created an updated Spanish Windows 2000 Professional cd, thanks to HFSLIP and the Tomcat76's Windows 2000 SP4 list.

Now that there are not going to be any new Windows updates for the 2k versions, I want to create two new cds. One with all the available updates-upgrades, and a light one for a quite old Athlon XP 1.6 256MB PC (without upgrading to Windows Media player 9, installing any “unnecessary” resources eater software or things that are usually useless and could be a security risks for the system integrity.)

After some search I found the bristols’s updated Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Hotfixes list. The matter is that I do not know really much about Windows updates and everything related to slipstreaming. Without the Tomcat76's Dynamic hotfix lists I get lost. (I tried “Windows Updates Downloader” too, but after downloading the updates I do not know where to place them for slipstreaming the CD.)

Are “WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe” and the files under “Required to access Windows Update” and “Required to access Microsoft Update & Office Update” useless now? Should I remove them from the slipstreaming?

If I am right then Server only files should not be included

I cannot find the Spanish version of Script 5.7. Is it OK to add its English version?. Is better to add just the IE6’s one? (I mean, the files have different names and I do not know if this could affect the slipstreaming process. SCRIPTEN.CAB, SCRIPTES.CAB)

What is the meaning of “FDV not recommended”?

Is the Windows2000-KB976323-x86-ENU.EXE only needed when the Windows 2k machine is a mail server, such as Hotmail for example?

Do I have to do any change in the HFSLIP_PRE_TZ4 files to implement the Timezone updates to the Spanish version of Windows 2k? (Replace ENU by ESN)

Do I have to do anything to automatically update the European countries currency to € or it is already implemented?

What version of HFSLIP should I use for slipstreaming and updated Spanish Windows 2k cd?

(Sorry for my English)

I'm interested in the same thing you are (not Spanish) and have been investigating it for a while.

I can't answer all your questions but I can get you started.

After some search I found the bristolss updated Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Hotfixes list

You mean this page, right?

Becasue the answer to this question is really close:

What is the meaning of FDV not recommended?

See Step 3 on this page.

This page is probably the best information in general about what you want to do, especially with regard to the Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Hotfixes list.

Without the Tomcat76's Dynamic hotfix lists I get lost

Tomcat76's Dynamic hotfix lists are still available here.

If I am right then Server only files should not be included

That's my understanding.

Is the Windows2000-KB976323-x86-ENU.EXE only needed when the Windows 2k machine is a mail server, such as Hotmail for example?

Yes, if you install the SMTP service, then you'd want that fix. But I don't think it has anything to do with Hotmail. This would be if you wanted to provide your own mail service for a local network, or wanted the mail server to interact with other mail servers on the Internet.

What version of HFSLIP should I use for slipstreaming and updated Spanish Windows 2k cd?

Probably doesn't matter too much as long as you have one. A good place to get one would be Mim0's site here.

Mim0 maintains the XP update list here, and in the "Table 6: Files used by HFSLIP" section you can find links to a couple versions.

(Sorry for my English)

Actually, your English is pretty good.

Edited by jinjou

Thanks very much for your answers.

My question about the removal of “WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe”, the files under “Required to access Windows Update” and “Required to access Microsoft Update & Office Update” was because now there are not going to be new updates and the links to IEAWSDC.CAB and opuc4.cab files are broken.

I sorry, but I still do not understand what “FDV not recommended” means. Does it means that this update should not be placed in FDV, that I better remove FDV folder or maybe that it should not be used with the filesets? (I have never used a fileset because I do not know if it works fine on the Spanish version of Windows and what changes it makes to the system integrity.)

The problem with Tomcat76's Dynamic hotfix is that it is outdated. I do not know what files do I need to create an updated Windows CD.

So, HFSLIP 1.7.10 beta J v4 should work fine.

the removal of “WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe”

I'm not sure that it would be a bad idea to include this, since it might be important for non-update related software.

now there are not going to be new updates

True, so you could leave those out.

However, check here for additional updates (see post #3). Yes, they're for English, but they might still be useful.

the links to IEAWSDC.CAB and opuc4.cab files are broken.

Actually, you can find links to those here.

I sorry, but I still do not understand what “FDV not recommended” means. Does it means that this update should not be placed in FDV, that I better remove FDV folder or maybe that it should not be used with the filesets? (I have never used a fileset because I do not know if it works fine on the Spanish version of Windows and what changes it makes to the system integrity.)

Uh, just to be clear, what FDV provides is a fileset that may or may not be used, in whole or in part. “FDV not recommended” means he thinks you shouldn't bother including those updates, but they're included in the update list because M$ officially released them for 2000. The updates go in the folder indicated on the updates list.

FDV's files go in the FDV folder. If the FDV folder is empty, then nothing happens. If you include all or part of his files, then those that are included in the folder are used. I say "in part" because you could choose to not use everything included or not, depending on your preferences and your understanding of what those files cause to be changed about the installation of 2000.

Let me suggest that, to start out, you not use his files until you get everything working. Then, plan on spending a bunch of time reading his files before you use them (this is about where I'm at right now). They're very interesting and informative reading (to me), and afterwards, you'll understand their purpose and what they do better (they have a lot of comments in them). You should then understand that you may want to modify his files before you use them. This is the means by which you can "configure" the effect they have.

The problem with Tomcat76's Dynamic hotfix is that it is outdated. I do not know what files do I need to create an updated Windows CD.

True, you should use the update list at FDV's site, since that one is still being "maintained".

So, HFSLIP 1.7.10 beta J v4 should work fine.

Actually, I think Maxfutur was refering to 1.7.9 when he said "Last official version"

However, I don't believe it will matter much. I've been using 1.7.10 beta J v3 (hadn't noticed v4 was available yet), and it seems to work OK for me.

Edited by jinjou

It's amazing! There are people releasing unofficial paths for Win2k.

Jinjou, thanks a lot for your advice and information. They were really helpful for me. (I was lost in the information’s oceans)

It will take me sometime, but I think that now I can slipstream my own Windows 2000 Pro’s cd.

Actually, you can find links to those here.

Thanks for the upload to ykchanaed and Maxfutur. (It seems that the Maxfutur’s link has a more updated version of opuc.dll)