Boot Samsung Monitor Services only when necessary

Ambassador

First you'd need to know if the Samsung software actually runs if the monitor is not plugged in. If it doesn't run then you could schedule it normally. If it does run, then you'll need a wrapper for launching this software. There may be better ways to do this, but this is the first thing that comes to mind:

When the monitor is connected, it should appear in Device Manager as a specific name. If it shows up as Generic Monitor, there could be an issue, Even so, there should be a unique ID that the monitor will notify Windows with. Is this an LCD or a CRT monitor?

Basically, your "wrapper" would be set up with logic like this:

IF "device x" is detected THEN run program.exe ELSE do nothing.

Which monitor is it for? and what exactly does the software do?

I have just installed Win7 on a new system with a Samsung SyncMaster P2450H. The monitor was recognised at install as a Generic monitor however when visiting Microsoft Update I was offered an optional one for my monitor which now shows as its correct name. I cannot think of any reason why I'd need to install specific software for the monitor, therefore I haven't and have suffered no ill effects as a result.

The software which came on the supplied CD-ROM with the User's Guide and (non-used) Monitor Driver was MagicTune 1.0.122 and MultiScreen 3.0.0. I have no idea what either of them will give me that I cannot get now or possibly through something I already have, but neither of them are requirements.

First you'd need to know if the Samsung software actually runs if the monitor is not plugged in. If it doesn't run then you could schedule it normally. If it does run, then you'll need a wrapper for launching this software. There may be better ways to do this, but this is the first thing that comes to mind:

Looks like I will need to make a wrapper then. Is a wrapper some sort of script?

When the monitor is connected, it should appear in Device Manager as a specific name. If it shows up as Generic Monitor, there could be an issue, Even so, there should be a unique ID that the monitor will notify Windows with. Is this an LCD or a CRT monitor?

It shows up as a unique monitor (SyncMaster E2020), so that shouldn't be a problem. It is an LCD monitor connected through a digital port.

Which monitor is it for? and what exactly does the software do?

I have just installed Win7 on a new system with a Samsung SyncMaster P2450H. The monitor was recognised at install as a Generic monitor however when visiting Microsoft Update I was offered an optional one for my monitor which now shows as its correct name. I cannot think of any reason why I'd need to install specific software for the monitor, therefore I haven't and have suffered no ill effects as a result.

The software which came on the supplied CD-ROM with the User's Guide and (non-used) Monitor Driver was MagicTune 1.0.122 and MultiScreen 3.0.0. I have no idea what either of them will give me that I cannot get now or possibly through something I already have, but neither of them are requirements.

I installed the driver and latest MagicTune software directly from the website. The software and its services start up regardless if the monitor is plugged into my laptop or not. When it isn't, it gives me the usual unsupported monitor message and then hangs. I know I could have lived without installing the software, but it is moderately useful.

A wrapper is a program, script or batch file that "wraps" around another program. So yes, it is just a script if we keep the terms simple.

You need to first be able to detect your monitor. The best bet would probably use WMI. You need to detect if it is connected... I'm not sure which class it would appear in! You'll have to play around with that. I had written a program that gets motherboard info from WMI, but you can get other info if you want also. You could also maybe check the registry, but the keys for monitors do not always get removed when you disconnect them. I made a post here about how to read WMI:

Once you get something started, and you still need help, make a post here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/66-programming-c-delphi-vbvbs-cmdbatch-etc/

Or we can move this thread there instead.