Trying to use Infinst to add drivers to win-98 install

Guest wsxedcrfv

Using the batch.exe program, I'm able to create msbatch.inf which contains a lot of stuff needed for an automatic or pre-configured install. One thing that had be scratching my head was -> why am I being asked to accept the EULA when I had "ShowEula=0" in my msbatch.inf file, and why (during installation) am I being shown the product key that I already put in the msbatch.inf file.

Both are second edition, and both say "For distribution with a new PC only." Does that make them "OEM" ?

Basically, what sort of Win-98 CD do I have to have in order for the "ShowEula=0" to work as advertised - and how are those CD's labeled?

To Question Number Two - Yes, they are OEM.

To Questions One and Three - Please, please, PLEASE REREAD my MSBATCH.INF notes (inside) that SPECIFICALLY references your particular problem. (YES, I re-inspected mine and it's an OEM version and even told you which sections are "missing".) I don't even have to touch it as it runs Fully Unattended.

MS does NOT tell you everything in KB's, the rest is within the OPK (of which I have no clue where this Win9x "package" is as it seems to not exist).

Guest wsxedcrfv

Please, please, PLEASE REREAD my MSBATCH.INF notes (inside) that SPECIFICALLY references your particular problem.

Do you mean msbatch.txt that you linked to in post #26 above? Where it says this:

---------------

HKLM,%KEY_CURR_VER%,"ProductId",,"12345-XXX-1234567-12345"

----------------

So if I take the PID that's in my registry right now and throw it on that line, as well as add "AddReg=OPKInstall," to one of the [install] lines, that's what enables ShowEula=0 to work properly?

Does the line " ProductType=x" found in \win98\wininf\SETUPPP.INF play any role here?

MS does NOT tell you everything in KB's, the rest is within the OPK (of which I have no clue where this Win9x "package" is as it seems to not exist).

-----------------

The OPK is shipped with every Windows 95 and Windows 98 OEM CD-ROM. They are present under the \Tools folder in Windows 95 and the \Tools\Admin folder for Windows 98.

----------------

When I look there, all I see is the file mkcwrt.exe (78 kb) which if I unpack manually gives a single file -> MKCWRT.BAT (6 kb - WTF?).

However, this describes how to generate the wizard directory: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=208

Which I tried, and it did work (after messing with it a little). Use this from the command prompt from this directory: \Tools\Admin:

mkcwrt /C:"command.com /C mkcwrt.bat D: C:\wizard"

Replace "D:" with the path to your win-98 CD image (if you don't have a win-98 CD in your D drive).

Yes, I'm aware of the OPK stuff (mkcwrt). No, the OPK doesn't tell you everything. Yes, some items the OEM had to subsequently "manually" modify and/or "run" during setup. I have a "sample" (somewhere) that allows selection of Win95 or Win98 for the OS to use (uses a MINI-Win). Unnecessary for your purposes (unless you just want to fool around).

Suggestion... Take mine, compare to yours, ignore anything irrelevant, and insert into yours anything relevant (and missing). The OEM portions are the most significant (as to the notations). The "ProductType" entry is for OEM usage and is irrelevant (yes, inserted from the SETUPPP.INF). They sometimes used an "upgrade" variation and used it to "reset" it to OEM (or whatever).

Explanation -

OEMDrivers is to "point" to where you put your Drivers on the HDD. Appears to have to hard-code the locations... Some OEM's "hard-wired" the Installation CD to a certain CD-ROM so it "worked".

OPKInstall is to pre-set certain values. Bear in mind that OEM's were required to display some kind of EULA and potentially would force a Buyer to enter their Name and Org or have something like "Valued XXX Customer". Fiddling with this is the way I/We discovered the "required to prevent interruption".

So... YES! Give the changes you say a shot.

Proceed... you have the idea ;)

Basically, what sort of Win-98 CD do I have to have in order for the "ShowEula=0" to work as advertised - and how are those CD's labeled?

My similar run in with MSBatch.inf was fixed by setting EBD=0 which then allowed the EULA to not show. Which then caused the default given product key given in MSBatch.inf to be used as designed. Don't know why, don't much care since the 'science' of it all seems to really not be documented or bug fixed to any real extent **IF** what I did allowed me to finally do full hands off installs of win98se full retail. And it did. I later came up with an inf file that "installed" the EBD folder with files that you don't get if you have EBD=0. There is a [EBD_CopyFiles] and [EBD_CopyFiles2] section in MSDOS.inf that covers the files concerned.

My ProductType is 101 and I haven't yet found where it comes from. But the retail disks say "for PCs without Windows" and are NOT bootable. OEM disks are bootable and do say "For distribution with a new PC only".

Keep after it and you will get it eventually. Biggest tip I can give is to add a line to MSBatch.inf to copy itself to Windows folder where is was designed to work from as soon as possible. Or change the paths in the file to match where it's at.

Guest wsxedcrfv

My similar run in with MSBatch.inf was fixed by setting EBD=0 which then allowed the EULA to not show.

Yea, I had that line in my MSBatch, right under ShowEula=0, but it didn't work. I haven't yet tried the new-and-improved msbatch as described above.

My ProductType is 101 and I haven't yet found where it comes from. But the retail disks say "for PCs without Windows" and are NOT bootable. OEM disks are bootable and do say "For distribution with a new PC only".

After googling for ["windows 98" ProductType 101] I came across a pdf file containing lots of, shall we say - information, with the following headings:

Windows 98 Upgrade (Type 102)

Windows 98 Update (Type 112)

Windows 98 Retail Full (Type 101)

Windows 98 OEM Full (Type 115)

Windows 98 Microsoft Internal "Select" CD (Type 110)

So your CD appears to be a full retail version. I wonder how different the "select" CD is...

Here (more-or-less accurate). And there are differences in file content as well, e.g. Type 112 is actually (AFAIK) a "Step-Up" and is "incomplete" (steps FE to SE). Select and MSDN are almost (literally) the same as Retail, as is Upgrade (but not necessarily).

There are ways to "cheat" for installs (same as the OEM's did) but I'm not saying (info is already on WWW). An example is the Type=120 where the OEM's used the MSBATCH.INF (perhaps using Select?). AFAIK, MSDN and Select used MSBATCH.INF for the Product Key.

Not really sure about the 103,104 (Floppy? Not so sure as that's a lot of floppies!), and 105. They may be more relevant to the Win95-series. I've yet to see any of them or types 116 or 120 (except the 120 using MSBATCH.INF). I'm assuming this has to do with the full OPK, even though it "appears" to be on the single Cd, I'm betting there's a second one containing further info and software (e.g. PISETUP.EXE? Not Picture-It! on the HP OmniBook Recovery CD).

Rather not go into all of the details. It beat my po-widdle-head to death figuring this out.

I have (so this info is more-or-less accurate) -

Retail

Upgrade

MSDN

Select

OEM

Step-Up (incomplete - cabs are definitely different)

Edited by submix8c

:blink:

AFAIK All of the CAB's are the same, so long as you have a "full version" CD and not an upgrade.

The only thing that is different and that determines the "Type" of install is contained in SETUPX.DLL like Petr explained here.

Modify that file to make it whichever you want..... :whistle:

Edited by LoneCrusader

Guest wsxedcrfv

So I have the following in my msbatch.inf file:

[setup]

ProductKey="xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx"

EBD=0

ShowEula=0

[install]

AddReg=OPKInstall, (...)

[OPKInstall]

HKLM,%KEY_CURR_VER%,"ProductId",,"xxxxx-OEM-xxxxxxx-xxxxx"

(BTW, is it necessary to x-out the PID when posting? I mean, does it contain any sort of confidential or protected information? Is the PID unique, or generated from the product key?)

So despite having the above in my msbatch.inf file, this is what happened during win-98 installation. I was prompted for the following:

1) User name and Computer name. My pre-configured names for those items were present in the text-entry boxes, so I had to hit the Next button to proceed.

2) Accept the EULA (click the radio button) and hit Next.

3) I was presented with the product key entry window (my pre-configured product key was already entered) so I had to hit Next.

I wanted the install to sail through without encountering the above interactions. What am I doing wrong?

After the installation was finished and windows was up and running, I have these issues or questions:

- how to have the default VGA monitor driver automatically installed (I have to help windows locate some default driver).

- how to NOT have "setup MSN internet access" and "connect to the internet" desktop icons present?

- how to NOT have task scheduler start automatically?

So I have a bunch of different win-98 CD's, but two in particular that I have handy are as follows: One is covered entirely with a hologram map of the world and has this part number: 0499 Part No. X05-29232.

Hmmm ... that hologram and "X05" seem similar to the mystery CD-ROM that was once discussed here :

Joe.

Guest wsxedcrfv

Is there any way that msoobe.exe (out of box experience) can be killed as part of an unattended or pre-configured win-98 installation?

I can't run IE without msoobe launching itself and insisting that I use it to configure my computer's modem (WTF?).

Is there a win-98 unattended installation thread, where all these various pre-configuration topics are discussed?

I want to see the "connect to the internet" and "set up msn internet access" desktop icons killed during installation. I don't want to see them on my desktop the first time win-98 boots up. I don't want oobe to run when I launch IE. Is there no way to do this?

How much can I cram in here and reference properly; hmmm...

After googling for...I came across...information....Windows 98 Upgrade (etc.)...
Here (more-or-less accurate). And there are differences in file content as well, e.g. Type 112 is actually...There are ways to "cheat"...(info is already on WWW)...OEMStep-Up (incomplete - cabs are definitely different)
AFAIK All of the CAB's are the same, so long as you have a "full version" CD and not an upgrade.The only thing that is different and that determines the "Type" of install is contained in SETUPX.DLL like Petr explained here. Modify that file to make it whichever you want.....
Um, really? Fine, just what I said but with embellishments/AFAIK's. But if you reread, I kind of said that (i.e. "search"); you got specific; kool... Oh, and BTW, when you find those strings (with a hex-editor), extract and modify the LAYOUT.INF (also in a PRECOPYn.CAB, section [sourceDisksNames]) to point to the WIN98 folder (example at top of file, e.g. SETUP.EXE to prevent "extraction search") for SETUPX. The LAYOUT.INF is always picked up by SETUP.EXE. Not sure if this is actually necessary, but I'd rather do it that way (for testing purposes - I have stated versions).

FYI, some Retails CD's did NOT boot and had a separate Boot Floppy (AFAIK). I have a Win98FE and it boots as well. Also, WinME Bootable has almost all 98SE files and 98SE has a couple of 98FE files.

So I have the following in my msbatch.inf file:

[setup]

ProductKey="xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx"

EBD=0

ShowEula=0

[install]

AddReg=OPKInstall, (...)

[OPKInstall]

HKLM,%KEY_CURR_VER%,"ProductId",,"xxxxx-OEM-xxxxxxx-xxxxx"

(...Is the PID unique, or generated from the product key?)...So despite having the above in my msbatch.inf file, this is what happened during win-98 installation. I was prompted for the following: - ... - What am I doing wrong?

I have these issues or questions:

- how to have the default VGA monitor driver automatically installed (I have to help windows locate some default driver).

- how to NOT have "setup MSN internet access" and "connect to the internet" desktop icons present?

- how to NOT have task scheduler start automatically?

Better look at my "sample" again.

The PID is generated based on the key and SETUPX.DLL (for which you must use the associated Key Type, i.e. ProductType). As I said, if you "fill it in", then that's what displays, regardless of the Type (it over-rides "Generated"). Not so "secret", kind of irrelevant maybe...

The ProductKey has to appear in that same section as well to prevent interruption. The first occurrence is for "user entry", the second occurrence is the OEM Over-Ride (just like the PID). Absolutely necessary!

Issues/Questions:

1 - Try adding this in the [system] section (see my sample) -

DisplChar=16,800,600 ; DisplChar=Colordepth, x, y

I haven't had a problem as long as it's a PnP monitor. If not PnP, I'll have to refresh my beanie... It's good to have the INF for it (if not in the MONITOR inf's) anyway (with INFINST).

2 - Section [OptionalComponents]

"The Microsoft Network"=0

The other is the Internet Connection Wizard (ICW). Check out the [Run.Installed.Components] Section (2nd set). If you want, just "trace down what gets processed" in that part and keep anything "pointed to" in. In addition, check out the other two "sets" of entries to remove stuff and/or set stuff.

3 - I'll have to get back with you... It "disappears" somewhere (a/l w/UBCD)...

edit - YOU POSTED BEFORE I DID!!! And I again recommend reviewing mine. It does all of that and Pre-(during TextMode) and Post-(after FirstBoot) processing. I'll have to look the BAT files over for that to give examples.

As I said, this is "basic info" being provided from the now-defunct UBCD thread.

edit2 - DANGIT! I don't know if the [installLocationsMRU] section is relevant or not (I rechecked you INF; should be nearly correct). BTW, you did add the OPK stuff in the [install] section right?

Edited by submix8c

Um, really? Fine, just what I said but with embellishments/AFAIK's. But if you reread, I kind of said that (i.e. "search"); you got specific; kool... Oh, and BTW, when you find those strings (with a hex-editor), extract and modify the LAYOUT.INF (also in a PRECOPYn.CAB, section [sourceDisksNames]) to point to the WIN98 folder (example at top of file, e.g. SETUP.EXE to prevent "extraction search") for SETUPX. The LAYOUT.INF is always picked up by SETUP.EXE. Not sure if this is actually necessary, but I'd rather do it that way (for testing purposes - I have stated versions).

My post wasn't really directed to you, it was for the OP, I'm sure you are aware of that particular method. ;)

I just thought that would be the easiest way to get around the problem at hand.

A modified extracted SETUPX.DLL will be picked up by the installer like any other "updated" file placed in the install directory, no "need" to edit LAYOUT.INF, but it's whatever you prefer.

Well, FWIW... Apparently an OEM version "requires" extra entries, whereas a Retail one doesn't. I haven't tried this as I have been "reloading" old PC's using the OEM set; it's what they came with.

I guess it's your personal option - extract and X-edit the SETUPX or just use a functional MSBATCH. I prefer the MSBATCH method as this doesn't involving "hacking" (as it were).

BTW, statement stands - if you X-edit, then you need a functional Retail key. Kind of puts a google-search and retest-retest-retest on folks, don't it? Heck, even the Select and MSDN versions need a "specific" key. Win95 can be "cheated" directly via the MSBATCH (re the Key/Type; I've done it), whereas any Win9x above that can't. I may be wrong, since there's an "extra" set of entries that I don't use (and may do just that).

@wsxedcrfv - Just try my version and remove any references to Presave and Postsave (they're similar to the XP version of TextMode and FirstBoot) to get a "clean" (no fixes, updates, etc) install, and insert/change those "extra settings" that you have; leave the rest in. You'll be surprised as all of the "optional crap" kind of "disappears".

edit (before even posting!) -

Aw, KRAP! the MSN is not "killed" until after FirstBoot (via a REG entry). Well, "sigh", I guess the UBCD topic will need to be revisited with Samples. I'm not sure how complicated it might get if you insist on installing from CD (Hard-Wired Letter Assigned, remember? Done via DRVCOPY.INF on Boot Floppy). I'll check into how to isolate specific processes for specific items. Anyway, here's the REG file -

REGEDIT4

; kills the MSN icon - i mean really kill, not just delete or anything wussy like that.
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{88667D10-10F0-11D0-8150-00AA00BF8457}]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{88667D10-10F0-11D0-8150-00AA00BF8457}]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{88667D10-10F0-11D0-8150-00AA00BF8457}]

Be sure to have a "blank" at the end to prevent failure (I think).

edit2 - and here is the OEM stuff. You'll need to modify your Boot Disk. It "defaults" to the OEMSETUP in the CD-Boot (and the OEM Floppy Boot). If you use this method, Win98 "honors" the settings inserted into the HDD CONFIG.SYS/AUTOEXEC.BAT and that's what gets "set" in Device Manager. I don't know if this will "work" with a CD/CD-Boot Install (never tried it)...

edit3 - WOOHOO! found some samples (on my HDD) of "Push" installs (for Intel NIC Network Install) that are relevant. And some more DRVCOPY.INF stuff. I'll/We'll get back to you if you have any more problems.

Edited by submix8c

Guest wsxedcrfv

How does Win-98 setup know that it's working with a modified precopy2.cab file? Is there a checksum or similar that it looks for?

I've tried unpacking precopy2.cab and using makecab.exe or cabarc.exe and can't re-create a cab file with the same size as the original.

Or is any of this necessary? Can a modified setupx.dll just be placed in the /win98 install directory - and will be used by setup instead of the one in precopy2?