Trying to use Infinst to add drivers to win-98 install

Guest wsxedcrfv

Guest wsxedcrfv

Oooo-Tay!!!! Googling on "HDX INF" tells me these are for x64 machines. These are not suitable for Win9x. The "HDA.INF" are for 2K and up and also not suitable. Do these really have "Chicago" as a signature? If so, they might work. Doubt it... Probably will have to use the AC97 drivers (WDM_A406.zip). BTW, "Chicago" is valid for 2K/XP. And the INF's may be interpreted different between 9x and 2K/XP. I seem to remember that some NTx.x INF's would not work on 2K/XP (and vise-versa).

Here they are:

www.fileden.com/files/2008/7/19/2010382/HDA.txt

www.fileden.com/files/2008/7/19/2010382/HDX.txt

I had to rename them from inf to txt for fileden to accept them.

Errr, already seen similar ones in "audio_5211_whql.zip". The HDA are strictly for 2K/XP/2K3 and HDX are strictly for Vista/Win7. Sorry... and haven't seen any reference yet to utilize HD Audio in 9x; probably no useable drivers since the technology came afterwards.

edit - maybe this will clarify the differences.

Edited by submix8c

Guest wsxedcrfv

Errr, already seen similar ones in "audio_5211_whql.zip". The HDA are strictly for 2K/XP/2K3 and HDX are strictly for Vista/Win7. Sorry... and haven't seen any reference yet to utilize HD Audio in 9x; probably no useable drivers since the technology came afterwards.

Why does infinst say "no PnP ID was found" for the hdx, but not the hda file?

What is infinst looking for when it says "no PnP ID was found" ?

Is this, by chance the exact message?

"No PnP ID was found in xxxx.inf. This inf will not install any PnP hardware. Do you want to continue?"
Page 211...

And here's why there's a difference in how the parsing is handling this.

HDA -

[AzaliaManufacturerID]
"Realtek Content Creation Bay" = IntcAzAudModel, HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0882&SUBSYS_10EC8888
"Realtek High Definition Audio" = IntcAzAudModel, HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC

HDX -

[AzaliaManufacturerID.NTamd64]
"Realtek High Definition Audio" = IntcAzAudModel, HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC

Notice the "DEV" and "SUBSYS" in the first one? That constitutes a "good" PnP-ID, otherwise INFINST will not recognize it since it's incomplete. 9x doesn't recognize the format . You should do a google on INF formats and what's necessary for a PnP Device ("DEV" part).

You're probably beating a dead horse, kicking O'le Blue, etc. etc...

But just for giggles, you could attempt to install the XP-x86 onto your Win98 (in a VM or separate partition, natch) to see if it works. Still, doubt it. If it works, well then WOOHOO!!!! Please do report success/failure...

Guest wsxedcrfv

After adding a bunch of new inf files to my win-98 CD image, and transfering that image to a 250 gb SATA drive that already had DOS 7.1 installed on it (and with emm386 completely rem'd out), and then launching the win-98 install on my Asrock motherboard after booting into DOS 7.1, I enountered this soon after the install process started:

---------------------

The file fetndis02.inf on Windows 998se CDrom cannot be found: c:\win98-CD\win98

Error details:

The following error occurred: "The file was not found" [error #2]

Setup could not finish opening a file on the source disk.

Source file: "c:\win98-cd\win98\fetndis02.inf"

Destination file: "c:\wininst0.400\fetndis02.inf=PRECOPY1.CAB"

----------------------

The file "fetndis02.inf" does indeed exist in the \win98 directory of the installation image.

Other than the fact that it has 9 characters in it's name (instead of, say, 8) - does anyone know why win-98 setup is saying that the file doesn't exist?

And just for the record, this is how I'm launching the win-98 setup program:

setup.exe msbatch.inf /IM /ID /IS /IQ /IE /IH /IV /IP /IW /p i /NTLDR

msbatch.inf was created using the win-98 program specifically designed to create it.

Edited by wsxedcrfv

After adding a bunch of new inf files to my win-98 CD image, and transfering that image to a 250 gb SATA drive that already had DOS 7.1 installed on it (and with emm386 completely rem'd out), and then launching the win-98 install on my Asrock motherboard after booting into DOS 7.1, I enountered this soon after the install process started:

---------------------

The file fetndis02.inf on Windows 998se CDrom cannot be found: c:\win98-CD\win98

Error details:

The following error occurred: "The file was not found" [error #2]

Setup could not finish opening a file on the source disk.

Source file: "c:\win98-cd\win98\fetndis02.inf"

Destination file: "c:\wininst0.400\fetndis02.inf=PRECOPY1.CAB"

----------------------

The file "fetndis02.inf" does indeed exist in the \win98 directory of the installation image.

Other than the fact that it has 9 characters in it's name (instead of, say, 8) - does anyone know why win-98 setup is saying that the file doesn't exist?

And just for the record, this is how I'm launching the win-98 setup program:

setup.exe msbatch.inf /IM /ID /IS /IQ /IE /IH /IV /IP /IW /p i /NTLDR

msbatch.inf was created using the win-98 program specifically designed to create it.

The first pass of the installer does not support Long File names. All files copied in the first pass must have Short Names and be renamed in the Second or later passes.

Guest wsxedcrfv

The first pass of the installer does not support Long File names. All files copied in the first pass must have Short Names and be renamed in the Second or later passes.

Ok, so I could re-name it, but there must be some part of the install process or script that is expecting that exact name - no?

Something must be expecting the file name "fetndis02.inf" to exist. Where can I change that to "fetndis2.inf", as well as renaming the file to that name?

And what is meant by this: "c:\wininst0.400\fetndis02.inf=PRECOPY1.CAB"

The error message indicates that as the "destination file". Why is there a reference or inclusion of "=PRECOPY1.CAB" as part of the destination filespec?

Edited by wsxedcrfv

Ok, so I could re-name it, but there must be some part of the install process or script that is expecting that exact name - no?

Something must be expecting the file name "fetndis02.inf" to exist. Where can I change that to "fetndis2.inf", as well as renaming the file to that name?

And what is meant by this: "c:\wininst0.400\fetndis02.inf=PRECOPY1.CAB"

The error message indicates that as the "destination file". Why is there a reference or inclusion of "=PRECOPY1.CAB" as part of the destination filespec?

I assume something you added references the file. Search the files that have been added or changed.

Apparently one of the LAYOUT (LAYOUT*.INF) files specifies that a copy of fetndis02.inf is located in the PRECOPY1.CAB. The "=PRECOPY1.CAB" appended to the Error Message indicates an alternative source.

Unless PRECOPY1.CAB has been rebuilt, it is not goint to be there.

Guest wsxedcrfv

I shortened the file-name fetndis02.inf to 8.3 characters but still got the same error during installation. I then searched all the files in the install image for the presence of "fetndis02.inf" and found it in /win98/custom.inf. I edited that file so that it's references to fetndis02.inf matched the new name I gave the file, and tried the installation again, this time it went smoothly (sort-of).

For one thing, the msbatch.inf file I created wasn't fully followed. The product key I entered was not used - instead I was presented with the screen where I had to enter the product key, and it was already filled in with "XXXXX" in every segment, so I had to manually enter the product key. A few other things (User name / Company name) that were also already in msbatch.inf I had to enter manually.

Windows hung during it's first real boot-up. I re-started using the bootlog.txt option, and saw that it was hanging during the initialization of esdi_506.pdr. I renamed that file and re-booted and this time windows started up. I'm fairly certain that I had configured the BIOS such that the SATA drive attached to the system wasn't being used or seen as an IDE drive, so I'm not sure why esdi_506 was causing a problem here (the drive is 250 gb, but all of this was happening on the 40 gb primary FAT32 partition). With ESDI_506 out of the picture, windows was accessing the drive under DOS compatibility mode. (I have a fuzzy recollection that when I did this 2 years ago, that I was also having problems with hsflop.pdr and had to re-name that one as well - but not this time).

I apparently didn't pre-configure my windows installation image with the VIA chipset drivers, so I ran the setup from the 5.12 version, which seemed to go smoothly, but I didn't see any evidence it found the SATA controller, nor did I find a separate install for the SATA controller. I then installed an NVidia driver package for the video card (6200A-LE) but that's where things went south. Upon next boot, the system would freeze up during the windows spash screen. Re-starting in safe mode and deleting the display adapter worked (it brings me back to standard VGA) but during re-start it "finds new hardware - eVGA 6200" and re-installs the drivers again and I can't stop it (no option to abort).

I have version 5.10 of the Via drivers, and I think it does have win-98 SATA driver, so I'm going to start over and use infinst.exe to install that version of drivers, then I'll putz around with the Nvidia stuff. This isin't turning out to be a smooth process, and if I recall when I did this 2+ years ago with the same Asrock board, it wasn't smooth back then either.

...For one thing, the msbatch.inf file I created wasn't fully followed. The product key I entered was not used - instead I was presented with the screen where I had to enter the product key, and it was already filled in with "XXXXX" in every segment, so I had to manually enter the product key. A few other things (User name / Company name) that were also already in msbatch.inf I had to enter manually...

MSBATCH.INF can be very quirky. I spent many hours trying to get proper MSBATCH.INF's written for my 95C, 98SE, and ME installations. 95C was the hardest. :wacko:

I'll post my working 98SE MSBATCH.INF here for you, you can check and see if it differs from yours in style or specific sections. The "Product Type" of your installation may be affecting it as well, (especially the Product Key issue) i.e. if it is an OEM CD, Full Retail, etc etc.

; MSBATCH.INF
;
; Copyright (c) 1995-1998 Microsoft Corporation.
; All rights reserved.
;

[BatchSetup]
Version=3.0 (32-bit)
SaveDate=01/17/10

[Version]
Signature = "$CHICAGO$"
AdvancedINF=2.5
LayoutFile=layout.inf

[Setup]
Express=0
InstallDir="C:\WINDOWS"
NoDirWarn=1
InstallType=3
OptionalComponents=1
ShowEula=0
ProductKey="XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"
EBD=0
Uninstall=0
TimeZone="Eastern"

[System]
Locale=L0409
SelectedKeyboard=KEYBOARD_00000409

[NameAndOrg]
Name="Your Name"
Display=0

[Network]
ComputerName=YourCompName
Description=YourCompDesc
Clients=VREDIR
Protocols=NWLINK, MSTCP
Security=SHARE

[NWLINK]
Frame_Type=4

[MSTCP]
DHCP=1
DNS=0
WINS=D

[VREDIR]
ValidatedLogon=0

[OptionalComponents]
"Accessibility"=0
"Accessibility Options"=0
"Accessibility Tools"=0
"Accessories"=1
"Briefcase"=0
"Calculator"=1
"Desktop Wallpaper"=1
"Document Templates"=1
"Games"=1
"Imaging"=1
"Mouse Pointers"=1
"Paint"=1
"Quick View"=1
"Screen Savers"=1
"Additional Screen Savers"=1
"Flying Windows"=1
"OpenGL Screen Savers"=1
"Windows Scripting Host"=1
"WordPad"=1
"Communications"=1
"Dial-Up Networking"=1
"Dial-Up Server"=0
"Direct Cable Connection"=1
"Hyper Terminal"=0
"Microsoft Chat 2.5"=0
"NetMeeting"=0
"Phone Dialer"=0
"Virtual Private Networking"=1
"Desktop Themes"=1
"Baseball"=1
"Dangerous Creatures"=1
"Desktop Themes Support"=1
"Inside your Computer"=1
"Jungle"=1
"Leonardo da Vinci"=1
"More Windows"=1
"Mystery"=1
"Nature"=1
"Science"=1
"Space"=1
"Sports"=1
"The 60's USA"=1
"The Golden Era"=1
"Travel"=1
"Underwater"=1
"Windows 98"=1
"Internet Tools"=0
"Microsoft FrontPage Express"=0
"Microsoft VRML 2.0 Viewer"=0
"Microsoft Wallet"=0
"Personal Web Server"=0
"Real Audio Player 4.0"=1
"Web Publishing Wizard"=0
"Web-Based Enterprise Mgmt"=0
"Multilanguage Support"=0
"Baltic"=0
"Central European"=0
"Cyrillic"=0
"Greek"=0
"Turkish"=0
"Multimedia"=1
"Audio Compression"=1
"CD Player"=1
"Macromedia Shockwave Director"=1
"Macromedia Shockwave Flash"=1
"Media Player"=1
"Microsoft NetShow Player 2.0"=1
"Multimedia Sound Schemes"=1
"Sample Sounds"=1
"Sound Recorder"=1
"Video Compression"=1
"Volume Control"=1
"Online Services"=0
"America Online"=0
"AT&T WorldNet Service"=0
"CompuServe"=0
"Prodigy Internet"=0
"The Microsoft Network"=0
"System Tools"=1
"Backup"=1
"Character Map"=1
"Clipboard Viewer"=1
"Disk compression tools"=1
"Drive Converter (FAT32)"=1
"Group Policies"=0
"Net Watcher"=1
"System Monitor"=1
"System Resource Meter"=1
"Web TV for Windows"=0
"Broadcast Data Services"
"WaveTop Data Broadcasting"=0
"WebTV for Windows"=0
"Internet Connection Sharing"=0
"Dial-Up ATM Support"=0
"Outlook Express"=1
"Address Book"=1
"Macromedia Shockwave"=1

Edited by LoneCrusader

Win95 MSBATCH.INF Parameters

Win98 MSBATCH.INF Parameters

Mine is attached (from my UBCD with some notes embedded). Observe the "rules" in particular in the "Install" and OPKInstall" sections. You're "missing" some items that are preventing "Unattended". Yes, it does work (as an OEM install).

Glad you got your drivers to install.

HTH

MSBATCH.TXT

edit - Product Keys and PID "overwritten" with explanatory notes (re - Unattended).

edit2 - LoneCrusader's note on "different reaction based on CD-type very well could have an effect. Not sure about this, but I think my Retail one reacted the same... Many times the OEM would use a Retail and just "over-write" some files before imaging.

Edited by submix8c

Guest wsxedcrfv

Here's a copy of my msbatch.inf: http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/7/19/2010382/msbatch.txt

I haven't compared mine with those others posted here yet. Mine was created using "batch.exe" from the \tools\reskit\batch directory on the win-98 CD.

What's the best Nvidia driver to use?

Is it "81.98_forceware_win9x_english" or something else?

The video card I intend to use is an "EVGA 6200", aka GeForce 6200LE, 256 mb, DDR2.

Specs here: http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/256-A8-N295.pdf

Guest wsxedcrfv

Just to add one last comment about using infinst.exe and msbatch.inf to create a more up-to-date win-98 installation image...

In all the various places where Microsoft talks about unfinst and the startup switches for setup.exe, it would have been nice if they explained that all those things apply to setup.exe and running setup.exe from the \win98 directory of the CD, and NOT from the root directory of the CD. In other words, when you make an exact copy of the win-98 CD to a hard drive and start the installation from there, the setup swtiches and msbatch.inf does not work properly unless:

1) you place your msbatch.inf in the \win98 directory of the CD image (over-writing the one that's there), and

2) you start the install by running the setup.exe that's located in the \win98 directory (not the setup.exe that's located in the root directory). This is particularly important if you have a bunch of command-line switches for setup.exe (which don't seem to work when you are using the setup.exe in the root directory).

My custom installation went according to plan and my msbatch.inf was followed when I started the process from the /win98 directory instead of the root directory.

Win-98 is now running on the Asrock 4-core DualVSTA motherboard, with the EVGA 6200 AGP video card. The hard drive is a 250 gb Western Digital SATA, and I'm using it in SATA mode (not IDE) so I finally got the win-98 VIA-SATA driver working. But I have some problems in the device manager which will be the subject of a new thread...

Edited by wsxedcrfv

Guest wsxedcrfv

I'm going to take this thread on a slight tangent since the main issue (using infinst.exe) has been resolved.

Using the batch.exe program, I'm able to create msbatch.inf which contains a lot of stuff needed for an automatic or pre-configured install. One thing that had be scratching my head was -> why am I being asked to accept the EULA when I had "ShowEula=0" in my msbatch.inf file, and why (during installation) am I being shown the product key that I already put in the msbatch.inf file. I think I found my answer here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263281&Product=w98

So I have a bunch of different win-98 CD's, but two in particular that I have handy are as follows: One is covered entirely with a hologram map of the world and has this part number: 0499 Part No. X05-29232. The other CD has a plain finish, with this part number: 0499 Part No. X03-77962. Both are second edition, and both say "For distribution with a new PC only." Does that make them "OEM" ? I believe the registry value for "ProductType" is 115 when one of them is used as the installation source. But there's some sources on the web that claim the ProductType value is a single-digit number (not a 3-digit number) that can be found (or edited?) in msbatch.inf. So is this a 3-digit number, or a 1-digit number?

Basically, what sort of Win-98 CD do I have to have in order for the "ShowEula=0" to work as advertised - and how are those CD's labeled?