KernelEx for Win2000

I guess I'll post this here since it is relevant. It seems there's a bug between the latest ENU kernel update 15p3 and WMP10. When you right click on drives in My Computer, explorer crashes. It only seems to be a problem after you install WMP10.

Doesn't you use Ez install mode files ?

If you use them, please delete them which are *2k.dll and kdw files in %Programfoiles%\Windows Media Player.

I guess I'll post this here since it is relevant. It seems there's a bug between the latest ENU kernel update 15p3 and WMP10. When you right click on drives in My Computer, explorer crashes. It only seems to be a problem after you install WMP10.

Yes, that's all I ever use. We were discussing it here if you wish to read it:

tomasz86 was able to reproduce the error himself. It might give you more insight as to what's going on.

Update: After investigating a little further, it seems even the v15o kernel is affected in conjunction with WMP10. As soon as WMP10 is removed, the problem is cleared up. However, something I noticed is it doesn't just effect right click in My Computer. If you select a drive and try using the menubar up on top, the same thing happens. So there must be a conflict in either WMP10 or the kernel extension. But when you enter the drive itself and right click, everything is fine. You can see the drive properties and all that good stuff. It just seems to affect the menus in My Computer. I actually unzipped the installer and just used MP10_2K to install it so I used no wrappers at all and I still have that problem after installation. Hope this information helps.

Edited by SearanoX

Seems like it's working great! Haven't had any problems with it so far. And I see you have the number sorting issue in file names I pointed out fixed in it, you're awesome dude!

There is one other thing, is there a way you can change thumbnails in explorer with a kernel extension of some sort? Like in TweakUI for Windows XP, you can set the quality and size of thumbnails when set to thumbnail view in explorer. Is there any way to address that too?

I don't know till analyze it. Perhaps it is difficult.

I think there is more important problem that Windows 2000 can't read namespace format like "@filename,-xxx" as resource in shell32.dll.

There is one other thing, is there a way you can change thumbnails in explorer with a kernel extension of some sort? Like in TweakUI for Windows XP, you can set the quality and size of thumbnails when set to thumbnail view in explorer. Is there any way to address that too?

That could be and if it can't be done, that's fine, I can live with it.

What do you mean when you say Windows 2000 can't read namespace formats? Where would you find examples of these since I'm a little curious myself and would like to investigate.

Edited by SearanoX

For example.

1. games.inf

InfoTip = "@%SystemRoot%\system32\mshearts.exe,-414"

Windows 2000 can't read infotip

2. XP Version WMP 10 unregmp2.exe (Windows 2000 version is modified)

It shows the warning message "you can't use in file name / : , ; * ? \" < > |" when you run it.

I know that It tries to rename "@%systemroot%\inf\unregmp2.exe,-12" on background.

Windows 2000 can't translate namespace.

That could be and if it can't be done, that's fine, I can live with it.

What do you mean when you say Windows 2000 can't read namespace formats? Where would you find examples of these since I'm a little curious myself and would like to investigate.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else experiencing an extra DOS window opening up with Firefox and Thunderbird 15 nightlies? It's not really a big deal since both program versions still work ok but I was just curious to see if it was only happening to me.

Anyone else experiencing an extra DOS window opening up with Firefox and Thunderbird 15 nightlies? It's not really a big deal since both program versions still work ok but I was just curious to see if it was only happening to me.

Hi,

I try to run Firefox 15.0a1(May 8th) + Kernel v15r2.

There is no problem.

Hi,

I try to run Firefox 15.0a1(May 8th) + Kernel v15r2.

There is no problem.

Wonder what it could be? It doesn't do that in XP, only Win2000 with the KernelEx. Tried them in Safe Mode too, same thing.

Checked everything and the programs still work fine so I can live with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear BlackWingCat

I really want to know how can I use KernelEx in Korean Win2K.

How can I convert Japanese version into Korean version?

I don't know Japanese language at all.

Hi,

The extended kernel is not compatible with other language each other.

I created Traditional Chinese and English and Japanese version extened kernel.

I don't have Korean environment.

If you can know English or Traditional Chinese and have its version , please use one.

But I can create easy the v2 or b5 kernel on Korea version if you want.

(I can't check it. and v5 kernel has a little problem.)

Dear BlackWingCat

I really want to know how can I use KernelEx in Korean Win2K.

How can I convert Japanese version into Korean version?

I don't know Japanese language at all.