KernelEx for Win2000

blackwingcat thanks for the update, I look forward to v14 in English.

The last Skype to work was v5.0.0.156 but I see from the link that with your kernekex installed 5.33 apparently is ok. Now that Microsoft has bought them out I know it's just a matter of time until the older versions stop working altogether. In fact I expect it won't even install on XP anymore either very soon, probably in a year or two.

Believe it or not I've got XP and Win 7 as well but still prefer W2k simply because I consider it to be their best OS.

ppgrainbow: 3.6 will probably be dead after April. It looks like Pale Moon takes the updated code from Mozilla then customizes it, I'm not sure they do any of the programming themselves on the security fixes. Strangely their later versions won't install on W2k even though Mozilla's still do. You need at least XP SP2.

Edited by DanR20

blackwingcat thanks for the update, I look forward to v14 in English.

The last Skype to work was v5.0.0.156 but I see from the link that with your kernekex installed 5.33 apparently is ok. Now that Microsoft has bought them out I know it's just a matter of time until the older versions stop working altogether. In fact I expect it won't even install on XP anymore either very soon, probably in a year or two.

Believe it or not I've got XP and Win 7 as well but still prefer W2k simply because I consider it to be their best OS.

ppgrainbow: 3.6 will probably be dead after April. It looks like Pale Moon takes the updated code from Mozilla then customizes it, I'm not sure they do any of the programming themselves on the security fixes. Strangely their later versions won't install on W2k even though Mozilla's still do. You need at least XP SP2.

Fx3.6 and Gecko 1.9.2 will indeed be dead on the 24th of April which is when Firefox 12 gets released. I believe that starting with Pale Moon 8.1, I'm strongly guessing that they probably switched to MSVC 2010 SP1 before the developers at Firefox did. And the CRT included with MSVC 2010 requires WIndows XP SP2 whatever you're running it as the main PC or in a virtualised environment. MSVC 2012 will not even support Windows XP at all. :(

I do believe that Win2k is the best OS that Microsoft has ever made. With the English update version of KernelEx v14 to fix this, I sure hope that all hope isn't lost. :)

Edited by ppgrainbow

I think Pale moon v9.x and Firefox v13 work on Windows 2000 with v13 kernel :)

Fx3.6 and Gecko 1.9.2 will indeed be dead on the 24th of April which is when Firefox 12 gets released. I believe that starting with Pale Moon 8.1, I'm strongly guessing that they probably switched to MSVC 2010 SP1 before the developers at Firefox did. And the CRT included with MSVC 2010 requires WIndows XP SP2 whatever you're running it as the main PC or in a virtualised environment. MSVC 2012 will not even support Windows XP at all. :(

I do believe that Win2k is the best OS that Microsoft has ever made. With the English update version of KernelEx v14 to fix this, I sure hope that all hope isn't lost. :)

I think Pale moon v9.x and Firefox v13 work on Windows 2000 with v13 kernel :)

Well...the 2012-02-20 build of Firefox 13 nightly did work with KernelEx v13f, but in the latest build, Fx13 nightly (2012-02-29) refuses to run. Developers may add more dependencies that do not exist on Win2k before Firefox 13 moves to Aurora in less than two weeks. :(

I sure hope that there is a English version of KernelEx v14 soon if it is stable enough to use. :)

ppgrainbow is right about dependencies - shell32.dll lacks SHParseDisplayName. Actually the much more annoying thing is that the installer now is set to work on XP SP2 or higher only.

rnd2t.png

I hate this kind of artificial installation blocking :realmad:

Of course you can still run the newest nightly:

1) Unpack the installer.

2) Fix dependency of xul.dll. I use rplbfile.exe from KDW.

3) Place uxtheme.dll in FX folder.

4) Firefox runs fine.

BTW, Opera still supports and works perfectly fine in W2K :whistle:

I tried install Fx 13a0 29th Feb version with kernelex.

1) Install Kernelex v15(Developing version).

2) setup.exe is registered XP mode with fcwin

3) Firefox runs ok.

ppgrainbow is right about dependencies - shell32.dll lacks SHParseDisplayName. Actually the much more annoying thing is that the installer now is set to work on XP SP2 or higher only.

rnd2t.png

1) Unpack the installer.

4) Firefox runs fine.

I replaced from v10a to v10b.

It resolved the problem the PDF reader add-on crash on browser ,cause of SetDllDirectory.

and I released Traditional Chinese Version v10b.

(The problem is since v3)

I'll replace v13 kernel.

Edited by blackwingcat

After checking out various IE6 files from XP SP3 and 2003 SP2, it is possible to make use of those updates, as long as some file mixing occurs.

XP SP3's browseui.dll has 2 unresolved dependencies in ole32.dll, CoRegisterInitializeSpy and CoRevokeInitializeSpy. 2003 SP2's browseui.dll does not have this issue.

However, 2003 SP2's shlwapi.dll has 4 unresolved dependencies in kernel32.dll (ActivateActCtx, CreateActCtx, DeactivateActCtx, and ReleaseActCtx), as well as 1 unresolved dependency in ntdll.dll (RtlIsThreadWithinLoaderCallout).

Since almost every other file in both streams requires a couple of missing APIs in shlwapi.dll and the latest shlwapi.dll update for those platforms (MS10-007) has the same missing dependency situation as the base SP level.

Just an idea for how everyone can keep their IE6 up to date; it's still in support under 2003 until July of 2015.

rnd2t.png

1) Unpack the installer.

4) Firefox runs fine.

I knew it. I sure hope that the stable version of KernelEx v15 comes out real soon. As for the latest Fx13 nightly, the dialogue box was meant to prevent the MSVC 2010-based browser from installing on Windows XP SP1 and below. :(

blackwingcat us beggars are back hoping we can get the 15 version soon. :) The Firefox 13 nightly looks good on XP be nice to keep it going on W2k too.

If not I notice the ESR version is available for download on the portable page and they'll keep updating the 10 version for almost a year or more so if worse comes to worse we'll at least get the security fixes.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/portableapps/files/Mozilla%20Firefox%2C%20Portable%20Ed./

Edited by DanR20