KernelEx for Win2000

Hello, blackwingcat.

I have been using the Extended Kernel for several years and I am generally satisfied, but there are 2 things that still Irk me.

1) Many raw Input dependant applications (MAME, PCem, 86box etc.) are unusable because Win2000 doesn't accept raw input. Is there a patch that I've missed that could solve this issue?
2) Steam is very quirky.
Now If I would to launch steam, it would load about 7,900K of it's data into RAM and Immediately close. What's strange is that I've used Steam on Win2000 before Just fine.
Any suggestions?

My duelview thread merged into this one

It is not working! This isn't even something I'm new at because I've been using dual monitors since the turn of the decade. However, with my new machine, no matter how much I play around with it, I cannot get dualview working.

So, my old card was a NVidia GeForce 8600GT dual DVI output, my new card is a NVidia GeForce 9800GT with dual DVI output as well. Whether it makes a difference or not, it's the energy efficient version so it doesn't require extra power to run. Now here's where things get very interesting. I can clone my desktop so both monitors show the same thing, I can also do horizontal/vertical view which doubles the resolution. But I cannot get dualview to have two independent monitors working. The video card recognizes two monitors are there, it knows that for a fact. But when I go to the display properties, even though it says multiple monitors, it only shows the one and extend my desktop is grayed out.

The things I've tried were basically changing driver versions which I've used both Tomasz86's 270.61 driver, no luck. I've tried a few of Blackwingcat's drivers, no luck either. I've even tried removing all the drivers via safe mode and removing the device all together and even running my registry cleaner to remove old entries, makes no difference. The only thing I can think of that might be fouled is the NVidia GeForce 8400GS that I originally had in there, it had DVI/VGA and HDMI, and apparently you cannot dualview a digital and analog connection, it's either one or the other. The other resources I looked for online on this issue is about as helpful as going out in the rain and covering your head with a spaghetti strainer. No real insight is offered. But with Dual DVI, I'm sure dualview should work. Am I to the point I might just have to reinstall Windows or what? I'm pulling my hair out because I've never had this much trouble getting it going before. Usually all I'd have to do is go through the control panel, enable dualview, restart at the prompt, and when Windows returned it would install the Dualview driver (which this doesn't), restart again, and then I could extend my desktop. So why this isn't happen with this, I have no clue. Now I'm turning to the ones who know even more than I do.

Edited by Tommy
Dualview thread merged

10 minutes ago, Tommy said:

The other resources I looked for online on this issue is about as helpful as going out in the rain and covering your head with a spaghetti strainer. 

Isn't this vaguely offensive to the Pastafarians? :dubbio:

;)

Is that Windows 2000, right?

Does the feature works (with the GeForce 9800GT) on XP (if you have it in dual boot on that machine)?

If you do have an XP, you can also try the Ultramon, just to check if the card works as it is supposed to:

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

Previous versions did work with 2000, I believe latest 2000 compatible is 3.1 :unsure::

https://web.archive.org/web/20111101081901/http://www.realtimesoft.com:80/ultramon/download.asp

There are no end (generally speaking) of issues with Nvidia drivers, and often one version works when the one before doesn't and the one later has not anymore a given feature or it has it moved/changed/renamed/whatever, example:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/419319/8400-gs-windows-7-64-bit-no-dual-view-33-windows-7-drivers-do-not-allow-second-screen/

jaclaz

Still not having much success. I've even tried that particular package listed in the link and it's still not letting me enable dualview. What's crazy is right now I'm running Ubuntu in a live cd environment on said computer...and guess what? Both monitors work JUST FINE and are independent from each other. So either something is very messed up in the Windows 2000 install or there's other issues going on that prevent it from actually happening.  But now we know for sure that my card indeed supports dualview.

• 2 weeks later...

BUG FOUND!

*Extended core Windows2000-KB979683-v16a-x86-ENU is flawed*

After thorough investigation into why my dualview was not working, I did a clean install on a test hard drive and everything was working fine, until I installed this core update package. As soon as I did and rebooted, dualview stopped working and only my primary monitor would work despite Windows knowing there were (multiple monitors). So I hooked up my original configuration of drives to get back to my regular install of Windows, removed extended core which I had installed on this installation, went to install duelview again from the nvidia control panel, rebooted, and sure enough it works like a charm. Both monitors work as an extended desktop just like they should.

@blackwingcat

Basically, using this extended core package means nvidia dualview compatibility is broken and will not work.

I haven't tried other versions. Right now I'm just using whatever was put into tomasz86's unofficial rollup from 2013. I can probably test a few of the other ones but after translating his site, it looks as though he made a few changes to a few video files in version 16a, the one I was using. I just don't really understand exactly what the changes meant so maybe he can provide us some insight.

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

I haven't tried other versions. Right now I'm just using whatever was put into tomasz86's unofficial rollup from 2013. I can probably test a few of the other ones but after translating his site, it looks as though he made a few changes to a few video files in version 16a, the one I was using. I just don't really understand exactly what the changes meant so maybe he can provide us some insight.

I debugged it . It is caused by videoport.sys it seems like a buffer overflow to me but it may not . I am a noob regarding kernel mode calls of win2k so do not ask me . In XP all calls are in VA but 2k calls in RVA(Not proper even some mixed coding ) . It seems like modding 2k is extremely tough..

Please replace videoport.sys with original one and see what happens .

9 hours ago, jumper said:

All versions of Extended Core, just this version, or starting at which version?

The next step will be identifying the individual file responsible.

Edited by Dibya

• 3 weeks later...

Dibya, any luck on getting the nightlies to work in w2k without crashing? I see a problem with some of the newer webextensions not being compatible since they require a host node.exe that will not install on w2k. So even if it is possible to make the nightly work properly there will still be some limitations. Sandboxing is another one.

5 hours ago, DanR20 said:

Dibya, any luck on getting the nightlies to work in w2k without crashing? I see a problem with some of the newer webextensions not being compatible since they require a host node.exe that will not install on w2k. So even if it is possible to make the nightly work properly there will still be some limitations. Sandboxing is another one.

Windows 2000/XP/2003 TLS calls Nul pointer directly whereas Vista and higher pushes 2ch . due to this issue Libraryloader cannot load xul.dll into memory .

XP/2k3 has partial 2ch support in TlsFree but needed TlsAlloc is absent . It is only possible if BWC update TLS Functions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi I have tried to install this on IBM Thinkpad T60 (beforehand I've downloaded and installed all the drivers from here: https://thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Drivers/download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/ddfm/T60p.html exept wifi which I got from http://www.nobu-usa.com/drivers/n8wts_v1.0/intel_wireless_2915ABG/WinXP and everything worked just fine but then I wanted to extend windows 2000 as I wanted newest Firefox and Firebird but then problems started)

Pro/Wireless_TIC_125458_v10.5.1.0_XP32_Connection_Software.exe ) I tried installing 28c English and after I restarted my Fingerprint reader stooped working and I couldn't connect to WIFI anymore
I am using Intel Wireless drivers from here: http://www.nobu-usa.com/drivers/n8wts_v1.0/intel_wireless_2915ABG/WinXP Pro/Wireless_TIC_125458_v10.5.1.0_XP32_Connection_Software.exe

Intel ProWireless says: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software was unable to detect a supported wireless adapter.

For some reason if I uninstall it and reinstall it again it will work til I reboot than it will stop working (10.5 is the only version I was able to make it work under Windows 2000)

Can you Help me
Thanks for Anwsering and Best Regards

I realy don't want to chose between WIFI and KernelX (but I would realy like to use KernelX)

Can anyone recomend the most stable version there is right now

but First I have to reinstall Windows 2000 because I've installed Windows2000-KB935839-v29b-x86-ENU then because Wireless and Fingerprint reader broke I've installed Windows2000-KB935839-v28c-x86-ENU thinking that this one would work (I saw it working here:

) and then as it didn't help I've uninstalled Windows2000-KB935839-v28c-x86-ENU after that I've uninstalled Windows2000-KB935839-v29b-x86-ENU and after reboot Windows 2000 doesn't boot again

Edited by veso266