Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

KernelEx for Win2000

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
540 replies to this topic

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10

Caution: I don't install USP5.1 and UR2 in my environment.

Have you actually found any issues when your kernel is used with any of the two packages...? Both of them install files from the official updates and hotfixes only.

Edit: I can see that you've edited your post :lol: Please let us know if you do test the packages with your kernel and find any problems.

Edited by tomasz86, 15 September 2012 - 11:14 PM.

Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10
I haven't seem to have found any issues except for random explorer.exe crashes once in a great while. Speaking of which, my ISP was telling me that they weren't the problem for all my DNS problems, however, I dialed into a server in another city...and no problems! So, they were lying and there is no problems with the files included in the kernel extensions. But I've been running USP5.1, UR2, and any kernel extension for quite some time now and I haven't seem to run into any major issues.

Edited by SearanoX, 15 September 2012 - 11:16 PM.

Daily running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows 98 Second Edition

2dtzy51.png
stillwin9xmsfnbt0.png

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Joined 31-May 08
Plz try to install IE6SP1 QFE Hotfix if you can.
(Check your mshtml.dll version 6.0.2800.1687)

I haven't seem to have found any issues except for random explorer.exe crashes once in a great while. Speaking of which, my ISP was telling me that they weren't the problem for all my DNS problems, however, I dialed into a server in another city...and no problems! So, they were lying and there is no problems with the files included in the kernel extensions. But I've been running USP5.1, UR2, and any kernel extension for quite some time now and I haven't seem to run into any major issues.

Edited by blackwingcat, 16 September 2012 - 10:03 PM.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
BlackWingCat =^^=
http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/

Molecule

Molecule

• PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Joined 11-November 05
Hi, Black Wing Cat! I've been watching and dreaming for a while and am finally making the leap ... with lots of help from tomasz86, for rollups and hfslip especially

I'm installing a 2000 system in msi p43neo3, core2duo, 2 gig ddr2, ich10r, p43, gforce 7300 256ddr2, realtek 8111c lan, realtek alc888 with two tiny speakers and 70 meg driver, jmicron fd-pata-sata, ...

Wherever I've found them, I've followed the links to your pages to look for a download ... google can translate everything but the drop down boxes, where I select the os, and chipset and etc.

The computer I'm building is offline so I can't use your automatic system scanner.

Can you post or PM me with direct links for my system ...
KernelEx driver is the main one, so I can run IcemanNDs DriverBackup program -- both versions 0.73 and 2.189 make calls which 2K kernel can't handle ...

the intel XP-driver for ICH10R seems to work fine so far in 2K, and the driver is small so I'm not worried ... but if you suggest something I'll try it ... sata and usb are fast compared to my current system ... sata1 to sata2 is 30m/sec for file transfers under Total Commander, USB is 6-8m/s

is there a smaller "plain vanilla" driver I could use for the realtek sound chip - I have simple 2 audio, voice only, with small speakers

the gForce 7300-256 video driver is kind of heavy and it has this feature where it graps 10% of mainboard memory to make 512m video ram (256 video card +10% of main board memory) ... sounds clunky

until tomasz86 finishes his drivers integrator for hfslip, can nLite integrate your drivers? can they be installed by command line into a running system?

sorry for all the basic noob questions ... I'm delighted that 2k is so alive and well!

thanks ... molecule

DanR20

DanR20

• 25 posts
  • Joined 28-February 12
Hi blackwingcat, the latest kernel 2.2d breaks Java 7.7 on Firefox nightly as the browser just crashes.

So far I haven't tried the Java 6 version with 2.2d but since kernel 17n and Java 7.7 get along good together I've reinstalled kernel 17n for now.

Edit: the minimum requirements for kernel 2.2d were installed, including the IE6 update and Root. Except for Java everything seemed to work alright.

Edited by DanR20, 17 September 2012 - 07:39 AM.

piotrhn

piotrhn

• 43 posts
  • Joined 17-July 06
Can you add to shell32 SHCreateQueryCancelAutoPlayMoniker, to use Windows Movie Maker from XP SP2/3

piotrhn

piotrhn

• 43 posts
  • Joined 17-July 06
Can you fix Daemon Tools Lite, to use on Win2000. Current version (4.45.4.0316) doesn't work, only
STOP

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
**Address 804F573A base at 804D7000, DateStamp 4ff7f93a - ntoskrnl.exe

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Joined 31-May 08
You can use Vista version Movie Maker 2.6 :)

Can you add to shell32 SHCreateQueryCancelAutoPlayMoniker, to use Windows Movie Maker from XP SP2/3

BlackWingCat =^^=

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Joined 31-May 08
Hi,
I will check IcemanNDs DriverBackup and nLite Integrate.

On my environment Realtek 8168 NIC Card has any problem
So I use older version.

http://blog.livedoor...es/1543455.html
http://blog.livedoor...es/1545181.html

You can also use faster device USB 3.0
http://www.msfn.org/...2k/page__st__20

Hi, Black Wing Cat! I've been watching and dreaming for a while and am finally making the leap ... with lots of help from tomasz86, for rollups and hfslip especially

I'm installing a 2000 system in msi p43neo3, core2duo, 2 gig ddr2, ich10r, p43, gforce 7300 256ddr2, realtek 8111c lan, realtek alc888 with two tiny speakers and 70 meg driver, jmicron fd-pata-sata, ...

Wherever I've found them, I've followed the links to your pages to look for a download ... google can translate everything but the drop down boxes, where I select the os, and chipset and etc.

The computer I'm building is offline so I can't use your automatic system scanner.

Can you post or PM me with direct links for my system ...
KernelEx driver is the main one, so I can run IcemanNDs DriverBackup program -- both versions 0.73 and 2.189 make calls which 2K kernel can't handle ...

the intel XP-driver for ICH10R seems to work fine so far in 2K, and the driver is small so I'm not worried ... but if you suggest something I'll try it ... sata and usb are fast compared to my current system ... sata1 to sata2 is 30m/sec for file transfers under Total Commander, USB is 6-8m/s

is there a smaller "plain vanilla" driver I could use for the realtek sound chip - I have simple 2 audio, voice only, with small speakers

the gForce 7300-256 video driver is kind of heavy and it has this feature where it graps 10% of mainboard memory to make 512m video ram (256 video card +10% of main board memory) ... sounds clunky

until tomasz86 finishes his drivers integrator for hfslip, can nLite integrate your drivers? can they be installed by command line into a running system?

sorry for all the basic noob questions ... I'm delighted that 2k is so alive and well!

thanks ... molecule

BlackWingCat =^^=

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Joined 31-May 08
I analyzed it.
But it seems Daemon tools Lite program has some problem.
I think It occurs from DTL own bugs.
So Don't install DT Soft Bus Driver.

Can you fix Daemon Tools Lite, to use on Win2000. Current version (4.45.4.0316) doesn't work, only
STOP

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Edited by blackwingcat, 19 September 2012 - 11:14 PM.

BlackWingCat =^^=

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Joined 31-May 08
Hi,

Perhaps it is problem since 2.2c or 2.2d.
I fixed on 2.2e

Thx
(But I know Java 7 on Win2000 has some problems.
Some application would not back the response )

Hi blackwingcat, the latest kernel 2.2d breaks Java 7.7 on Firefox nightly as the browser just crashes.

So far I haven't tried the Java 6 version with 2.2d but since kernel 17n and Java 7.7 get along good together I've reinstalled kernel 17n for now.

Edit: the minimum requirements for kernel 2.2d were installed, including the IE6 update and Root. Except for Java everything seemed to work alright.

BlackWingCat =^^=

DanR20

DanR20

• 25 posts
  • Joined 28-February 12
Thanks, unfortunately have to use Java every now and then so if it doesn't work good under the latest kernel I can always regress back to 17n.

After installing 2.2 there was an extra service running in Task Manager but couldn't figure out what it was. Finally nailed it down to Cryptographic Services? After reverting to 17n it was manually deleted from the Registry since it couldn't be stopped, only disabled. The uninstaller doesn't remove it apparently.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10

Thanks, unfortunately have to use Java every now and then so if it doesn't work good under the latest kernel I can always regress back to 17n.

The new versions of Java don't work properly in Win2k regardless of the kernel version.
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

DanR20

DanR20

• 25 posts
  • Joined 28-February 12
Java 7.7 working just fine here so far using Kernel 17N. It's possible there's some sites not doing well.

Haven't installed the 2.2e kernel yet, will probably do that tomorrow.

Here's two sites to test:

http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm
http://www.javatester.org/version.html

danny111

danny111
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 11-March 12
Hi
Some of you may know that I have been trying to make a Korean version of KernelEx...
At some point, I made it, thanks to the helpful suggestion of you guys.
After install of v22e, accidentally I opened the setup log file and I found many lines of failure message.
I think many messages are just void and ignorable, but not all.
I can see also that registration of some DLLs have failed.
Any ideas?

[KB935839-v22e.log]
================================================================================
5.531: GetGenericPathNameWithRoot: Unable to open HKLM, SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ResKit\NameSpace\Windows 2000 Resource Kit, 0x2.
5.531: SetDynamicDirectoryId: Failure while generating dynamic path, 0xf111
5.531: GetGenericPathNameWithRoot: Unable to open HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\eudcedit.exe, 0x2.
5.610: DoInstallation: FetchSourceURL for e:\work\v22e-kor\update\update.inf failed
5.610: LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for halaacpi.dll failed: 0xe0000102
45.297: Starting process: regsvr32 /s credui.dll
45.360: Return Code = 0
45.360: Starting process: regsvr32 /s cryptui.dll
45.485: Return Code = 3
45.485: Starting process: regsvr32 /s sccsccp.dll
45.922: Return Code = 4
45.922: Starting process: regsvr32 /s sccbase.dll
46.000: Return Code = 0
46.000: Starting process: regsvr32 /s msftedit.dll
46.094: Return Code = 4
46.094: Starting process: regsvr32 /s wintrust.dll
46.156: Return Code = 3
46.156: Starting process: regsvr32 /s mfc40.dll
46.360: Return Code = 0
46.360: Starting process: regsvr32 /s mfc42.dll
46.531: Return Code = 0
46.531: Starting process: regsvr32 /s mfc42u.dll
46.594: Return Code = 0
46.594: Starting process: regsvr32 /s licdll.dll
46.672: Return Code = 3
================================================================================

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Joined 31-May 08
Hi.

You can ignore "Return Code = 4", "Failure while generating dynamic path, 0xf111" and "halaacpi.dll failed: 0xe0000102"

But "Return Code = 3 " may be had problem.
Try to regsvr after reboot.

regsvr32 cryptui.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 licdll.dll

Hi
Some of you may know that I have been trying to make a Korean version of KernelEx...
At some point, I made it, thanks to the helpful suggestion of you guys.
After install of v22e, accidentally I opened the setup log file and I found many lines of failure message.
I think many messages are just void and ignorable, but not all.
I can see also that registration of some DLLs have failed.
Any ideas?

[KB935839-v22e.log]
5.531: GetGenericPathNameWithRoot: Unable to open HKLM, SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ResKit\NameSpace\Windows 2000 Resource Kit, 0x2.
5.531: GetGenericPathNameWithRoot: Unable to open HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\eudcedit.exe, 0x2.
5.610: DoInstallation: FetchSourceURL for e:\work\v22e-kor\update\update.inf failed
5.610: LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for halaacpi.dll failed: 0xe0000102
45.297: Starting process: regsvr32 /s credui.dll
45.360: Return Code = 0
45.360: Starting process: regsvr32 /s cryptui.dll
45.485: Return Code = 3
45.485: Starting process: regsvr32 /s sccsccp.dll
45.922: Return Code = 4
45.922: Starting process: regsvr32 /s sccbase.dll
46.000: Return Code = 0
46.000: Starting process: regsvr32 /s msftedit.dll
46.094: Return Code = 4
46.094: Starting process: regsvr32 /s wintrust.dll
46.156: Return Code = 3
46.156: Starting process: regsvr32 /s mfc40.dll
46.360: Return Code = 0
46.360: Starting process: regsvr32 /s mfc42.dll
46.531: Return Code = 0
46.531: Starting process: regsvr32 /s mfc42u.dll
46.594: Return Code = 0
46.594: Starting process: regsvr32 /s licdll.dll
46.672: Return Code = 3

BlackWingCat =^^=

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
@blackwingcat

It's same here. Cryptui.dll, wintrust.dll and licdll.dll can't be registered. Do they register on your system? :blink:
Posted Image

danny111

danny111
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 11-March 12
BlackWingCat, u're right.
These files are properly registered after REBOOT: cryptui.dll, wintrust.dll, licdll.dll
Some more problems here:
(1) I still cannot register "propsys.dll", it says "cannot load to register...". Can I just ignore this issue?
(2) "dwmapi.dll" is not installed or copied to System folder. It's very WEIRD 'cos it's definitely in the copy list in "update.inf".
(3) Is "KB931125-Root Certificate Update" really required? I did not install this package because the MS's update page asks me to verify XP system before download.

Thanks.

Edited by danny111, 21 September 2012 - 01:19 AM.

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Joined 31-May 08
Yes, they were installed in My virtual English environment .

@blackwingcat

It's same here. Cryptui.dll, wintrust.dll and licdll.dll can't be registered. Do they register on your system? :blink:

You must install most recent "KB931125-Root Certificate Update", because IE6.0sp1 security update(MS12-052) requires it.

BlackWingCat, u're right.
These files are properly registered after REBOOT: cryptui.dll, wintrust.dll, licdll.dll
Some more problems here:
(1) I still cannot register "propsys.dll", it says "cannot load to register...". Can I just ignore this issue?
(2) "dwmapi.dll" is not installed or copied to System folder. It's very WEIRD 'cos it's definitely in the copy list in "update.inf".
(3) Is "KB931125-Root Certificate Update" really required? I did not install this package because the MS's update page asks me to verify XP system before download.

Thanks.

I uploaded Extended kernel v22f and RDP v7.0 client for Windows 2000. :)
BlackWingCat =^^=

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10
I'm posting this here as I'm sure it requires some bit of kernel extension. Unfortunately I think this is the case where you'll gain something but also lose something. It is possible to get video thumbnails working in Windows 2000. As long as you can get your hands on a copy of shmedia.dll from Windows XP, copy it to the system32 folder, and then use open a command prompt and type in regsvr32 shmedia.dll and press enter to load it into memory.

But now there is one more vital step you need to follow. The general instructions are here under workaround: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292499

However, in step 3, substitute .gif with .wmv, .avi, or whatever else (I've only tested this with those two file formats though) Edit: This doesn't work with .mov files as far as I know

Now in step 10, substitute that value with {c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590}.

Now right click in a folder that contains these video files and choose thumbnail view. If done correctly, it should display the very first frame as a thumbnail preview just as Windows XP does. However, it seems the drawback from using this is it shows up as an image thumbnail in left explorer bar rather than showing an actual video preview using a small Windows Media Player bar.

So whether or not this is for you, is up to you. I'm only posting it in this thread as I imagine it does require blackwingcat's kernel extension. Hope this helps someone anyway.

Edited by SearanoX, 23 September 2012 - 10:02 PM.

Daily running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows 98 Second Edition

2dtzy51.png
stillwin9xmsfnbt0.png

Molecule

Molecule

• PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Joined 11-November 05

STOP

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

just in case something a little earlier than the latest might do ...

4. virtual scsi driver (needed for daemon tools) the file SPTDinst-v181-x86.exe appears in Kurt Austs's Run1_W2Ksp5.bat batch file, but not shown in his download links for daemon tools
... SCSI Pass Through Direct setup v1.78.0.0 built by: WinDDK, by Duplex Secure Ltd. (http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads/)
5. daemon tools -- IMHO should be std device for software installs DT Lite version 3.47 free (2004) runs in 98se, and most importantly its installer doesn't ask user to add a google toolbar (edit- integrate as addon won't violate free license) per Kurt Aust's 2K site, I installed DTLite4356-0091.exe (edit - w2k latest) the 4.356 installer prompts user to install the google toolbar -- I don't see any functional difference (between older and newer versions, except bloat), and actually prefer the earlier 347 version because of its logic and simplicity ... it has same speed and capacity ... 4 devices, and imho is more friendly - ie doesn't look like bubblegum

Edited by Molecule, 24 September 2012 - 01:59 AM.

piotrhn

piotrhn

• 43 posts
  • Joined 17-July 06
Can you add to
kernel32:
ProcessIdToSessionId

Shell32:
RestartDialogEx

These functions are rquired by Expendables II Game.

Edited by piotrhn, 24 September 2012 - 03:31 AM.

jimmsta

jimmsta

computer janitor

• PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Joined 04-May 05
I have a couple questions -
Are the functions that are being implemented just stub functions that return a 0, or are they fully functional functions? (try saying that 5 times fast!)
If they're just stubs, I'd guess that you're utilizing all of the publically available documentation for these functions on their respective platforms, such as MSDN and ReactOS's source code?

Would you consider continuing this project for Windows XP in the coming years? I still see a _LOT_ of XP machines in use (computer tech in a small computer store), and a _LOT_ of people trying to use newer apps (Office 2013, for instance, requires Vista+) and having to either downgrade or upgrade just to write documents (ugh!).

And then there's this gray area question - would you consider a project that tries to replace the NT5.0 kernel with NT5.2's Windows Research Kernel? The source code is available through universities, along with the full NT Design Documentation, allowing one to literally build their very own custom kernel for Windows. I don't know if such a project would be considered legal or what, since the code is intended for research and teaching purposes only, I can't say what the status would be :(
Creator and Maintainer of BootZilla.org

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Joined 31-May 08
Hi.

Yes any functions so that.
But return 0 means sometimes ERROR_SUCCESS and sometimes FAILS
The stub functions usually are used when I don't know the fucntion's specification and I understand that the functions are not important and I want to work the application.

I have a couple questions -
Are the functions that are being implemented just stub functions that return a 0, or are they fully functional functions? (try saying that 5 times fast!)
If they're just stubs, I'd guess that you're utilizing all of the publically available documentation for these functions on their respective platforms, such as MSDN and ReactOS's source code?

At least, I don't take it till the end of microsoft support XP, because many hotfix will be released and it is current product.

Would you consider continuing this project for Windows XP in the coming years? I still see a _LOT_ of XP machines in use (computer tech in a small computer store), and a _LOT_ of people trying to use newer apps (Office 2013, for instance, requires Vista+) and having to either downgrade or upgrade just to write documents (ugh!).

It is almost impossible migrate for windows 2000, But it would become a great help to increase the function with reference to that

And then there's this gray area question - would you consider a project that tries to replace the NT5.0 kernel with NT5.2's Windows Research Kernel? The source code is available through universities, along with the full NT Design Documentation, allowing one to literally build their very own custom kernel for Windows. I don't know if such a project would be considered legal or what, since the code is intended for research and teaching purposes only, I can't say what the status would be :(

Edited by blackwingcat, 24 September 2012 - 05:55 PM.

BlackWingCat =^^=

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Joined 31-May 08
I released Japanese version IE6SP3 for Windows 2000 with extended kernel.

http://blog.livedoor...es/1712272.html

Could you provide me a file localized following files in XP for other language.

inetcplc.dll
mshtml.tlb
mshtmler.dll
shdoclc.dll
extmgr.dll
inetcpl.cpl
iexplore.exe

Edited by blackwingcat, 24 September 2012 - 08:59 PM.

BlackWingCat =^^=

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users