ST31000333AS firmware need for 9FZ136-100

Hello,

I have this drive:

Seagate ST31000333AS 1TB

P/N : 9FZ136-100

Firmware:LC15

Site code:TK

It was in BSY state, i used this solution and now the hard drive is unbricked, everything worked well

If I try to download a new firmware from Seagate they say that a new firmware is available for my product and I have to contact OEM for this new firmware, I even chat with a guy from Seagate support and he say that he cant give me the OEM for this drive because of a stupid agreement that they have with the OEM reseller.

After some search I found that this firmware is made by LACIE (SD-Seagate, LC-Lacie).

I tried with the Brinks-3D6H-SD1B.ISO from here to make the update but seems to be impossible because this firmware is only for P/N 9FZ136-300 and 9FZ136-558.

Can anyone help me with a new firmware for my drive or at least with a solution.

Thank you

Edited by cheloo

After some search for information on the internet I found that this firmware is made by Lacie and after days of ping-pong emails with LaCie support the final answer is that:

Jon L.

Posted: January 14, 2011 @ 11:45 AM

Hello Florin,

Again, we do not warranty or support the component parts inside the drive; we only warranty the overall unit. (they want to say that the drive came from an LaCie enclosure and they support only the unit, not just the drive)

While you are free to do whatever you wish with component parts inside the drive you purchased from us, Seagate and LaCie both are not under any obligation to provide support for component parts that were disassembled from a different device.

Again, I can assure you the firmware on the drive mechanism is not made by LaCie. We do not make firmware for bare drive mechanisms.

I sent an email regarding this to Seagate support and I'm still waiting for the answer, after that I dont know what can I do next.

If i will try somehow to put a new firmware from like 6HSD1B.LOD om my drive assuming that the drive is the same with 6 head do you think that this might kill the drive?

Edited by cheloo

@cheloo

JFYI:

Do the right thing. ;)

If you want to kill for good that hard disk, updating it with a non 100% confirmed to be suitable firmware, is the right thing to do. :ph34r:

If you want to have that hard disk working:

1. DO NOT update the firmware needlessly
  2. ONLY do it after having had an EXPLICIT confirmation that the firmware is the right one or after being yourself REASONABLY convinced of it

BTW, the update is "commanded" by a sort of .ini, a .txs file, that you can modify to "force" trhe upgrade (or simply remove the checking line in the .bat) - of course at YOUR COMPLETE RISK.

jaclaz

@cheloo

JFYI:

Do the right thing. ;)

If you want to kill for good that hard disk, updating it with a non 100% confirmed to be suitable firmware, is the right thing to do. :ph34r:

If you want to have that hard disk working:

1. DO NOT update the firmware needlessly
  2. ONLY do it after having had an EXPLICIT confirmation that the firmware is the right one or after being yourself REASONABLY convinced of it

BTW, the update is "commanded" by a sort of .ini, a .txs file, that you can modify to "force" trhe upgrade (or simply remove the checking line in the .bat) - of course at YOUR COMPLETE RISK.

jaclaz

The unbrick procedure worked well (I'm not at first try to unbrick a Seagate drive, with a good cable/interface/connectors, a little attention at commands and some basic electronics knowledge anyone can try :) )

I use this drive only for non-important data like video and audio files.

Let's see how often the drive get bricked and if this will be often then I will try to force the firmware update, as you say the update command must be in a .ini file but i didn't try to find out yet.

In the flash.bat (inside the .zip, inside the floppy .img inside the .iso) there is a line like:

:SEAFLASH1
set model=ST31000333AS
sf -m BRINKS -f -s -x -b -v -a 10 -h 6hcfgsd3.txs

The sf.exe command help is:

Usage: %s <port|#> <0|1|#> [options]

<port|#> Flash devices located at the specified base or any, '#',

port address. Port address must be in hexadecimal.

<0|1|#> Flash master, '0', slave, '1', or both, '#', devices.

-f <file> Specify the filename prefix of the flash files.

This defaults to 'seaflash' if not provided. Filename

extensions '.fls', '.ovl', '.crt', and '.tbl' are assumed.

-c Send a congen file, fully specified by -f.

-r Include the serial flash file when flashing.

-s Only send a single file, fully specified by -f.

-e <rev> Exclude firmare if this version exists.

-v Toggles verbose mode on/off. Default is off.

-l List supported models.

-u Feature spin up

Usage: %s <port|#> <0|1|#> [options]

<port|#> Flash devices located at the specified base or any, '#',

<0|1|#> Flash master, '0', slave, '1', or both, '#', devices.

-l List supported models.

-u Feature spin up

-k <UID> Specify the unique descriptor to flash

Usage: %s -m <name> [options]

-m <name> Specify the model family to flash.

-g <file> read a configuration file to get information on whether the

firmware should be downloaded to the specified model drive,

please refer to 'cfgreadme.txt'.

-h <file> read a configuration file to check valid drive model,

firmware version(full name)and firmware file name line by

line.if match all the parameters, starts downloading.

please refer to 'hcfgreadme.txt'

-j <file> encrypt the config file for -h option from *.cfg to *.cfs.

-o <file> decrypt the config file for -h option from *.cfs to *.cfg.

-c Send a congen file, fully specified by -f.

-p <port> Only flash devices located at the specified base

-d <0|1> Only flash master, '0', or slave, '1', devices.

-l List supported family names and models.

-u Feature spin up

-n Disable Promise 66/100/133 card.

-b Segmented download of DLDxx.BIN files , or

the -f <file> if specified.

-w SMART Clear Logs.

-t Diagnostics Unlock Of M2TD.

-i <Model> Tolerent or Explicit Model Check.

-k <UID> Specify the unique descriptor to flash

-a <seconds> Specify how long to delay after download complete

Usage: %s -<target> <datafile> -m <name> [options]

-<target> pm, ps, sm, ss (pm = primary master, etc..)

-m <name> Specify the model family to flash.

-c Send a congen file.

-l List supported family names and models.

-b Segmented download of DLDxx.BIN files or the -f <file> if specified.

-w SMART Clear Logs.

-k <UID> Specify the unique descriptor to flash.

You may want to play a bit with these. :unsure:

jaclaz

Thank you jaclaz

I will see how drive is working in the next few weeks/months and if I'm not finding the exact firmware for him the next thing will be a firmware forced update.

Now i run some test on it and try to fill it with junk data to see how it behaves.

Now i run some test on it and try to fill it with junk data to see how it behaves.

Actually to see how it behaves, you should fill it with non-junk data. :whistle:

I mean, if you fill it with junk data and you get back junk, HOW will you detect that is not "different junk"? ;)

"junk vs. corrupted junk" - a new frontier....

:lol:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Actually to see how it behaves, you should fill it with non-junk data. :whistle:

I mean, if you fill it with junk data and you get back junk, HOW will you detect that is not "different junk"? ;)

"junk vs. corrupted junk" - a new frontier....

:lol:

jaclaz

"junk files" :) I mean I fill it with some HD video and audio files from another drive, use this drive for playback from now on and compare the data from both drives from time to time.

"junk files" :) I mean I fill it with some HD video and audio files from another drive, use this drive for playback from now on and compare the data from both drives from time to time.

Sure, I was joking :).

1. Seemingly useless rubbish which sits around for months and is inevitably disposed of the day before it is needed.

jaclaz

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HI Cheloo.

I have exactly the same HDD, have you succeed in the F/W upgrade?

regards

Me too same hard drive.. have you guys upgraded the firmware?+

Hi!

I have a Lacie Black 1TB in which a Seagate ST31000333AS was mounted.

Seagate ST31000333AS 1TB

To make a long story short: I used the ST31000333AS in a NAS where it didn't behave like I thought it should.

I found this thread, read about the firmware for 9FZ136-300 and 9FZ136-558 and decided to try to flash my 9FZ136-100.

I don't have the exact command, but I used the info in jaclaz post. I think it was:

sf -m BRINKS -f 6HSD1B.LOD -s -x -b -v -a 10

The firmware loaded ok and the drive works perfectly in a PC. I've used SeaTools and it passes SMART Check, Short Drive Self Test and Long Generic.

I'm not a hard drive guru so I can't say if passing these tests would qualify the firmware flashing as successful, I'll leave that up to someone who knows what they're talking about.

The only problem I have now is that I decided to put 2TB drives in the NAS instead. After I flashed the drive it doesn't work in the Lacie-casing. When I power it on, it just tries to spin up and clicks. Since it's the same story with a Hitachi deskstar drive, I suppose that you can only use hard drives with Lacie firmware on them.

Is it possible for someone to download the firmware from a Lacie drive with firmware LC15 and give it to me so I can "re-flash" the drive? If not, I guess I'll just use it in my desktop computer.

Regards,

Christian

• 8 months later...

HI Cheloo.

I have exactly the same HDD, have you succeed in the F/W upgrade?

regards

Me too same hard drive.. have you guys upgraded the firmware?+

Hi!

I have a Lacie Black 1TB in which a Seagate ST31000333AS was mounted.

Seagate ST31000333AS 1TB

To make a long story short: I used the ST31000333AS in a NAS where it didn't behave like I thought it should.

I found this thread, read about the firmware for 9FZ136-300 and 9FZ136-558 and decided to try to flash my 9FZ136-100.

I don't have the exact command, but I used the info in jaclaz post. I think it was:

sf -m BRINKS -f 6HSD1B.LOD -s -x -b -v -a 10

The firmware loaded ok and the drive works perfectly in a PC. I've used SeaTools and it passes SMART Check, Short Drive Self Test and Long Generic.

I'm not a hard drive guru so I can't say if passing these tests would qualify the firmware flashing as successful, I'll leave that up to someone who knows what they're talking about.

The only problem I have now is that I decided to put 2TB drives in the NAS instead. After I flashed the drive it doesn't work in the Lacie-casing. When I power it on, it just tries to spin up and clicks. Since it's the same story with a Hitachi deskstar drive, I suppose that you can only use hard drives with Lacie firmware on them.

Is it possible for someone to download the firmware from a Lacie drive with firmware LC15 and give it to me so I can "re-flash" the drive? If not, I guess I'll just use it in my desktop computer.

Regards,

Christian

Been away a while from the forum.. do you have that iso? the new iso files wont allow to do anything beside download the firmware to disc via selection no bat files to edit. you can attach here to drop me a pm so i can send my mail add. thanx

• 4 weeks later...

Regards,

Christian

Hello Christian,

my hard drive is still having the LC15 firmware on, pls explain how to download it and I can send it to you.