Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

WinNTSetup v3.6.3

• Please log in to reply
977 replies to this topic

Atari800XL

Atari800XL

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
JFX, thanks again, you're the best!!! I promise I will (try to) shut up now, it's just that I've had a few days of vacation, and this was another opportunity to learn a lot of new stuff. For me, WinPE_SE (which of course has a lot of JFX in it!!) and WinNTSetup are among the best tools I ever had the pleasure to use. Just as good or better than my all-time favorites: Semware Editor (used that for almost 25 years now), TCC (/LE, 4dos, 4nt, etc), and "Mini" Office 97 portable (no joke, I still use the 18 exe and dll files, 17,5mb, from 1997, they've produced literally tens of thousands of files over the years, I use Excel and Word only, still works in Windows 8x64). But I digress again...
Have a good 2013, you're my PC-Person Of The Year 2012!!! :thumbup

Edited by Atari800XL, 28 December 2012 - 06:28 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
Updated v2.3.3.0 Final

- unattended file selection remembers last location (now command line also)
- better PBR detection
- language detection using default section, instead first found (Thanks wimb)
- if source has EFI boot files, both BCD store are create and used (Thanks wimb)
- Win7 Native USB 3 support check box hidden for non win7 OS installs
- new tweak to disable win8 lockscreen

Happy new year everyone!

Posted Image

Edited by JFX, 09 March 2013 - 10:28 AM.

cy06

cy06
  • 7 posts
JFX, thanks again,
Let us reach agreement in 2013,Have a good 2013
Happy new year everyone!!!
:thumbup

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 677 posts

Updated v2.3.3.0 Final

Thanks JFX and Happy New Year !

:)

pytex

pytex
  • 5 posts
JFX, thank you a lot for the WinNTSetup.

I have an interesting question.
Situation: while preparing the custom Windows 8 wim-image I run the system to the audit-mode by assigning a letter O: (\DosDevices\O: ) to the system-drive (i had to use any letter accept default C: ).
After syspreping all values of the registry key \DosDevices\ were erased.
Now with the normal installation, the system gets the letter C: (as usual).
But if you use the WinNTSetup with this wim-image, the program automatically writes registry key \DosDevices\O: even if an option "mount as" was not used.
Why? Where WinNTSetup reads this letter (used in audit mode) and why it decides to write the value again?
I suppose WinNTSetup does not have to write \DosDevices\ values until it's told to. Or this is like a feature?

Thanks.

vladislays, hi!
it's so nice to meet you here.

Edited by pytex, 03 January 2013 - 06:39 PM.

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
HI pytex,

I don't remember the exact issue without setting DosDevices, but there were some problems.
WinNTSetup always clears the MountedDevices key and calculate DosDevices value for the system drive.
If the user don't specific a letter the last will be used.

It' chosen from registry: Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion, Path

Posted Image

Edited by JFX, 09 March 2013 - 10:29 AM.

vladislays

vladislays
  • 3 posts
pytex, hello! I am also glad to see! :w00t: :hello:
JFX, thanks for the new version!
Happy New Year!

pytex

pytex
  • 5 posts
JFX, thanks. I see, it's a feature, WinNTSetup always adds DosDevices value for the system drive (usually \DosDevices\C: )

Now, knowing where it's choosen from, i can manipulate the value.

pytex

pytex
  • 5 posts
vladislays, :hello:

click-click

click-click

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
When I want to install XP I always launch WinNTSetup from Win7 to prepare for the installation on another drive. I noticed that when running C:\Toolbx\WinNTSetup\WinNTSetup2_x86.exe /DisableSFC, it does not set the appropriate flag in the tweaks section. I was under the impression that Disable Windows File Protection would be selected in the Tweaks section.

Edited by click-click, 16 January 2013 - 02:26 PM.

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
First command line option must be one of the following: /NT5, NT6 or /VHD all others don't need any order.

WinNTSetup2_x86.exe /NT5 /DisableSFC should work.

click-click

click-click

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

First command line option must be one of the following: /NT5, NT6 or /VHD all others don't need any order.

WinNTSetup2_x86.exe /NT5 /DisableSFC should work.

Sorry, I missed that in the spoiler. Anyway, I ran an install with DisableSFC and got errors in setuperr.log

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\system32\sfc_os.dll] is not signed properly
by Microsoft.  This file could not be restored to the correct Microsoft version.
Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file.

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\system32\syssetup.dll] is not signed properly
by Microsoft.  This file could not be restored to the correct Microsoft version.
Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file.

Also my dllcache still had 500MB after the install finished. I went back and redid the install without DisableSFC and setuperr.log was clean.

Edited by click-click, 26 January 2013 - 08:54 AM.

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
These errors in setuperr.log are normal for patched files.

Version 2.3.4.0 is up. It fixed quite same bugs and should also solve your SFC problem.

Posted Image

Edited by JFX, 09 March 2013 - 10:29 AM.

Atari800XL

Atari800XL

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
Thanks for the new version. I can't say that I noticed any "bugs" lately, so now I wonder which bugs you fixed in the new release....

Also, are you saying that disableSFC was not working with XP setup before? So I should test XP setup again with the latest version?
Sorry for asking, but it's just that the previous version was working OK for me, and the only reason for a new test would be the DisableSFC thing...

Thanks for WinNTSetup!!!!

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
DisableSFC patch is a bit tricky, WinNTSetup will avoid making changes to system dll files if it's not entirely sure.
Before Vista every windows language was a bit different. Cause I don't have all languages and service pack, it may not work in all version.

Most other bug were just silly coding, that properly never had cause any problem, but should have been fix.
Only serious bug was with driver integration for windows 8, while running under windows XP.
Well it's getting harder to support XP, but i don't give up yet :)

Atari800XL

Atari800XL

• PipPip
  • 185 posts

Only serious bug was with driver integration for windows 8, while running under windows XP.
Well it's getting harder to support XP, but i don't give up yet :)

OK, thanks for your reply, but it leaves one thing open: You mention that "driver integration for W8 was buggy when running under XP".
So when you say support for XP is getting tougher, is that:
(1) Running WinNTSetup from XP (which I never use, I use WinPE_SE = W7)
(2) Using WinNTSetup to *install* XP

...or both?

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
Just the 1st case, the dism from windows 8 doesn't really like to run under Windows XP/2003.

Atari800XL

Atari800XL

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
I guess it wouldn't be a very big problem if you decided to "reduce" the possibilites to run WinNTSetup from XP, as long as using it to install XP is still possible.

Speaking of which: I always run WinNTSetup from WinPE_SE, which of course you also have (had?) a lot of involvement in. Do you still recommend that as a platform (or even the best platform) for WinNTSetup? Or are there better alternatives? I did some testing with PE4.0 (just the standard Windows 8 PE, with XYPlorer as a shell and Autohotkey for running my most used utilities with a single keystroke, no real need for a normal shell with menu etc).

WinPE_SE is wonderful, but there may come a time to "upgrade" the base for WinNTSetup to PE4? I have no complaints at all about WinPE_SE, it's just strange that sometimes it freezes at boot time ( I always use USB), it looks like there's a problem with some processes waiting for other processes to initialize, which ends up in a freeze. A reboot/ reset usually solves this, but it would be nice to know who is waiting for who... That's the only (tiny) blemish on this perfect system!!!!

Edited by Atari800XL, 02 February 2013 - 03:37 AM.

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
As long WinXP is still used by some many, i'll try to keep supporting it if the workarounds are that easy.

Yes, Windows 7 or a PE3 based PE like Win7PE_SE are the recommended platform to run it.
Some goes for Windows 8 and PE4, but both of them still are under development.

Never had a freezing problem, maybe it's Grub4DOS causing it on some machines, but just a guess.

zpimp

zpimp
  • 3 posts
please help
i just installed win7 pro
from an xp pe using winntsetup v 2.3
i checked [ drive letter preassignment ] and [ mount installation drive as C: ]
now i get this
red is the bootdrive, and all removable i connect shows 2 times - green
i suspect is winntsetup, even though i used the same version before
in diskpart i only see each drive/partition once
Posted Image

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
hi zpimp,

open cmd.exe with admin rights and use mountvol to remove the wrong letters.

example: mountvol Y: /D

zpimp

zpimp
  • 3 posts
thanks for the fast reply, it worked :)
any idea why did it happen ?

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
Sorry, have no idea why this is happening.

xcv150

xcv150
  • 8 posts
Hi, JFX! How to integrate MassStorage drivers in Win Xp, Win 7 and Win 8 program WinNTSetup???

Scampy82

Scampy82

• 19 posts
Hi JFX!
Some questions for you

I have win7.wim with 4 Windows editions:
1 - Home Premium x86
2 - Ult x86
3 - Home Premium x64
4 - Ult x64

Install win7.wim: WinNTSetup.exe -NT6 -source:Y:\LIVE\winsetup\win7\win7.wim -syspart:C: -WimIndex:2 -tempdrive:C: -unattend:"win7\Autounattend.xml" -Sysletter:C

Posted Image

If I choose 64 bit edition, description on top remains 32 bit edition. Why?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Are there still no command lines keys for function "Disable automatic system Restore..." and "Turn off USB..."?

Edited by Scampy82, 18 February 2013 - 06:52 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN