Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

WinNTSetup v3.7.2 / 3.7.5 Beta 1

• Please log in to reply
1049 replies to this topic

cy06

cy06
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 11-June 11
Thanks Very good!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11

Could you please elaborate a little on the new XP file copy engine? Is it really much faster? I'm already looking forward to more testing!! :yes:

Well, the old copy used SHFileOperation, practically windows default for every file copy.

Somehow it's kinda slow, especially for copying many files.
Also it did not give me any infos for the progress bar, therefor unnecessary disk access was needed.

So i had to write my own tool, that just populate a LinkedList with all files/folders and than starts coping.

With fully cached files the copying is twice as fast for many files and in default (uncached) case it still should be noticeable faster.

@cy06
You'r welcome :)

Posted Image

Edited by JFX, 09 March 2013 - 10:22 AM.

Atari800XL

Atari800XL

• PipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Joined 10-March 12
I tested the new XP "file copy engine" on my old HP nc6320 (5400rpm HD, so extra speed is welcomed!):
"Old version": File copy takes 108s (16s for driver copy etc), so XP source file copy: 92s
New version: XP source file copy: 63s!!

That's a 29 second improvement, or 30+ % !!!!!

Very nice, never expected that you could squeeze a little more performance out of it. Great that you don't forget about XP just yet!

:thumbup

alacran

alacran

• 24 posts
  • Joined 15-March 07
JFX

Great Tool, it works flawlessly installing Windows 7 or 8 to HDD, after trying that, I went to tray install 8 Pro to VHD, during creation of VHD, I renamed the default Windows7.vhd to Win8.vhd, after creation, just curious went to verify in disk management the mounted Z, it's tag was Win7 VHD (Z:), then I decided to stop the procedure and report it to you, when unmounting the VHD it said in the little box "C:\Win8.vhd", any way I unmount it.

P.D. Thinking a bit more about this, It seams to me "Win7 VHD" is partition tag and then no matter, maybe if you use only "Win VHD" for tag then you cover any version.
Windows 8 Pro installed without any trouble to VHD, just chaged partition tag to Win 8 VHD, It runs just like in HDD.

Thanks for this great tool.

Edited by alacran, 17 October 2012 - 09:12 AM.

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11
Hi alacran,

Win7 VHD is just the drive label and can be changed without problem whenever the VHD is mounted.
But your right is a bit confusing now with Windows 8.
Guess the best is if I change the label to the user selected filename

Posted Image

alacran

alacran

• 24 posts
  • Joined 15-March 07
Hi JFX

Is there a way to translate your great tool to other languages? in order to make it available to other people that don't speak English, If you are agree I can translate it to Spanish (my mother tongue), I have done it before with other free tools.

Once again thanks for your great tool, now make it accessible to the entire world.

Best regards

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11
Hi alacran,

just change this language.ini as you like and put in the same folder.

2.3.1.1 is now available with better VHD label

Posted Image

alacran

alacran

• 24 posts
  • Joined 15-March 07
JFX

Spanish translation finished, thanks again.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mzmyeekynvbw8n8

P.D. During VHD creation every thing is in English, for some reason translation doesn’t change the original
That's from dialog 3000 to 3048, Tested with v2.3.1 and v2.3.1.1

Best regards

Edited by alacran, 21 October 2012 - 10:21 AM.

Atari800XL

Atari800XL

• PipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Joined 10-March 12
JFX, thanks for the language.ini, this just shows once more how professional your program is [the fact that we can easily translate it, I mean]!
I found a few spelling errors in the file, is it OK if I post them here?

004 contain -> contains, 007 contain -> contains, 007 inculde -> include 104 installationsdrive -> installationdrive 169 Dou -> do 217 unsinged -> unsigned 1021 an first -> at first, deaktivated -> deactivated 1028 BallonTips -> Balloontips 2031 completly -> completely 3030 avalibe -> available 3035 Finshed -> Finished 3040 occured -> occurred 3045 Faild -> Failed

Maybe you can change them in the original files? Please don't think that this is criticism, hey, I'm not a native English speaker myself, but I'm sure you're too busy yourself to take notice of these little "slips of the pen".

Edited by Atari800XL, 21 October 2012 - 11:31 AM.

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11
@alacran

thanks for translation :thumbup
I've found the problem with VHD creation strings, should be fixed in 2.3.1.2.

@Atari800XL

absolutely no problem, have found quite some more with Word 2007 Posted Image
new language.ini is in previous link and built in 2.3.1.2

Posted Image

Edited by JFX, 09 March 2013 - 10:23 AM.

alacran

alacran

• 24 posts
  • Joined 15-March 07
Hi JFX

It's my pleasure to tell you the translation is working very well with last version (2.3.1.2), I had to modify minor details once it was possible to see translated strings during VHD creation, some of them were not seen well, all of them are okay now, only two more comments at String 014= I added Windows 8 Pro and Enterprise, as they also can be installed to VHD, maybe you forgot to update this line, string 166 it said Windows 7 now it says Windows 7 or 8
Assuming all changes you did were only Orthographical, I didn’t check farther.

Last version of Spanish translation:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ibucaxulzz43izm

Once again thanks, I love this little program, I am glad now it's going to be usefull for more people.

Best Regards

wcy0236

wcy0236
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 22-October 12
下来用用看! 多谢! :thumbup

cy06

cy06
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 11-June 11
@JFX
Chinese translation finished, thanks again.

laddanator

laddanator

• PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 06-August 11

Donator

Ok, been trying to read all the pages and I must be missing something. Tried this newest tool for the first time today and XP txt setup portion went well and then BSOD (the x000000000007) so not sure if I did the drivers right. Should the source I am using already have Driver Packs slipstream to or should I leave driver packs out and just point to my mass storage drive folder to be copied to c when all the files are being copied with the add driver tab? I also tried Win 7 and everything worked well, just having issues (driver issues) with XP. The only mod to my XP source is the Driver Pack Stuff.

Thanks for your work.

Edited by laddanator, 28 October 2012 - 05:41 PM.

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11
@alacran
Thanks, I'll fix string 014 in next version. 166 is only thought for win7, the usbboot checkbox has no effect on win8 installs.

@cy06
Great, thanks for translating :thumbup

@laddanator
At what state of setup does the BSoD occurs (TXTMODE or GUIMODE) ?
Does it work if you boot it from CD/DVD?

Actually there should be no problem with already slipstreamed Driver Packs,
but there could be a version conflict with a newer or older driver.

laddanator

laddanator

• PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 06-August 11

Donator

At what state of setup does the BSoD occurs (TXTMODE or GUIMODE) ?
Does it work if you boot it from CD/DVD?

1. It runs the entire text setup and get to the part Setup is Starting Windows, the part right before it shows you the list of HD to install to and blue screens

2. I have not made and iso of this test version I am using but my modded version (update packs) with the same driver packs slipstream boot from my USB and installs fine. I will make an ISO today and test.

Also, just wondering, what is the deal with not being able to using a RVM_Integrated XP source as far as not working with your tool? Is it considered illegal to add updates to XP this way? Or is it a conflict with your script and to much to write one to work with an integrated XP source? Not picking your work apart. I love how fast this tool sets up Win 7. Just wondering because if you use a fresh XP source, tons of updates on a fresh install.

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11

1. It runs the entire text setup and get to the part Setup is Starting Windows, the part right before it shows you the list of HD to install to and blue screens

Hmm, either the right driver is not integrated or not loaded for some reason. Are you sure you have the correct driver for the controller?

Also, just wondering, what is the deal with not being able to using a RVM_Integrated XP source as far as not working with your tool? Is it considered illegal to add updates to XP this way? Or is it a conflict with your script and to much to write one to work with an integrated XP source? Not picking your work apart. I love how fast this tool sets up Win 7. Just wondering because if you use a fresh XP source, tons of updates on a fresh install.

Well these packs aren't legal at all and don't integrate the way thought by MS. It's up to you if you trust the the authors of these packs and use them.
WinNTSetup can't fully handle this integration and since no time, properly never will.

laddanator

laddanator

• PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 06-August 11

Donator

Well these packs aren't legal at all and don't integrate the way thought by MS. It's up to you if you trust the the authors of these packs and use them.
WinNTSetup can't fully handle this integration and since no time, properly never will.

Are you saying if I use the method here

http://unattended.ms...xp/view/web/23/

then this is the way Microsoft intended to be done and your program will load XP if this method is used?

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11

then this is the way Microsoft intended to be done and your program will load XP if this method is used?

Yeah, that the right integration, but don't thing it fix your driver problem.

laddanator

laddanator

• PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 06-August 11

Donator

Yeah, that the right integration, but don't thing it fix your driver problem

Your right, the driver problem is something with this stupid Asus board lol. I mean will your program install XP if I use the integration method above and will it still be considered a "clean" source?

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07
Using RyanVM Integrator to prepare my XP Setup Setup Source is going very well.
I am using Dutch XP Post- SP3 UpdatePack v12.10.0 Oktober 2012 NL and I never use nLite

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=24424

Afterwards you need to use DPsBase.exe to integrate DriverPack Massstorage with TXT Mode Enabled.
Use DPsBase.exe to Integrate DriverPacks Chipset + Processor + MassStorage + LAN + WLAN DriverPacks.
http://driverpacks.net/downloads

Edited by wimb, 31 October 2012 - 02:14 AM.

USB Booting - UEFI_MULTI

MBR-Backup - Make-PE3

--------------------

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11

I mean will your program install XP if I use the integration method above and will it still be considered a "clean" source?

Yes, I never run into problems doing it that way. But personally I prefer post setup updates via runonce.

AQM

AQM

• 22 posts
  • Joined 11-April 11
using the winnt setup i first formatted my boot partition and xp logical partition and used 7 pe usb boot to run winnt setup.
it setups the xp setup and ask to reboot and after that the hd stucks at cursor _ blinking and no further going i tried twice
formatting boot and xp logical partiion before doing that

this work on vista 7 8 bootloader a boot entry of windows setup adds to boot loader but through xp bootloader is stuck at cursor blinking on black screen just after bios boots

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11
Hi AQM,

that interesting, Lancelot also reported me such a boot problem and I always thought it would be BIOS related.
But if you say that NT6 bootcode / loader works, than there is some hope to fix it.
Just the problem, I've nothing to reproduce it. Do you have anymore informations like:

- partition alignment
- partition starting offset (maybe above 160 GB ?)
- does real xp setup work in this partition

Posted Image

Edited by JFX, 09 March 2013 - 10:23 AM.

laddanator

laddanator

• PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 06-August 11

Donator

Got a suggestion if that's ok. I got XP covered on the way I install it but I love the idea you have here with installing NT6x stuff. I use a weird folder setup on my USB drive and like the user above, I use setupcomplete.cmd in the $OEM% folder but I do not keep this folder in sources. I made a universal setup to cover all the current NT6x stuff on reloads so I wouldn't have 4 of the same stuff taking up USB space. Could there be a tab added to browse from an $OEM$ folder to copy over if outside of sources folder?

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

josywong