Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

WinNTSetup v3.7.7

• Please log in to reply
1135 replies to this topic

JFX

JFX

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11

Sorry, but with this update packs it will not work.

It would be to time consuming to support all this nlite madness.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Atari800XL

Atari800XL

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 10-March 12

I know JFX can't support every type of nlited XP source, etc.

But on the other hand: it's not like WinNTSetup is particularly picky or anything.

I also update my XP source (almost) every month, and (almost) never had any problems with WinNTSetup. Here's what I do: -a- Clean XPSP3 -b- Ryan integrator: Updatepack, Addon IE8 and Net35 -c- nLite: latest hotfixes, some mods (classic setupscreen ao.) -d- DPbase SATA drivers -e- Some other basic stuff (not relevant) to build a nice 700mb iso.

As I said: as long as you keep everything somewhat standard, not too "weird", WinNTSetup will support it just fine.

So another big thanks to JFX for providing all his wonderful tools and knowledge in 2013!! (WinNTSetup, WinPESE, GetWAIKTools). Have a nice holiday!!!

Edited by Atari800XL, 23 December 2013 - 12:00 PM.

conty9

conty9
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 23-December 13

Russian translation.

JFX

JFX

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11

Thanks Atari800XL and conty9!

I wish you all a happy X-Mas and a great new year.

til then I'm on holidays  :hello:

xcv150

xcv150
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 17-February 13

Доброго времени суток conty9! Рад вас и тут видеть...Хорошо, что добавили перевод проги на русский язык...Сам хотел добавить, чтобы был тут, но вы опередили...

Atari800XL

Atari800XL

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 10-March 12

JFX, I hope you will have a nice holiday!

There's one little feature request I would like to make, I'm sure you will not read it until the next year, but I'm on a break as well right now, so I have some spare time and thought I'd mention it anyway.

Here's my case: I use the "-runafter" switch all the time, mostly to test out several "$oem$ folders". Instead of using the actual $oem$ folders (which would require me to change the source folder everytime), I use a SFX that extracts the desired "Setup\Scripts" and other folders on c:\.

Lately, I'm testing a lot of different variations in the Scripts folder (setupcomplete.cmd etc), so I copy different "CopySetupScripts.exe" SFX's around. I was thinking to myself that it would be very nice to have a WinNTSetup dialog/ file selector to pick different files. But I didn't want to trouble you with it, I know you like the GUI to remain just as it is.

But then a minute ago, I was looking at the main GUI again, and to me it looks as if there's a perfect little spot for a file select item just below the "Unattended" and "Add drivers" boxes.

So here's my formal feature request:

- Is it possible to add a file select item with a checkbox below "Unattended" and "Add drivers"? It would be great for Windows setup script experiments!

Thanks for listening, if you don't like my request, no problem at all, WinNTSetup is darn near perfect anyway!!!

Little mockup (I changed it from 2 to 3 selectors):

Attached File  winntsetup.gif   6.81KB   3 downloads

Edited by Atari800XL, 26 December 2013 - 07:50 AM.

conty9

conty9
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 23-December 13

Version 3 has a bug - after running (WinPE based on XP/2003) does not work subst (subst.exe), and disabled mounted folder. If the first run 2.x, 3.x after it works without problems and subst worked.

purjuju

purjuju
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 28-December 13

Hello everybody!

Thank you for this amazing software but I want to use it on an SDHC card as it's faster than a usb stick and easy to use on a laptop : I just plug if I want to use my windows or leave it unpluged inside the SD card port if I want to use my professional windows.

So I tried but It doesn't boot on it... :( I just have a black screen "a disk read error occured"

I used the following parameters:

I've selected "install.wim"

NTFS Format

Windows NT 6.x MBR

BOOTMGR

Windows Basic

Bootsec.exe

USB native

Please help me! :)

Thank you.

Purjuju

b1Azer

b1Azer
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 29-December 13

Just to get this str8, WinNTSetup does not function for Win7 or Win8, due to problems in the booting files.....?

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

What gave you that idea?

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

Jotto

Jotto
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 14-January 10

Hello and thanks for the great tool!

I just want to ask if anybody else experience my problem and if am i causing it.

I use a 16gb usb flash drive with syslinux 4.07. It has few tools and live systems. For Windows setups i use WinPE 5.0 x86 (currently) - almost default settings, it just has scripting package and imagex in system32. In my WinPE 5.0 I've also added your tool WinNTSetup 3.0.6 in "Program Files" folder with the adk files it downloads. From syslinux' menu i have an entry for grub4dos 0.4.4 (stable version) chainloading WinPE's bootmgr. Everything's good so far.

When WinPE is loaded and runing i do some diskpart stuff and then start WinNTSetup with no commands and settings. Then i search for my windows_aio.swm file ( i've made a single custom .wim file by exporting Windows Vista/7/8.1 x86 and x64 clean sources and i've split the file into 5-6 swm files so that i can put them on my FAT32 formatted flash drive ). When i do all the options and hit setup it start to apply the image and just little before the end it stops. The status bar looks active and the buttons become active aswell, but that's it.

I have to mention that XP setup completes fine and i have no problem there, just with the vista/7/8 setup. I've also tried WinPE 3.0 and BartPE, but i get the same result. I haven't tried different .wim sources, but this source worked on the last major release 2.* plus i resplitted the .wim file into new .swm files with /CHECK switch just to make sure there is no corruption. I'll do some testing with new sources these days after the holidays.

Have a great time welcoming the new year and keep up the good work on this project ;)

JFX

JFX

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11

@Atari800XL
Runafter will find a place on the proceed page.

@conty9
Really don't understand what you mean with subst not working. I tried a few things and couldn't find an issue with it.

@purjuju
Have never tried booting windows form SD card, but it should be possible.
However your problem comes from the PBR, maybe repartitionize your card can help.

@Jotto
Your right, there is something broken with the use of swm files.

BTW: with bootice you can create a USB flash drive with multiple partitions.
A FAT32 for the boot one and an NTFS for normal usage.

datanfsm

datanfsm
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 02-January 14

Happy new year,

@JFX

i would like to use your tool:-) and have some questions, hints, wishes and a bug report.

maybe some of them can be fixed or become supported features;-)

1)

my first try was to use winntsetup within winpe 3.0, nothing special

i have some preconfigured OS'es powerd by RIS/WDS server and i decided to

install from selected source a new winxp/sp3/vl-OS. B)

2)

my second try was to let winntsetup install an untouched winxp/sp3/vl-OS

however i guess case 1) is unsupported, but my attempt  2) also failed.

after reboot, the error message "Error loading operating system" is displayed.

the disk seems to be OK (MBR/PTB/NTFS-Partion craeted by bootice, NT5.x bootcode),

because im able to install into same partition when processing another methods.

(in winntsetup i see MBR/NTLDR PBR/BOOT FLAG all OK)

i will try a real machine;-) maybe vmplayer 5.0.3 doesnt work....

case 1)

When using WDS, there is a special folder 'templates' within the i386 folder.

it contains a set of .sif files.

**wish**

the .sif files looks like:

[data]

floppyless = "1"

msdosinitiated = "1"

UnattendedInstall = "Yes"

OriSrc = \\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%

OriTyp = "4"

LocalSourceOnCD = 1

[SetupData]

OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect"

SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"

of cource OriSrc/SetupSourceDevice are unusable.

there are some variables (fixed and user-defined) like %ORGNAME%,%MACHINENAME%,%MACHINEDOMAIN%,%IP%

is it possible to create a set of variables (%ORGNAME%...),

let the user define them and replace values in the selected .sif file?

it is possible to fix or delete OriSrc, SetupSourceDevice?

**hint**

winntsetup creates always a $oem$ folder (tweaks), even if no tweak is selected.

**bug report**

in case of an existing cmdlines.txt, for example

[Commands]

"%systemdrive%\$Setup$\setupcomplete.cmd"

winntsetup inserts an extra line , but destroys the original one (ystemdrive%\$Setup$\setupcomplete.cmd").

-------

is there a way to hide the gui part "Windows 2000/XP/2003" or "Windows Vista/7/8/2008/2012"  respectively?

Thanks JFK

Edited by datanfsm, 02 January 2014 - 02:50 PM.

Jotto

Jotto
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 14-January 10

@JFX
I did try to make two partitions with many diffrent programs, the result is all the same - windows can't access the second partition, neither can winpe. That's why i use swm files.

JFX

JFX

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11

@datanfsm

WDS is not supported, only usual local windows sources are useable by WinNTSetup.

The cmdlines.txt bug will be fixed.

@Jotto

Your right Windows can only access the first partition, but bootice can switch them. So you can have a hidden boot partition that windows ignores but still is bootable.

steve6375

steve6375

Junior

• Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Joined 25-November 04

I tried using v3.0.6 with Win 7 SP1 32-bit Ultimate as a source (Win7 64-bit Ult as host) and installing to an NTFS USB HDD (first partition). The install went OK and the USB HDD boots, but I get 'Starting Windows' and then the rgby flag and then 'Windows could not complete the installation'.

Am I missing a step? Is booting from USB supported or are extra tweaks required?

Edited by steve6375, 03 January 2014 - 05:35 AM.

Visit www.rmprepusb.com for RMPrepUSB, the new Easy2Boot multiboot USB solution and 100+ tutorials on booting from USB drives.

JFX

JFX

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11

'Windows could not complete the installation'.

Am I missing a step? Is booting from USB supported or are extra tweaks required?

No you don't miss anything. This a quite often occurring error, but not limited to the fast install way.

On some machines I got this even multiple times trying to install from original Win7 DVD.

I guess there some timing problem while initialize hardware that cause it.

datanfsm

datanfsm
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 02-January 14

Many, many thanks JFX for your  Tool :-)

Thx for fixing cmdlines bug....

1) even if not supported , setup from WDS i386 Folder works well ;-) , we need to copy setupldr.bin into the source  folder :-) a pity that there is no Intention to modify selected .sif file and replace variables in it with real values..however it can be managed by Notepad or some automated postprocessing;-) 

1) & 2) i had to use diskpart to prepare the disk, (i guess the reason of failed setup was the default partition alignment applied by bootice)

JFX

JFX

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11

@datanfsm

Maybe there will be more improvements for XP installs, but not soon.

Currently there is only 1 easter egg planed for NT5 installs, but maybe if there is more time avalible. Let's see.

Anyway there are enough fixes since the 3.0 release, so here's a small update.

Update WinNTSetup v3.1

- fixed splited wim (swm) files could not be applied
- using vista style folder browse dialogs if available
- new runafter program selection on Ready GUI
- fixed existing cmdlines.txt became corrupted
- minor bugfixes

datanfsm

datanfsm
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 02-January 14

Thats very fast, thank you! :yes:

Atari800XL

Atari800XL

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 10-March 12

@Atari800XL
Runafter will find a place on the proceed page.

Nice!! Didn't even think about the proceed page, this is a nice compromise (as I said, I know you don't like to change the UI).

I'm testing right now, I open XYplorer to find my "test-copyafter.exe", use control-p to copy the filename with path and paste it into the WinNTSetup "Proceed" Runafter line. This seems to work nicely.

Even better would be a tiny little file selector after the editbox, would you pleaser condider that? Maybe a tiny "..." box, like in the main GUI. (EDIT: Tested it multiple times already, working nicely, real advantage of a fileselector would be to prevent typos. Still, if you leave things as they are, I'm completey happy with it, thanks for listening!!!!)

Thank you JFX, I hope you will be with "us" for many more years!!!! The more I read about this stuff (WinNTSetup, GetWAIKTools, Win81SE, etc, etc) the more I realize that you are the main force behind most of this stuff, you are one of the only people who combine programming skills, "general niceness", patience and communication skills. It's hard enough to find people with only *one* of these, but you seem to have them all. :thumbup

Edited by Atari800XL, 04 January 2014 - 06:03 AM.

JFX

JFX

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11

Oh, so you have not noticed that you can click on the OEM and Runafter labels to get file select dialogs, my bad for not mention that.

Well honestly I have nothing to do with PESE progress anymore. ChrisR puts all his time in development.

I'm just enjoy beta testing these great WinPE's.

Edited by JFX, 04 January 2014 - 09:07 AM.

Atari800XL

Atari800XL

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 10-March 12

Oh, so you have not noticed that you can click on the OEM and Runafter labels to get file select dialogs, my bad for not mention that.

I have nothing to do with PESE progress anymore.

Nope, didn't notice that I could click Oem and Runafter... I think it's because I use the keyboard as much as I can (together with Autohotkey shotcut keys, etc). So it turns out the file selector was there already. Brilliant, thanks!!!

About WinPESE: I'm sure you will help out again when it's needed... (?)

Anyway: I'm sure you know what I meant: Your (nick-)name pops up all over the place, that why I mentioned it. Bottomline is: You are good guy... (now take the compliment, please!) :P

Edited by Atari800XL, 04 January 2014 - 09:31 AM.

tranngocyd

tranngocyd
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 11-December 13

@datanfsm

Maybe there will be more improvements for XP installs, but not soon.

Currently there is only 1 easter egg planed for NT5 installs, but maybe if there is more time avalible. Let's see.

Anyway there are enough fixes since the 3.0 release, so here's a small update.

Update WinNTSetup v3.1

- fixed splited wim (swm) files could not be applied
- using vista style folder browse dialogs if available
- new runafter program selection on Ready GUI
- fixed existing cmdlines.txt became corrupted
- minor bugfixes

JFX

JFX

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11

@tranngocyd

Complete change log for 3.0 to 3.1 fixes and first page now :)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users