Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

WinNTSetup v3.7.7

• Please log in to reply
1134 replies to this topic

RUSerious

RUSerious

Junior

• Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Joined 16-September 08

@RUSerious

you are right there is a problem with the file extention, I'll fix this later.

Are you saying that WinNTSetup actually does create a VHDX, and that we can just edit extension to =.VHDX manually?

Or does the parameter error indicate some other issue?

VHDX does offer some nice features.

Thanks for your work.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

JFX

JFX

• PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11

Hmm, no I use diskpart.exe and that decides between the 2 by extension.

But I wonder that there is a problem with attaching them.

RUSerious

RUSerious

Junior

• Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Joined 16-September 08

For easy testing of the VHDXs that diskmgmt creates, can drag a shortcut of W:\Windows\System32\diskmgmt.msc to desktop.

See the diskmgmt "Action" menu.

Hope that helps.

diskmgmt might attach the VHDX when it is created and that error might be from trying to attach a VHDX that is already attached.

Don't see a way to detach the VHDX via diskmgmt.

Sorry if that confused things.

Edited by RUSerious, 20 March 2015 - 09:17 AM.

JFX

JFX

• PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11

You right, it gives this "wrong paramter" error if the vdisk is already attached or detached.

I uploaded new version, that should fix the gui not want to create a vhdx.

RUSerious

RUSerious

Junior

• Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Joined 16-September 08

Fantastic! Works like a charm. Thanks

Atari800XL

Atari800XL

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 10-March 12

JFX, hope you don't mind me asking a somewhat off-topic question: Do you know if there's a way to tell which DISM versions are compatible? For example: sometimes when I test a new Windows 10 preview build, I want to add NetFX3 and some drivers to the install.wim before first install (also: convert to Enterprise using SetEdition). But sometimes (other/new build) I get an error saying I need a newer DISM version. Other times it does work (like now: 10036 can service the 10041 install.wim just fine).

I don't want to take up a lot of your time, but I guessed you might know this. So once again: How can I know if I can service a *new* install.wim with an "old" DISM. Or is it just trial and error? Thanks!

(On the MDL forum, some friendly people explained how to extract the new DISM files from a new ISO, or even from an ESD, using wimlib and image 1 of the wim [instead of 4 for the install files]. Haven't tested that, though...)

Edited by Atari800XL, 21 March 2015 - 04:06 AM.

JFX

JFX

• PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11

Well, it's a technical preview, they can brake or change functionality with every build as they like.

So no, there is no way to tell.

• Atari800XL likes this

bomz

bomz
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 23-March 15

last version 3 7 1 - 3 7 7 not work create account, switch off system restore ... for xp. vista problem to

JFX

JFX

• PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11

There was indeed a problem with user creating using, but only using x86 exe.

Switching off system restore works, on vista and later quota is set to 0.

It's not so easy to fully disable it on nt6, I wanted to address this with a service like I did with password reset.

But that resulted in to many false positive AV reports.

Edited by JFX, 23 March 2015 - 01:09 PM.

ilkertezcan

ilkertezcan
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 28-October 05
@JFX:

Firstly, thank you very much for WinNTsetup and your other useful tools.
Secondly, I'm sorry my bad English.

I have a issue (and later request, if it's possible).

At first, I will writing the issue:

I can install Windows 7~10TP Build 9876 to my 2nd HDD with WinNTsetup. But since Win10TP's build 9926 and 10041, it's become strange. In that, after cyan logo/boot phase is disappeared, the PC alway restart. No start sysprep phase, no setup/OOBE settings/desktop. I tried almost every ways for solution: using wimlib instead of wimGapi, BCD parameters, tweaks service/drivers in Reg hives, what not. No change. :(

Also I tried another way without WinNTsetup. Extracting Install.wim with WimLib.
wimlib-imagex.exe extract install.wim 1 --dest-dir=e:\
bootsect.exe /nt60 e: /mbr /force
bcdboot e:\windows /s e:

No change. No BSOD, no any dump or log file. Again, after logo, PC is restarting cycle.

Finally, I tried Windows' own Setup phases (directly running original Setup on ISO). The Windows Setup (Boot.WIM Image:2) can install normal way. After install progress is finished, PC restart. Okay. After logo is loading, the white OOBE/sysprep phase is coming. No reset loop. I very suprised that. 

What is make settings Windows Setup, besides of bootsect, BCDboot? I just can't detect. :)

Edited by ilkertezcan, Today, 05:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users