Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

WinNTSetup v3.8.1.1 / 3.8.5 Beta 3

• Please log in to reply
1284 replies to this topic

changuk98

changuk98
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 23-August 15

This is the best tool I know. I use it when I install 8.1 or 10 to my hard drive. except....

I found that 10 isn`t working. it spits error that the device is not ready. But the important thing is I made my driver ready.

I want to install windows 10 using winntsetup.

Please someone help me!!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

alacran

alacran

Junior

• Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Joined 15-March 07

@ JFX

Thanks to you for this new version, just downloaded beta 3, I'll test install in compact mode using as source an *.esd and report back.

Also I want to share the easiest way to install wofadk.sys in our current 7 or 8.x OS, to make it able to run wofadk service on it:

Once you run WinNTSetup the first time, just copy wofadk.sys from folder Tools\x64\DISM or Tools\x86\DISM according to your current OS to:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers then run the attached WofAdk.reg to register it and reboot.

After reboot open a command as administrator and type net start wofadk and enter to make sure the service is running.

Best Regards

alacran

EDIT: From a 7SP-1x64 PC, I made an install Compact mode Xpress8k to a VHD using as source 10x64 install.esd, It ended fine, WinNTSetup.log looks there was no issue,  It took long time to finish unfortunately I didn't measure it. Latter booting from this VHD all is OK.

Attached Files

Edited by alacran, 27 August 2015 - 01:50 PM.

changuk98

changuk98
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 23-August 15

well, i picked green and i`m good to go.

and I said windows 10, not 7.

Try installing usb at this time.

I see that wimboot isn`t an best option.

test:windows 10 64 bit kn-not technical preview or insider review.

Attached Files

• Attached File  test.png   31.67KB   3 downloads

changuk98

changuk98
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 23-August 15

I tried with adata usb 128gb using mode express k.(usb 3.0ver but It worked with u2.0 because there is no usb 3.0port)

yeah it failed. It ends with blue screen

I tried at windows 8.1 version and it tooks 24 hours to do it and I can`t spend more.

the iso or wim file what I use is windows 10 kn pro series and it is not insider preview.

don`t mess with windows 7 and 8.1, please!!!

JFX

JFX

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11
Hi changuk98,

it's a bit hard to understand you and the problem you have.
What exactly are you doing and what bluescreen do you have?
Does it work if you apply in normal mode, no wimboot/compact?
Are there any 3th party driver need for your pc?

@alacran

Next version will log the time required to apply the wim file.

crashnburn4u

crashnburn4u

Junior

• Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Joined 04-August 10

Multiple operations fail if Windows 8 is improperly identified as a Windows To Go installation

https://support.micr...n-us/kb/2778881

Consider the following scenario:

• You have a computer that is running Windows 8
  • The Windows may report that it is running as a Windows To Go (WTG) installation, while it is not.
  • Running or configuring certain Windows components may fail since the OS is reported as Windows to Go. Since these components are not expected to work and should not work when running Windows To Go installations.

In this scenario, you may notice the following issues:

• Refresh your PC fails reporting: 
    Your PC can't be refreshed because it's running Windows To Go
  • The Windows To Go control panel reports: 
    Can't change startup options when you're in a your Windows To Go Workspace
  • Windows Store fails with error
    Windows Store isn't available on Windows To Go Workspaces

Anyone face this in any of the following for a WTG that you have.. that was.. created using on of the 3 below..

For those who have created or use WTG Windows To Go using any of the following ones? 

- using WinNTSetup

- using this WTG Creator: Windows to Go x64 x32 for Pro and Core RTM
- using the Geniune WTG in Windows Enterprise...

Also, the following questions..

- What kind of license does the created WTG have? 
- Does it take on the license/ activation of the "creating" system? 
- Does it have to be activated with a license separately.. if so what/ which license will work on it? 

My question is for Win 8.1, but I think the same might apply to Win 10?

Edited by crashnburn4u, 01 September 2015 - 03:13 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 16,049 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

- Does it have to be activated with a license separately.. if so what/ which license will work on it? 

Yeah, very difficult to find:

https://en.wikipedia...i/Windows_To_Go

https://en.wikipedia...To_Go#Licensing

In a nutshell you need an Enterprise license and Software Assurance.

On technet (for Windows 8/5.1):

https://technet.micr...y/jj592680.aspx

How is Windows To Go licensed?

Windows To Go allows organization to support the use of privately owned PCs at the home or office with more secure access to their organizational resources. With Windows To Go use rights under Software Assurance, an employee will be able to use Windows To Go on any company PC licensed with Software Assurance as well as from their home PC. Additionally, through a new companion device license for Software Assurance, employees will be able to use Windows To Go on their personal computers at work.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 01 September 2015 - 09:05 AM.

Atari800XL

Atari800XL

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Joined 10-March 12

JFX, I was wondering if you could help with disabling automatic drivers updates in Windows 10.

Please read my post on MDL:

http://forums.mydigi...l=1#post1134905

As you can see I did try "something", I hoped it would work, but it didn't.

Any help on this would be great, but if you don't want to be bothered, that's fine as well. Never hurts to ask, does it?

I do have a less-than-perfect solution for this, and that is to install offline, then disable Windows Update completely, but that is of course not the best way to go. Also, Windows 10 Pro seems to activate better when it has an internet connection *during* setup (activating later does work, but can take days, and give strange errors, like "key blocked", when it really isn't, etc.)

Thanks again x1000 for WinNTSetup!!!!!

JFX

JFX

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11

Have you tried this: ttps://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/77b19c3c-7417-4eff-be5a-dec7f8bd16a6/how-to-prevent-driver-install-from-checking-windows-update?forum=quebecservicingdeployment

crashnburn4u

crashnburn4u

Junior

• Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Joined 04-August 10

Thanks for those insights. I get that. We do have several Enterprise MAK licenses.

The typical WTG scenario I read about is Mother{ W Enterprise} - Daughter {created on USB using WTG} system. 

What I wish to do is avoid this and move my primary OS to a .VHD/ VHDX {As I read people doing on several blogs - But no clarity on what/how}

Could I do this with a DISM/ APPLY to VHD with a Win Enterprise ISO/ WIM? thereby avoiding the M&D and this VHD is good to go automatically? moveable across hardware. 

Do I have to create a Mother - Daughter thing and when mapping WTG Creator I map it to the mounted VHD drive? 

Yeah, very difficult to find:

https://en.wikipedia...i/Windows_To_Go

https://en.wikipedia...To_Go#Licensing

In a nutshell you need an Enterprise license and Software Assurance.

On technet (for Windows 8/5.1):

https://technet.micr...y/jj592680.aspx

How is Windows To Go licensed?

Windows To Go allows organization to support the use of privately owned PCs at the home or office with more secure access to their organizational resources. With Windows To Go use rights under Software Assurance, an employee will be able to use Windows To Go on any company PC licensed with Software Assurance as well as from their home PC. Additionally, through a new companion device license for Software Assurance, employees will be able to use Windows To Go on their personal computers at work.

jaclaz

Edited by crashnburn4u, Today, 06:24 AM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mediapartner (1), jaclaz, crashnburn4u