WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

Just did a test of version 2.3a (sorry, didn't use your Imdisk installers, I always use its "daughter", osfmount [silently, of course]).

Booted with WinPE_SE, used my Autohotkey scripts (ctrl-sh-7, ctrl-sh-8, ctrl-sh-x) to install W7, W8, XP to 3 seperate primary partitions:

WinNTSetup2_x86.exe -nt6 -source:k:\sources\install.wim -syspart:c: -unattend:"autounattend_w7.xml" -savedriveletters -sysletter:c -reboot -disableuac

WinNTSetup2_x86.exe -nt6 -source:k:\sources\install.wim -syspart:c: -unattend:"autounattend_w8.xml" -savedriveletters -sysletter:c -reboot -disableuac

WinNTSetup2_x86.exe -nt5 -source:k: -syspart:c: -unattend:winnt.sif -savedriveletters -drivers:"L:\" -reboot

Everything fully unattended, it all works so perfectly it's almost not funny anymore!!! :}

.... I'm kidding, of course: WinPE_SE and WinNTSetup are absolutely amazing in their power and possibilities!!! :w00t:

Thank you soooo much for all your work! :thumbup

Edited by Atari800XL

Is it necessary to format the target partition for a clean Win7 install with WinNTSetup?

No, it's not mandatory. install will overwrite files and abort if there would be a problem.

But yes there will be files remaining from old Windows installation.

With removing an old installation without formating, i see 2 problems:

1. NTFS security settings

- one would need to take ownership & grant access

or using a tool like xdel

2. Junctions and Symlink (and this is the thing that scares me ! :ph34r: )

- junctions and symlinks in Win7 are created with full path.

think you have an offline win7 that has C: as normal drive letter and is now under your current running windows mounted as D:

It's junctions and symlink will still point to C:, but that could be the current running windows :ph34r:

Even Mircosofts own tools like robocopy don't handle symlinks right.

It might happen that deleting an offline windows switch the drive and start deleting files/folder one the current system drive !

Fyi JFX

After asking the author to add an enhancement to XDEL, he has updated it with a new parameter: --one-volume-only You no longer need to be scared. :no: With this parm, only files on the target drive are deleted. The updated version is not on his website because he is in the process of moving files to another site, Here's the Link.

Everything fully unattended, it all works so perfectly it's almost not funny anymore!!! :}

.... I'm kidding, of course: WinPE_SE and WinNTSetup are absolutely amazing in their power and possibilities!!! :w00t:

Ha, ha I know what you mean. Yeah sometimes a project make a lot of fun while doing it, but someday one noticed there nothing more to improve.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Fyi JFX

After asking the author to add an enhancement to XDEL, he has updated it with a new parameter: --one-volume-only You no longer need to be scared. :no: With this parm, only files on the target drive are deleted. The updated version is not on his website because he is in the process of moving files to another site, Here's the Link.

That's great news.

Finally a good way to remove a windows installation without formating and XDEL is also pretty fast :)

Thanks

cheers.gif

Edited by JFX

Yes, XDEL is fast, and also very dangerous, as I found out...

So I want to give an extra WARNING for anyone who might want to try it out:

DON'T even think about trying to get some help or explanation by carelessly trying out these commands:

XDEL (if you might expect some helpmessage)

or

XDEL /? (if you might expect a list of command-line options)

The first commands wipes out your current drive, the second deletes all 1-character filenames (like I use for my most important files: My TrueCrypt volumes, which have single-letter names that correspond with the driveletters they're mounted under).

Luckily, I always have enough backups, but I must say this is the most dangerous tool I have ever come across!!! :blink:

I fully realise powertools like this one should not be used by noobs, but even then, I was surprised by this little wolf in sheep's clothing!!!! :o

Edited by Atari800XL

If you mean I shouldn't have touched XDEL in the first place, you're probably right.

Still, I'm glad I tried it, because I'm sure I can use it in the future. I just never came across a tool that was so powerful (dangerous) when starting it without any parameters, or with the "/?" parameter.

Again, I'm only blaming myself for any data loss that could have occurred (*), but looking back, I still wonder why there isn't a list of command line options.

(*) On my test PC, I sometimes use "destuctive" tools on purpose, just to see what happens. That's why it's a test machine.

Edited by Atari800XL

If you mean I shouldn't have touched XDEL in the first place, you're probably right.

Naaah, not at all :), just showing you another "classical" destructive tool.

(*) On my test PC, I sometimes use "destuctive" tools on purpose, just to see what happens. That's why it's a test machine.

Yep :thumbup:

Life is "trying things to see if they work".

jaclaz

Good you had backups.

For me XDEL works as assumed without parameter it shows the help screen.

Using /? is also logical, but your right it's unexpected.

cheers.gif

Edited by JFX

For me XDEL works as assumed without parameter it shows the help screen.
If I understand you correctly:

When you type:

XDEL

(without parameters) you get a help screen? Hmmmm, maybe I should try again, but I'm almost positive it started deleting immediately. Maybe I tested a different version? I downloaded the version from the link given by "click-click"...

Thanks for that, JFX.

So it turns out that just typing "XDEL" is not supposed to start deleting right away. Good... As I said before, that would be really strange...

Now I'm sure about the first "XDEL /?" I typed (which deleted the 1-letter files), but now I'm starting to wonder what the second command was. I think it was "XDEL" without parameters, but I'm not 100% sure. It certainly was *not* "XDEL E:". Still, it wiped out my E: drive. It could have been "XDEL /" (single slash), which would have been produced by "cursor up" and a backspace. In that case, it was a stupid mistake and a freakish coincidence.

Thanks again!!!!

Just did a quick test with the new Windows 8 release preview. Got a "0x000007f" error about 5% into "applying image" ("winimage.exe"). After that, WinNTSetup reported "failed to applying the Systemimage! Error -1073741818".

Thanks for the report. I have not loaded the release preview.

Either the install.wim is corrupted or the MS guys changed their WIM format again.

maybe alpha 4 can handle it: WinNTSetup2.3 alpha4

cheers.gif

Edited by JFX

I believe the .wim is not corrupted, because the setup completed OK when I did my first test from a "normal" USB stick (created by Rufus).

But I'll wait for others to test the setup of Windows 8 release preview, because my reputation in the last weeks is one of stupid mistakes...

[bTW: Thanks for Alpha 4! anything else you changed in that version?]

Edited by Atari800XL

I tried the release preview, works alright for me.

Alpha 4 has no other changes.

What version had this error the 2.2 or the 2.3 alpha ?