• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
JFX

WinNTSetup v3.8.6 / 3.8.7 Beta 3

1,519 posts in this topic

hi zomk777,

that interesting, someone else already report me that the "drive letter preassignment" option can assign 2 letter for a partition.

I could never reproduce this, but mountvol.exe should be able to removed the wrong drive letters. :unsure:

The assignment of the system drive letter always works well for me.

One think that maybe help finding the problem:

- after winntsetup finished load the the offline system hive and save the MountedDevices key:

reg load HKLM\SYS C:\Windows\system32\config 
reg export HKLM\SYS\MountedDevices C:\MountedDevices_before_Reboot.reg
reg unload HKLM\SYS

reboot and let installation continue, after new windows has booted to desktop

export the new MountedDevices key

reg export HKLM\System\MountedDevices C:\MountedDevices_after_Setup.reg

please send me both reg files

cheers.gif

Hi, thanks for your reply,but i am sorry that i had format my partition after i find the assignment error.so i can't give u my reg file :unsure:

But i used another inst tool and everything goes well (I choose both Inst & boot drive as C),It is also based on Fujianabc's NT6 Fast Installer,but Its interface is Chinese...

hope you can find its code and get something useful. :yes:

http://www.mediafire.com/?6of8xdbm9lmusfb

Well no problem.

this Win$Man is zhhsh new version, looks very good :thumbup

I guess the main difference is that this app and Fujianabc's NT6 Fast Installer read the MountedDevices of the current running system and I calculate them.

But this should be a more accurate solution, especially in WinPE 1.x, where MountedDevices is not very reliable.

Anyways, good there are alternatives that works :)

cheers.gif

Update: Version 2.0.4.71

- accept nativeVHD Boot for Embedded editions

- fixed wrong reported partition as active primary

- suppress boot configuration error on mounted Vmware/imdisk disk

- added Option to automatically reboot after setup finished

- added Command line switches

- /nt6, /nt5 or /vhd have to be the first parameter all other don't require any order

- does not matters if -paramter or /Parameter

- give paths can be relative (to WinNTSetup_x??.exe)

- if a path includes spaces enclose it with " "

- /nt6 or /nt5 - will let winntsetup know which os to install (nt6: for vista and later, nt5 for XP/2003)

- /source:(path) - defines the installation sources (for nt5 the root of the windows CD, for nt6 the install.wim file)

- /syspart:(driveletter:) - defines the driveletter you want as boot drive

- /tempdrive:(driveletter:) - defines the driveletter you want as installation drive

- /unattend:(file) - defines the path of the unattend file (winnt.sif or unattend.xml)

- /drivers:(path) - defines the path to a drivers folder you want to use

- /wimindex:n - defines the edition inside install.wim which should be installed beginning with 1 (like in the combo box Edition)

- /setupwait - will push the setup button and show you the proceed page

- /setup - will start the setup

- /reboot - will automaticly reboot 30 seconds after setup finished

- /forceunsigned - (only for installing Windows 7) will let the driver integration accept unsigned drives

- /testsigning - will set testsigning flag for the new Windows installation

- /disableuac - will disable User Account Control

- /Sysletter:{Letter} - will define the systemdrive letter the new windows installation will have

- /SaveDriveLetters - will save the current driveletter assaignment for the new windows installation

- /Uxtheme - will patch the uxtheme related dll's to enable the use of custom msstyles files

- /nobootsect - will not update BootSector and Master Boot Record

- /RunAfter:{command} - will run a command before reboot

- /cfg:{inifile} - load settings from ini file

- /HiveFix:{inffile] - use a special inf, to customize setup

- /vhd

- /create

- /VHDFile:{path} - defines the full path for the new VHD file

- /VHDSize:{size} - defines the size in MB or GB (ex. 25600MB or 25GB)

- /VHDType:{type} - defines the type of VHD: fixed, expandable or fixedfast

---- optional ----

- /VHDLabel:{Label} - label for the vhd partition

- /VHDAlig:{Alig} - Allignment (32|64|128|256|512|1024|2048) of the partition

- /VHDAllo:{Allo} - Allocation unit (512|1024|2048|4096|8192|16K|32K|64K) of the partition

- /mount - attach a VHD to system

/VHDFile:{path}

- /unmount - detach a VHD from system

/VHDFile:{path}

examples:

- Install Windows7 Ultimate (usually Wimindex 5) to drive C:, using unattend.xml file and define driver to integrate.

Use C: as driveletter for the new Win installation, run set_7_usb_boot.cmd before rebooting

WinNTSetup2_x86.exe -NT6 -source:G:\sources\install.wim -WimIndex:5 -syspart:C: -tempdrive:C: -unattend:"unattend\Win7x86_Ultimate_en.xml"
-ForceUnsigned -drivers:"D:\driver_Win7x86" -Sysletter:C -RunAfter:"set_7_usb_boot.cmd C:\windows" -setup -reboot

- Install Windows XP to drive D:, where boot drive is C:, using unattend file [app dir]\unattend\winnt.sif,

integrate drivers [app dir]\XP_drivers, finsih install and reboot. But does not change MBR and BPR

WinNTSetup2_x86.exe -NT5 -source:E:\XPCD -syspart:C: -tempdrive:D: -unattend:"unattend\winnt.sif" -drivers:"XP_drivers" -setup -reboot -nobootsect

- creating a 25GB fixed VHD file

WinNTSetup2_x86.exe -VHD -create -VHDFile:"C:\my.vhd" -VHDSize:25GB -VHDType:fixed

-attach vdisk "C:\my.vhd"

WinNTSetup2_x86.exe -VHD -unmount -VHDFile:"C:\my.vhd"

-detach vdisk "C:\my.vhd"

WinNTSetup2_x86.exe -VHD -mount -VHDFile:"C:\my.vhd"

feel free to ask or comment about commandline ;)

cheers.gif

:blink: I use it to install windows 7 from pe(XP based) and select both the boot drive and installation drive as C(first and primary partition of hdd)

:wacko: Then after installation finished,I go to "my computer" and I found my OS partition becomes the letter D ..... :wacko: and it's unchangeable ...

Thought about it, one reason that it use D: instead of the selected C: could be when the the installation drive is a removable drive.

Currently drive letter assignment only works for fixed disks.

Don't think this will be fixed soon, so If a direct installation of windows to usb is need it's better to use Fujianabc's NT6 Fast Installer.

cheers.gif

Hi, sorry for my english but i've got some problem when i try to install windows vista

i've got this message :

winntsetup.png

maybe it's because it is a french install disk but how can i correct this message ?

I'm using a winPE 1.0 disk for do the job (Gena Winbuild)

it's working perfectly for win XP

thanks in advance

Hi Killerdog,

is your Windows Vista a original or modified Windows source (maybe a integrated lanaguage pack)?

The bootstr.dll.mui file is a resource only file, so there should not be a problem, installing Vista x64 from a x86 Winpe.

Maybe the file C:\Windows\System32\fr-FR\bootstr.dll.mui got corrupted during copy. :unsure:

cheers.gif

Hi,

my vista wim is a AIO version i made from both x86 and x64 disk

i've got the same problem with Seven, and it's an original dvd (both x86 and x64).

i have the same problem with nt6.x fast installer.

i've see this post on reboot pro. but i can't find what i need to do exactely.

temporaly i use the method of Steve6375 on the RMPrepUSB website, but unfortunatly it's work with seven, but with vista it can't find the "Sources/INSTALL.WIM" file (i think it don't load firadisk correctly).

so for now i've got a working solution, but very dirty.

install seven thru steve6375 method; install xp with WinNTSetup v2 (thru a winpe iso); install vista directly from my external hard disk (direct copy of all the directory to the root partition and add a BCD entry to launch the setup.

it's very dirty and i'm not happy with this.

i need some help.

Thanks

Edited by Killerdog

thanks, i'll test it and see if it's correct my problem

hi,

i test the new version of gena, but it don't solve my problem.

i've got a message that want to install in my external disk M: (where i launch gena with syslinux) when i select the internal disk C: .

i've already have this message in the past and don't know why.

hi,

I have problem to reproduce this error, so far with the new GENA release i tested a lot combination and all work well :unsure:

The link you gave, describe overwriting bootstr.dll.mui with one of the Win7 beta files. I can figure that it will be a solution nor that it would be good since you use Vista.

the good thing so far: the error message(s) are not critical and should not cause a problem for booting the new Windows installation.

Have not much time currently, but will continue trying to find a solution.

Maybe you can try to describe how you create/boot your GENA. Made special GENA support topic --> WinNTSetup2 script

cheers.gif

Edited by JFX

Hi JFX,

Thank you for your great work.

Is there a way of installing Windows with your tool without extracting the iso? Could it be possible for your program to access directly isos?

Hi Drake,

a direct use of an ISO would not be possible, but you could mount it with imdisk. That's the way I do it.

create a sub folder ISO and put imdiskinst.exe and your ISO inside.

create a batch file next to winntsetup similar like this:

@echo off

set ISO="ISO\de_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_677306.iso"

ISO\imdiskinst -y
imdisk -a

for /f "TOKENS=3,4 SKIP=1 DELIMS=: " %%i in ('imdisk -a -m #: -f %ISO%') do (
set Imdisk_device=%%i
set Imdisk_letter=%%j
)

echo Imdisk Device Number: %Imdisk_device%
echo Imdisk Device Drive : %Imdisk_letter%:

WinNTSetup2_x64.exe -NT6 -Source:%Imdisk_letter%:\sources\install.wim

rem optional unmount and imdisk uninstall

rem imdisk -D -u %Imdisk_device%
rem rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultUninstall 132 %windir%\INF\imdisk.inf

@Killerdog

sorry for keeping your waiting so long, next version will completely solve that issue with XP Based PE.

cheers.gif

Edited by JFX

at first, i'm sorry for my bad English. I'm trying to improve it.

i got a problem with your tool when i used it to setup my own windows xp ( i built it by RVMi with 3 addons: XPSP3_QFE_UpdatePack for Windows XP Post-SP3, OnePiece Windows Media Player 11 True AddOn v2.5.0 ENU and OnePiece IE8 WinXPSP3 v2.8.0 AddOn ENU, and i created a winnt.sif (attached file)

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=1,7,8,9,14

SystemLocale="0409"

UserLocale="042a"

UserLocale_DefaultUser="042a"

InputLocale="0409:00000409"

InputLocale_DefaultUser="0409:00000409"

Language Group I choosed is: US, Vietnamese, Japanese, Chinese, Korean.

And all problem i had is:

1. At blue screen stage ( i don't know what its name ), when copying, it misses some file: ie4uinit.mui.... about 4 or 5 files. I have esc to skip

2. At next stage ( i think it is gui stage ), it misses all of font file i need for the Languege Group and some file i don't know.

But when I run setup.exe (winnt32.exe) directly from Setup folder, the installation work normally.

can anyone help me?

WINNT.SIF

Hi dlinh9, Welcome here :)

1. problem is caused by the IE8 AddOn, nlite Addon Packs are not supported.

It would require a complete parsing of dosnet.inf, txtsetup.sif layout.inf, ... , like the original winnt32.exe does.

2. Problem occurs because Winntsetup does not copy the \I386\LANG folder from the Windows source

I will adjust next version to copy LANG folder, if LanguageGroup has multiple selections

cheers.gif

Edited by JFX

I will adjust next version to copy LANG folder, if LanguageGroup has multiple selections

Hi JFX,

I hope you also syncronise changes with WinNTSetup v1 :angel

Sure because maintaining one version is not enough work :blink:

You know I know......,

and you know (can easly guess) why I asked ;)...

Besides not critical, I will follow what you decide :thumbup

I've just found a manual solution instead :D. I found that in ref.chm

H:\i386\winnt32 /syspart:c: /tempdrive:c: /makelocalsource /copysource:lang /unattend

But windows doesn't reboot automatically.

What can I do if I want computer reboot after source copying finish as your tool does.

Did I miss some code?

Edited by dlinh9

I think you need to tell it where the setup answer file (winnt.sif) is located.

H:\i386\winnt32 /syspart:c: /tempdrive:c: /makelocalsource /copysource:lang /unattend:"D:\winnt.sif"

will release next version in a few days, that will copy lang folder if necessary.

cheers.gif

Edited by JFX

Update: Version 2.1.0.0

• - Support for Windows 8 Pre Release
  • - GUI upscale on higher Windows DPI settings
  • - Now automatically finds Vista/7 "system reserved" boot partition
  • - filesize and speed improvment
  • - file patching no longer changes NTFS ACL attributes (Thanks Jeff Bush - bcopy tool)
  • - added support for splitted WIM files (.swm)
  • - added support for direct USB install for Windows 7 (Thanks cdob, wimb, maanu)
  • - added more manufactors for XP CD OEM detection
  • - fixed bootstr.dll error message on certain WinPE1.x
  • - fixed small issue with reboot option
  • - fixed small issue with command line
  • - fixed shutdown option not works correclty on certain winpe version
  • - fixed app crash when running under Windows 8 Pre-Release
  • - fixed wrong warning on too low disk space
  • - fixed Service Pack not displayed for Vista sources
  • - fixed copy LANG folder if multiple selections are used for LanguageGroup in winnt.sif
  • - Improved VHD creation:
  • - fixed .vhd file extention was not auto appended for VHD creation
  • - fixed VHD creation output on unicode languages
  • - fixed WIM file discription not displayed correctly on some selfmade install.wim files
  • - fixed VHD creation possible even in forensic WinPE

:now use diskpart script like this one:

create vdisk file="C:\Windows7.vhd" maximum=25600 type=(fixed|expandable)
select vdisk file="C:\Windows7.vhd"
attach vdisk
online disk noerr
attributes disk clear readonly noerr
create partition primary align=(32|64|128|256|512|1024|2048)
online volume noerr
attributes volume clear readonly noerr
active
format quick fs=ntfs label="Win7 VHD" uint=(512|1024|2048|4096|8192|16K|32K|64K)
assign letter=X:

cheers.gif

Edited by JFX

Thank you for all version Windows setup from HDD.

it's excellence if you make : from WinNTSetup, we simple browse to ISO setup windows XP or 7, 8 ... like en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x86_dvd_619077.iso). Do you attend to make this for Windows 8 beta (release at 30 september 2011)

Edited by meigyoku

Hi, sorry for late respond.

Yes the Windows 8 Pre-Beta is supported by the current release.

Will add ISO file browsing, that's running user defined batch file and scan for new drives ...

cheers.gif

Edited by JFX

Thank, but I do not understand somes problem:

A. After finish install, log in Windows XP, remain OEM folder contain Driver pack. Why do not you make automatic delete OEM folder after log in Windows XP successful?

B. I made follow steps:

1. Use nlite make Windows XP setup.iso (tried to run Windows XP setup.iso to setup Windows, successfully )

2. On Vmware 8.0, I use Winnt setup 2.1 made setup into Hard disk C:

3. Use Norton Ghost to make image.GHO of C hard disk

4. But recover Image.GHO on really computer, can not boot with message: disk error (I think Winnt setup do not support Vmware disk, Am I correct?)

C. I made follow steps:

1. Use nlite make Windows XP setup.iso (tried to run Windows XP setup.iso to setup Windows, successfully )

2. Do not use Vmware, use Winnt setup 2.1 made setup into Hard disk C (actived, primary) (MBR, NTLDR, BOOT FLAG are green colour)

3. Use Norton Ghost to make image.GHO of C hard disk in Computer 1

4. But recover Image.GHO on other computer, computer can not log in with black screen in CMOS (do not appear some words, only blank screen)

5. I tried recover Image.GHO on Computer 1, it's successfully

Please help me solve A, B, C problem, thank you so much! Sorry for my bad English.

Edited by meigyoku

hmm, i wouldn't call "A" a problem, it's just that I prefer keeping the folder. Deleting it manually should not be that much of a problem

I guess B and C are the same problem:

Have not used Norton Ghost for ages, maybe it does not cause the problem.

anyway if you want to make an image of "Pre" - setup phase, that should run on different hardware make sure you have necessary SATA drivers in setup.

Also do NOT use, the 2 options: "Mount installation drive as ..." and "use migrate.inf for drive lettter pre assignment". Both saving disk/partition infos that will cause trouble if use on different hardware.

cheers.gif

Edited by JFX