WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

Can not reproduce with Ghost 11.5, but you right with PhotoShop 5.5.

Pagefile on RAMDisk makes no sense, as pagefile is only used if physical RAM is on its limit.

See You

Edited by JFX

Ghost 11.5 cause such a warning by explorer taskbar when taking/restoring images,

tested on Gena , well better say: using and experiencing for years now....

The Sense part of "Pagefile on RAMDisk" to me is:

whatever windows use pagefile for, better not to speed down,

with the idea in mind "computer tasks always work with lowest step speed"

(same with Chemical Reactions, Chemistry 1-2 - http://chemistry.about.com/od/stoichiometry/a/reactionrate.htm )

Generally,

Read speed of hd is quite high these days, no need to :> , will not be noticable for most,

For tests:

You can only notice when you read and write on hd for a task (use different hd for tests ;))

ex: put 500 MB file to ramdisk, create an iso on hd ;) (I use this trick time to time for many years now, but time to time due to low ram I have :angel )

on other hand,

using files individually (one by one etc.) you will notice no difference --> (this seems to me more pagefile case, but who knows...)

Okey , okey not "very" sensefull :lol: , but would "clear" one factor from my mind

ps: with moreee ram, I can also use temp/cache folders on ramdisk, for same reason..... I feel browsers nowadays "may" work better, never tested....

Anyway, all these stuff quite out of topic now,

See you

So Alacran hasn't replied on the $oem$ file yet, maybe he found out that a custom $oem$ dir is already supported?

I just wanted to come back to my testing of the new commandline switches (DisableSystemRestore, DisableSFC, DisableHibernate).

I did a quick test on installing Windows 8, first time without the switches, second time with the new switches. As expected (as JFX mentioned), after the second test there's about 400mb more free space on C:\. (thanks to DisableSFC). So that's a good thing, and I'll keep using it for the time being.

I also expected a little decrease in Setup time, but that was not the case, I wonder why?

Thanks JFX, for making WinNTSetup better once more....

Edited by Atari800XL

I also expected a little decrease in Setup time, but that was not the case, I wonder why?

Hmm, the entire T-9 til T-3 time phase of GUIMode setup should be skipped.

This should save ~ 3 minutes.

Well, another stupidity on my part then. Luckily, it's not the first time. Very sorry to waste your time.

I'm a bit confused now, because I used 3 commandline options on Windows 8 (DisableSystemRestore, DisableSFC, DisableHibernate), and have 400mb more free space on C:

Now if DisableSFC has no effect on Win8, it must be one of the other 2.

Another thing that added to my confusion is that the "-DisableSFC" commandline option caused on error (using with Windows 8) on the second-to-last version (which you corrected the same day). That's why I thought it *did* have an effect under Win8.

But all is well, I'm looking forward to testing -DisableSFC on Windows XP.

Edited by Atari800XL

OK, I've done my XP test, first a normal setup on my testnotebook with WinNTSetup, then a second test with -disablesfc, -disablesystemrestore, -disablehibernate.

With the second test, I confirmed that the commandline options were also checked in the "Tweaks" screen.

I timed all the stages by hand (t-39, t-13, etc). I was expecting (as JFX said) stages t-9 through t-3 to be skipped (because of -disablesfc), saving me 1m40s of setup times (as the first test showed).

But, completely unexpected, all the stages took exactly as long on test 2, as they did on test 1. So in some way, disablesfc was not correctly applied. Now I'm sure it must be something *I* did (maybe a conflicting setting in Winnt.sif, even though I can't find anything).

Nevertheless, this test has shown me that the sfc stage only took 1m40s on this particular system, and that's still worth the test.

Hi, JFX

The storage of the last file location does not function. for example: I have 01.sif and 02.sif. If 01.sif is already given as the parameter qualifier, the choice of 02.sif is to begin from scratch, and not from the folder where all *.sif are stored

Edited by Scampy82

When using WinNTSetup on computer with UEFI firmware for Install of Windows 8 NL on USB partition,

then I found may be some bugs.

A default boot entry for Windows 8 was made in EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD (which is good),

but for my existing {default} entry Grub4dos in Boot\BCD the description was modified to Windows 8 (which is wrong).

Also my Windows 8 Source DVD was identified as da-DK whereas I have NL version.

Edited by wimb

@Scampy82

Sorry, i forgot about command line option here, will fix it in next version.

@Wimb

the language issue is strange, it only display what's between <LANGUAGE> and </LANGUAGE> inside the wim XML description.

The uEFI part is really a bit buggy, it actually should process both BCD stores equal but currently don't.

Hmm, still have no EFI Board here, 1 thing I wonder about.

A uEFI bootable hard disk have to be formated as GPT so it actually can't boot on an old bios PC.

Does this mean BIOS sees the disk as MBR and use the protected MBR in the 0 sector?

Then how does the booted OS see it?

cheers.gif

Edited by JFX

Actually using computer with UEFI firmware then I can Install Windows 8 on normal USB-harddisk having MBR and three primary partitions.

The first Boot partition E: is FAT32 (Win8 Format Tool) and contains only the EFI folder and the second partition M: is NTFS and filled by using WinNTSetup.

The Win 8 Setup ISO is for a LanguageGroup where nl-NL to belongs but WinNTSetup sees it as da-DK.

I used manually Win 8 tools bootsect.exe to reset MBR and FAT32 PBR according to Win8 and bcdboot.exe to create the EFI folder on FAT32 partition.

bootsect.exe /nt60 E: /force /mbr

bcdboot.exe M:\Windows /l nl-NL /s E: /f UEFI

And that works for me.

In what xml file is the Language info ? I cannot find such file. May be that is why da-DK is used ....

After Install of Win 8 then with Win8 tool I add Boot\BCD and made entry for booting Windows 8 from USB on BIOS computer

and I added Grub4dos entry in Boot\BCD for booting Image files

Now I can boot from USB-harddisk on BIOS and on UEFI computers with Win8 (flat)

and with Grub4dos using all kind of Image files (Linux + LiveXP + 7PE + Portable XP or Portable Win7)

Grub4dos booting Image files on UEFI computer is only possible after switching in UEFI the Advanced OS setting from Win8 to Win7 / Other

For booting Windows 8 then the UEFI Advanced OS setting Win8 is used.

Edited by wimb

Interesting, I never got VmWare in EFI mode to boot from MBR disk.

Seems there is no real way to detect, if a pc have an uEFI BIOS. The only thing one can detect is with which one it was currently booted.

In what xml file is the Language info ? I cannot find such file. May be that is why da-DK is used ....

The XML is inside the metadata of a *.wim file.

You can display it with imagex.exe.

imagex -info "wimfile"