WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

I just have to remember to choose "Reboot" after Windows 8 is done installing (not "Turn Off", that makes XP and Windows 7 go into "checkdisk").

Interesting, did not know that there were a difference of reboot and shutdown.

Oh, and it would be great to have a commandline option for turning off hiberboot please!!!!!

Okay, which one do you prefer?

/disablefastboot

/disablehiberboot

/disablehybridboot

Well, if I do a W8 install, and choose "Shut down" by accident, I'm *always* in trouble. With "Reboot" I'm usually OK. Sometimes though, I don't remember exactly which one I chose... GrubInstgui also gives me a hard time when I chose "Shutdown" (invalid partition table). So once again, it would be great to have it turned off right from the start.

Whichever commandline you choose is OK by me!! I'm spoiled enough already!!!

I know adding more commandline options can't go on forever, but it would be great if the "No Windows 8 animation during setup" could also be done. Something like -win8noanimation

I tested it in autounattend.xml (I just added it manually, without adk or something), and it doesn't always work (looks like it works in Enterprise, but not in Pro). It's probably my own fault, but I don't have all the knowledge to figure it out.

So maybe you can consider it, but if not, no problem...

As I said before, I always use WinNTSetup with commandline options, so I can call it from WinPE_SE with a (autohotkey) hotkey (ctrl-sh-x=xp, ctrl-sh-7=windows 7, ctrl-sh-8=windows 8], then all I have to do to start the setup is press Enter twice.

(of course another script is setting up the mounted isos etc).

It's just such a wonderful tool!!!!!

[EDIT: Removed the Offtopic W8Pro bit]

Edited by Atari800XL

Yeah, i also noticed that the win 8 animation tweak sometimes not works.

But thing i have found a solution with group policy for it.

About off-topic, you know I have no problem with, but make sure you don't cross the forum rules ...

Yep, sorry about that, sometimes I get a bit excited about this stuff...

OK, so you noticed the InstallAnimation glitch as well. I haven't looked into that much recently, but if you say you already have a solution for it, that would be great. Do you agree that the tweak works on W8Enterprise, and not on Pro? I haven't tested enough to be sure about that, though...

Thanks!! :thumbup

Do you agree that the tweak works on W8Enterprise, and not on Pro? I haven't tested enough to be sure about that, though...

Hmm, that could explain it, on the first few tests I used the 90 days Enterprise trail and it worked flawless. Currently I always use Pro and I mostly don't work.

Update: Version 2.3.2.0

- using native ISO driver on Windows 8

- ISO files can be passed as -source: parameter

- new cmdline option: -DisableHiberBoot

- new cmdline option: -win8noanimation

- multiboot options automatically disable Hiberboot of Win 8 and set bootmenupolicy to legacy

- fixed more custom language issues

cheers.gif

Edited by JFX

I just made a new ISO with 2 images combined into one .wim: (1) Windows 8 Pro WMC (for use with a [free] Microsoft Upgrade key) and (2) Windows 8 Enterprise (for use with KMS activation).

And of course, just today JFX is releasing a wonderful new update to WinNTSetup, so this gave me the perfect chance to test everything in one go. My results:

- The -nohiberboot and -win8noanimation commandline options work perfectly. So this means for both Pro and Enterprise, the childish animation is gone. THANKS!!! (My previous solution only seemed to work for Enterprise).

- One question: When using the commandline options mentioned, shouldn't the checkboxes in "Tweaks" be selected? (is there a checkbox for Hiberboot?, can't remember).

- Nohiberboot means in multiboot systems, there's no annoying checkdisk problems. I used to set this in Postinstall, but having the option right here in WinNTSetup means we're safe right from the start of Setup. This is also a wonderful addition. THANKS!!!!

I'm also very proud of my 2-in-1 iso, but I'm sure for all you pro's here, that's just a piece of cake. It turned out I only needed 1 simple (though lengthy) DISM command. Oh well, I just think it's a lot of fun to learn new stuff like this.

JFX, you're the best! :yes::thumbup:yes:

Edited by Atari800XL

Thanks for the confirmation of the 2 tweaks :)

You right about the check box for w8animation, it has currently no effect if the cmdline option is passed.

For Hiberboot I don't plan a GUI option, as most people would properly misunderstand that danger/feature.

cheers.gif

Edited by JFX

Hi AQM,

that interesting, Lancelot also reported me such a boot problem and I always thought it would be BIOS related.

But if you say that NT6 bootcode / loader works, than there is some hope to fix it.

Just the problem, I've nothing to reproduce it. Do you have anymore informations like:

- partition alignment

- partition starting offset (maybe above 160 GB ?)

- does real xp setup work in this partition

cheers.gif

jfx i have tested this on already installed os's through usb install i used (rufus).

bootmanager of vista 7 shows lineup as xp vista 7 8 already installed with that i have formatted the xp partition because its corrupt.

because bootmanager vista 7 8 exists in boot partition the windows setup entry adds in the boot manager lineup if we use the xp or vista or 7 or 8 setup through winnt setup.

that what i have tested to work successfully with vista 7 8 setup with no issues.

only problem with xp setup through winnt setup which when we format or use a fresh hdd it stucks on after bios post where it must show

windows xp boot screen with blue three suqare dots bar which it doesn't.

strange to see that only through usb setup or through cd setup it works but how to install without cd or usb setup

i mean how to install through internal hd to same internal hd whether laptop or desktop thats the problem.

-partition alignment

what is that i never align the partition always made separate ones one for boot primary boot files of all os's others are logical partitions where the os's are installed.

- partition starting offset (maybe above 160 GB ?)

i have 40 gb partitions for all os from xp to 8

using easy bcd i have all the entries of all os's like xp vista 7 or 8 but when we format the xp partition and and try to install xp again we get error at first reboot after dos txt mode phase completes.

this happens with all methods whether we use winnt setup or usb install or cd install.

error is

ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file"

i was stuck with that error tried spotmau bootsuite or wondershares liveboot

they fix vista 7 bootloaders and mbr but they dont fix xp error like this one although the program says it fix these and other xp boot file issues.

what it does it rewrites the missing file again ntoskrnl.exe, hal.exe, ntldr file,

then i thought that through another vista installed hdd will do this problem fix in few minutes.

what it does it automatically finds the xp partition and add entry to vista 7 bootmanager but in formatting xp logical partition it doesn't because it couldn't find xp installation.

because xp setup sets up or completes dos txt phase only.

easybcd only add xp entry when it finds os installations manual entry add is possible but i dont know how to configure.

is there a way that winnt setup fix boot.ini appropriately after fresh install of xp to xp formatted partition i mean it refix the boot ini in boot partition when it sets up the installation on hdd through winnt setup.

i mean without running xp cd or usb in recovery console mode and running the bootcfg /rebuild command

so i formatted boot partition and xp partition only and used 7 pe usb to boot and then run the imdisk and winnt setup to run setup xp through that

and the problem after post arises that cursor is blinking on black screen and no further going.

through usb and cd setup install it works but i need this awesome tool which

installs xp faster than cd and little bit faster than usb.

when i used my custom made xp from nlite converted xp pro to media centre edition the method to install xp through winnt setup ask for paths in gui mode

there i have extract the iso contents to a folder and navigate the path whenever its asks for the file it couldn't find.

in the end two addons when the xp installs and asks for account name and settings completes

it couldnt find the two addon files path and wont allow to locate or browse towards the iso complete extract area to manually locate the addon files

it never happpens with sp3 orginal iso msdn version but it happens with this one.

i know that winnt setup is the only way to install xp through hdd without having large usb or dvd writer

u know preparing again and again iso on monthly update bases

is wasting space on hdd usb and cds dvds.

through winnt setup u just have keep the iso or setup files on hdd without the hassle of size and waste of time on preparing usb setup install and cd dvd burning.

please fix the boot issue after winnt setup sets up xp setup on hdd and ask for reboot to start dos txt setup and so on.

regards

AQM

Edited by AQM

hmm now I'm more confused then i already was :blink:

can you send me 2 files after winntsetup has run?

\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT

\$WIN_NT$.~LS\$OEM$\WinNTSetup.log

BTW: Can you use a XP PE like BartPE or Gena and try from there. But important format the boot partition inside this PE.

BTW: Can you use a XP PE like BartPE or Gena and try from there. But important format the boot partition inside this PE.

Dear i have installed through usb method and formatted the xp logical partition where these files were ill try to make again and distribute my system config for you as you know formatting xp partition and boot one

will not install and i have to use another hdd or pc to fix my hdd and rebuild boot files through easy bcd.

i have tested this xp setup on vista 7 bootloader through that it add xp's windows setup entry and selecting this entry runs xp setup

but because of formatting xp partition not the boot partition it stucks at after dos txt mode phase completes then gives error of

ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file"

i have tried spotmau and wondershare iso on usb tried to fix this error

they are capable of fixing this issue they cant fix it

bootmanager of vista 7 fixes through that only formatting the boot partition and then installing xp through

usb or cd and after successful install i use easybcd on vista 7 to rebuild boot files of vista and 7

and adds xp entry it automatically find correct partition fix the xp boot issue.

but this procedure requires another hdd with vista installed on it or another pc with vista to rebuild boot files of vista and 7.

it never happens when we not format the xp partition and delete the contents of xp partition but

i found strange hidden space usage in xp partition which cant be cleared through any cleanup utilities and

that space cant be shown by any partition program the only way found a way to tackle that hidden space usage was

to format xp partition and made two partition .5 gb or 556mb partition for boot primary and 40 gb for others logical partitions.

jfx where can i find bart pe or gena ill try google and one more thing is necessary to use xp pe or gena 7 pe is used is far better than these i guess

Files.7z

ok tested in bart pe xp from usb but the same problem of cursor blinking after bios post both files are files.7z the website is not allowing .dat or .log to upload so i made a 7zip fileFiles.7z