WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

Thanks everybody for your help with the "Black Magic USB Ports". I now accept that (older?) boards can be completely unpredictable when it comes to hi-speed USB boots. For these cases, I'll keep a CDR handy... At least now I know I'm not the only one with this problem, and my house is not haunted.

Now off to my next test: a little addition to Windows 8 autounattend.xml, to prevent the stupid animation at the end of setup. If it works I'll let you know.

OK, the test worked. For anybody interested: Add this part to your autounattend.xml to get rid of the animation at the end of setup:

[i believe animations like this have no place in an UNATTENDED setup!! Who's there to watch it then, anyway? -_- ]

<settings pass="specialize">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Deployment" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<RunSynchronous>
<RunSynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
<Order>1
</Order>
<Path>reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v EnableFirstLogonAnimation /d 0 /t REG_DWORD /f
</Path>
</RunSynchronousCommand>
</RunSynchronous>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Deployment" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<RunSynchronous>
<RunSynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
<Order>1
</Order>
<Path>reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v EnableFirstLogonAnimation /d 0 /t REG_DWORD /f
</Path>
</RunSynchronousCommand>
</RunSynchronous>
</component>
</settings>

OK, one last test I squeezed in before the weekend's over:

I used WinNTSetup to install Windows 8 to a system that needs an "external" driver (display). I already tested the driver before "by hand" on this system, but I wanted to test if WinNTSetup could add it at setup time (like I used countless times before with XP and W7). I never had to use an extra driver for Windows 8 up to now.

So I mounted the drivers.iso as drive "L:", started WinNTSetup (from WinPESE), checked the "drivers" box and selected drive "L:"

After two tests, the drivers is not installed. After the W8 setup completes, I install the driver "by hand" (from the same ISO) without problems.

My questions:

(1) Is adding drivers for W8 the same as with XP? ie. copying the drivers to c:\DRV? If so, I can see right before the reset that there's no c:\DRV.

(2) Is it a bug?

(1) Is adding drivers for W8 the same as with XP? ie. copying the drivers to c:\DRV? If so, I can see right before the reset that there's no c:\DRV.

(2) Is it a bug?

No adding drivers for Win7 and later makes use of dism /add-driver ... and for XP files are copyied to C:\DRV and all sub dirs of it are added to registry.

If correctly added to driver store by dism your display driver should be installed during setup.

Winntsetup.log is created in the new Windows dir. It should log if a driver is added or if an error occured.

cheers.gif

Edited by JFX

Thanks, there's a line in the log reading:

"Integrate drivers using DISM from L:\"

So then I guess it must have something to do with the fact that Windows 8 uses the standard "Windows driver" for my board (1024*768max with the standard driver) which it finds by default, instead of the better driver I added with higher resolutions. I think I must force Windows 8 somehow to use the new driver instead of the standard one. Something new for me to learn once again...

Edited by Atari800XL

hmm, there should be success or failed message for every *.inf file found in L:\ and it's subfolders.

like this:

Integrate Drivers using DISM from: L:\drv_test

1.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.

2.inf: Error - An error occurred. The driver package could not be installed.

EDIT: Okay there is a bug, the trailing \ cause the trouble

Edited by JFX

Part of the log (note the *two* empty lines)

Start applying WIM
Applying WIM finished successfully
Applying took: 03:43

Integrate Drivers using DISM from: L:\

using user defined unattend.xml: q:\winntsetup\autounattend_w8.xml

loading offline registry: C:\Windows\System32\config

It's a Windows 7 driver, don't know if that's of any influence. But as I said, it works perfectly as a "manual" install.

Weird...?

[EDIT: Okay, I read *your* edit about the trailing backslash]

Edited by Atari800XL

error occurs when creat VHD,win8 enterprise x64.

That's too much informations. ;)

The VHD creation is just a wrapper for windows' diskpart.exe.

Anyway there should be some error printed in the black window.

Also WinNTSetup should give back the error code and it's description.

error occurs when creat VHD,win8 enterprise x64.

That's too much informations. ;)

The VHD creation is just a wrapper for windows' diskpart.exe.

Anyway there should be some error printed in the black window.

Also WinNTSetup should give back the error code and it's description.

Sorry,my OS is win8 enterprise x64 Chinese (Simplified).

when creat VHD ,this error pop-up.

post-362530-0-72491100-1348666130_thumb.

If I switch display language to english(I install english language pack just now for creating a bug report in english :D ), But creat VHD ok,no error. :o

so,the bug report is still in chinese. :wub:

Edited by adef

Thanks,

it seem this only occurs with some unicode languages. It's properly a bug in the text formating.

I'll download the 90 days win8 ZH-CN trail version and take a look at it.

cheers.gif

Edited by JFX