WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

There is a lot of code changes in the beta. Next one will have a change log.

Well UUP should work now. You can add a UUP.txt in the same folder as the esd files than you don't need to use cmdline.

Didn't succeed is bit vague. WinNTSetup's -ref parameter is similar to the one of imagex/wimlib or dism's /SWMFile switch.

Anyway just add an empty file called uup.txt, if it exist you don't need the command line.
Beta2 is out and fixes another issue with these ESD files.

BTW: you have to convert the cab files yourself first to esd.

Edited by JFX

Sorry to be vague.

I have now downloaded the new beta, and have put both "uup.txt" and "upp.txt" in the folder, just to be sure. Apply seems to work now, so things are looking good. Please confirm again: you do mean "uup.txt", right?

Have to run now, but will test more later. Thanks again for the new stuff...

Edited by Atari800XL

EDIT: Expected wimgapi for a while, but that also doesn't seem to be it.

Now it seems I have narrowed it down to either the reg tweaks or the unattend.xml. Suspect the first, but am still trying (I will continue this tomorrow).

Edited by Atari800XL

OK, instead of continuous editing of posts, this one warrants a new one:

SUCCESS! The problem seems to be in the reg tweaks. Now, I'm quitting testing for today, but I will continue tomorrow, because I still need to distinguish between "built-in" WinNTSetup tweaks (you can see which ones I use in the command line example a few posts back) or the ones I add via the extra reg tweaks folder (driversearch and network discover windows off).

In my wimlib uup esd apply tests I did last week, I used the same tweaks, but I used the "old fashioned" reg method (everything working fine). I know you use a different method (offline reg, can't remember exactly). Now, maybe there's some incompatibilities there?

Oh well, I'm off for today, but I'm glad I'm getting closer step by step...

Edited by Atari800XL

Thanks for "hanging in there" with me, JFX, it gave me the push to investigate further.

Now I have to admit it turned out to be my own fault after all. I apologize for bothering you, it turned out one of the reg tweaks was -not- the same as the ones I successfully tested before (you can guess what the problem was, I'm sure, but I'm too ashamed to admit).

Once again sorry for this, and thanks again for helping to narrow it down.

Result for now is: WinNTSetup fully supports UUP, so one of these days the "rtm" will become available on the Microsoft updates servers, downloading the files is super easy with MKuba's UUP dump, so anyone can download this "shiny" (turd) OS as soon as it is released to Insiders, and apply it in a heartbeat with WinNTSetup! No need for converting to wim or iso (at least not for testing, same goes for upcoming rs4 previews, of course).

Cool stuff...

Edited by Atari800XL

I assume one of the tweaks had a key starting with [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet]
instead of [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001].

With Beta3 it's supported again, as it really will cause a BSoD.