WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

Only the MinWin function of the WinSxS.ini configuration file seems to get stuck in the circle interface and report an error when dealing with 17763 and earlier kernel versions (such as 17134). Should I change the project of Setup=0 in WinSxS.ini to Setup=1? Or are there other better solutions?
I remember when I was dealing with WinSxS a long time ago, I called the NSudo tool to delete WinSxS when I entered the desktop. It takes a lot of time to study the folder items that need to be retained, so I especially admire JFX for making such an excellent solution. Thank you very much, JFX!

No, Setup=1 just means the filter is only used for sources that are still setup mode (SystemSetupInProgress=1).

With some luck you can get the missing file logged somewhere in \Windows\Panther.

Oh, wanted to improve that error message for years.

You have a WinPE selected as source, that's not supported and doesn't make sense.
Use bootice to create a boot entry for the WIM file.

Edited by JFX

Do you happen to know the bcdedit commands needed to do this? I'm unsure how to add a PE wim file so it will boot. I have a partition for booting different vhds. Do I update the bcd from there to add the wim?

Edit: OK, got it to work. I was missing the boot.sdi.

BCDWinPE.jpg.3724d944116016366daf93cc5062d0b3.jpg 

Edited by click-click

My dear Jfx, I have just checked with reboot.pro, and ... after so many problems with the website software update, they seem to wanna "start the ball rolling back again". the only thing of it is they want some contribution on our part, which can amount to just €10 per head, if there are as many of us as are needed to cover the expense. the greater our number, the lesser our contribution. since we have worked on wimbooting for years, we would like to still have your sense for synthesis and poignancy which has stood us in good stead for so long. As I and a few others are of the opinion that minwinning is not just a curiosity, but it can also be used for ordinary activity, it would be wonderful to join our knowledge and experience for keeping vhd's so small and still self-sufficient. To do so, I suggest that we should keep a neat modular linux-like database listing which services and dlls are needed for which various apps to still work in our minwinned vhd's.

Considering my windows-reducing efforts so far, I started a decade ago with a vision from a discovery of file and folder junctions, trying to limit vhd content to just the files and folders needed to reach the desktop interface. all other files and folders I moved outside the vhd, junctioned it all back in and went on like this for years, until I discovered reboot.pro and met Wimb the Flying Dutchman. He briefed me into stopping junctioning files and folders out and back in again, as he had already envisaged a procedure called wimbooting, whereby the wim pointed to a vhd full of pointers that would guarantee the full funcioning of the system, pretty much the same as I was doing with junction, only a lot cleaner and more sensible.

Then the rest has seen us all engaged in trying to reduce vhd more and more until u have come up with your knowledgeable brute-force-assisted minwin that we use today. 

As I was saying earlier, I have never relinquished using minwinned vhd's ordinarily, customizing my system to my advantage and liking before reducing it. the reduction has not always been so spick&span, so to speak, and I had to see what was to be retained in order for my favorite software to keep working. I have also reused my junctions on those components that not every vhd user shares with me (net framework all installed and junctioned out and back into c:\, and the same goes for my nvidia driver which can stay out of the vhd with its 1.7gigs of stuff - no reason to keep it on c:\).

If we just could detect, single out and record what we have found out of services and dlls as to the functions typical of each of them, we could seriously think of using reduced vhd's to full capacity. Don't you think?

Edited by Antonino

MinWin and RAM booting Windows was a - just for fun - project for me.
I don't share your passion about it. So if you want to create a database, be the first one adding something to it.

For me, I only provide the tool and a basic example.