Enable Intel AHCI under already installed XP

bhishmar

The same named post is already in Sticky (#2), but closed for further posts. But I have a related question.

The importance of this topic (enabling AHCI under already installed XP) is somewhat minimal nowadays, after the arrival of new techniques (NLite/DriverPacks etc) to integrate new AHCI drivers directly into XP install-CD.

But my requirement is to change over my already installed system (WindowsXP-SP3 in DG33FB mother board with BIOS= Non-AHCI option) to AHCI mode.

Now I know that in Sticky Topic #2 (Post #251) by MDGx says: "starting with Intel Driver version 9.6.0.1014, everything is simple, & extra cumbersome steps detailed in initial posts by puntoMX are no more needed!!"

Sticky Topic #2 Post #251 by MDGx

Therefore starting with Intel Storage Manager Driver version 9.6.0.1014 all one needs to do is:

1. Reboot.

2. Enter BIOS setup & Change both settings below:

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode [AHCI]

SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode [Enabled]

Both these settings must be enabled *before* installing the driver in order for Intel setup to properly recognize AHCI/RAID hardware.

3. Reboot back to Windows.

4. Install current Intel Storage Manager Driver from here [11.2 MB, multilanguage].

This driver installs iastore.sys and enables AHCI/RAID modes if enabled hardware is detected at install time.

5. Reboot 1 last time.

Now I cannot understand the very first Step itself here (infact Steps 1 to 3 above), since if you do that you will get a BSOD.

i.e when you simply change the BIOS option to AHCI, & reboot a Windows-XP system, (as indicated in steps 1-3 above) it will result in BSOD.

This is not NEWS, & this exactly is the problem the above (sticky) thread started to solve initially by PuntoMX, & then finally this Final Post & closing of the sticky thread :wub: .

Can somebody show me some light here ...

2. Enter BIOS setup & Change both settings below:

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode [AHCI]

SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode [Enabled]

This require a appropiate chipset and BIOS, e.g. mentioned Gigabyte EP43-UD3L

However, not all BIOS support this.

This assumes, your windows disk is connected to SATA Port 0-3. SATA Port 0-3 are at IDE emulation still.

Addional SATA ports use AHCI mode.

Windows booting works, because it's booting a IDE disk still.

describes a work around at selected hardware.

In addition:

6) If you like Windows using AHCI mode at system disk:

reboot, goto BIOS SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode [Disabled], reboot

But my requirement is to change over my already installed system (WindowsXP-SP3 in DG33FB mother board with BIOS= Non-AHCI option) to AHCI mode.

BIOS dosn't support mixed mode IDE - AHCI.

Import registrry settings to running XP first and copy iastor.sys first.

Enable Intel AHCI under already installed XP : Hi cdob & jaclaz, thanks for your insight & help.

This require an appropriate chipset and BIOS, e.g. mentioned Gigabyte EP43-UD3L. However, not all BIOS support this.

This assumes, your windows disk is connected to SATA Port 0-3. SATA Port 0-3 are at IDE emulation still.

Addional SATA ports use AHCI mode. Windows booting works, because it's booting a IDE disk still.

This was the missing piece of information, I was looking for, & just learned from 'cdob'.

Now I could get the perspective of the earlier quoted post.

So my motheboard being DG33FB, donot support mixed mode AHCI/IDE-emul, So the method in the quoted post do not work me.

As I understand the summary of the above approach which could work for my MB, pointed out by jaclaz (in pcper.com forum) is:

1. Download the latest version of the Intel Rapid Storage Driver (iata_enu.exe, v10.1.0.1008),
  2. Copy the extracted driver file "IaStor.sys" to %systemroot%\System32\drivers\
  3. Generate registry import file: "AHCI.reg" (with ID= 2922, as in "iaAHCI.inf" approriate to specific I/O controller )
  4. Update Registry by running (merging) "AHCI.reg".
  5. Reboot system to enter BIOS-Setup, & Change the BIOS-SATA setting to AHCI-mode, Save and exit BIOS, & Boot to Windows.
  6. When Windows loads, "Found New Hardware (HDD)" wizard pops up.
    - Now Cancel this install-wizard & instead run the Intel driver installer. ("iata_enu.exe")
  7. Reboot the system again.

My specific questions to the experts here:

1. Can u confirm the correctness of above steps summary?
  2. If I do this, is there a chance that I will loose access to my standard IDE channels & hence to PATA DVD-ROM?
  3. In the Direct "Driver Injection" method, which of the above 1- 7 steps are substituted? (All or some are still reqd?)

PS: My mother board is DG33FB [ Intel G33 Express chipset with ICH9DH I/O controller]

ICH9DH is equivalent to ICH9R minus raid.

Just do it.

If booting fails, goto BIOS and set IDE mode again.

There is no harm.

Of course a backup is recommended, as always.

You don't have to use ID=2922, use a generic Intel AHCI HardwareID:

CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_8086&cc_0106

Approach did work at countless machines in the past.