16GB ISO Down to 3.5GB NTDETECT ERROR

H2HARRY

Hello,

A bit of back ground information on my project so far please see:

Issue I am having now is :

The .ISO image is 16GB big, and managed to optimise it down to 3.5gb which is good, however what happens now is, when I add the "software" folder in the root containing all my programs when i boot up it says NTDETECT FAILED? I took it out and ran it again and works fine, I then slowly added each directory within the software folder and it works.

So far I have XPHO and XPHR, now when I add other OS versions it trips again! NTDETECT FAILED?? I think it has something to do with the directory name paths being too long? im not sure? or the size of the Directorys? even though the ISO image is 3.5gb, its like its really sensitive? I might have to add each folder then save and run , kind of like trial and error, but has anyone else come across this issue? Could it be with the ISO image properties? ie. 9660 thingy? im confused! im at a stage now where it says that and now all of a sudden cannot boot mboot.bin! ARGH!!!!! Shed some light please people! HELP!

(P.S With just the XPHO and XPHR and software folder, it goes through the install no problem , but when it logs on to windows for the 1st time and it runs the runonce.cmd, some files wont run? it says cannot find the files even though i can navigate to it via the disk in my computer?i tried manually running it (start>run) and it doesnt like the switches? but runs fine without switches argh!!! )

Problem :

1) NTDETECT FAILED

2) Cannot boot MBOOT.BIN

3) Does not like switches

:( Help!

(P.S With just the XPHO and XPHR and software folder, it goes through the install no problem , but when it logs on to windows for the 1st time and it runs the runonce.cmd, some files wont run? it says cannot find the files even though i can navigate to it via the disk in my computer?i tried manually running it (start>run) and it doesnt like the switches? but runs fine without switches argh!!! )

You have a queer way of presenting problems, (presuming that people on the board all have a crystal ball to know among the few tens of possible ways and tools you used and choices in them, which exact part is the problem and point you to it by sheer magic..:w00t:)

You particularly do not detail how you actually create the .iso.

The NTLDR has limited capbilities when accessing a CDFS filesystem, and as well in the intial phases of SETUP, some LBA addresses might be "unreachable".

From your other post I presume you are using MagicIso, a Commercial tool that since 2005:

Displays LBA (Logical Block Address) of files and files in the iso image.

You might want to check the actual LBA addresses of NTDETECT.COM (and of all files it cannot find).

About runonce.cmd, even my crystal ball cannot list it properly, so you mught want to post for review.

jaclaz

"You might want to check the actual LBA addresses of NTDETECT.COM (and of all files it cannot find)."

How would i go about checking this?

The NTDETECT FAILED is the main issue really the rest i can try and get past.

[ i created the os integration etc.... via nlite and magic iso for the boot menu and power iso for optimisation ]

Edited by H2HARRY

How would i go about checking this?

Hey, it 's you that have those programs, personally I would use isoinfo, some info (pardon the pun ;)) here:

http://reboot.pro/12406/

and mkisofs (or oscdimg) to create the .iso.

To maybe better clear what I am guessing is that some of the early accessed files are "beyond reach", compare with this:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=20248

jaclaz

found on the internet that i need to edit the setupldr.bin at address 00002060 Replaced value 74 03 with EB 1A, I have done that but it still wont boot, so far on the disk i have XPHO, XPHR

XPHO I have not edited the setupupldr.bin at address 00002060 so that is default, that boots fine and goes through install, however on my boot menu when i select XPHR I get NTDETECT FAILED, which XPHR i have edited the setupldr.bin at address 00002060 please see zipped up edited file, any ideas? :(

SETUPLDR.zip

found on the internet that i need to edit the setupldr.bin at address 00002060 Replaced value 74 03 with EB 1A, I have done that but it still wont boot, so far on the disk i have XPHO, XPHR

XPHO I have not edited the setupldr.bin at address 00002060 so that is default, that boots fine and goes through install, however on my boot menu when i select XPHR I get NTDETECT FAILED, which XPHR i have edited the setupldr.bin at address 00002060

Well, one idea would be to reread jaclaz' post. Editing that file serves no purpose and changing something just because "someone said so" is, well, not wise. There are a variety of other "multi-boot" tools that work without fail (an example is Grun4DOS). I can make an n-in-1 quite easily.

Try a different approach, say this one or this on.

Edited by submix8c

Thanks for all the help guys iv done it :D!!

3.5GB ISO Image, booting up with BSCRIPT

* Windows XP Home OEM SP3

* Windows XP Home Retail SP3

* Windows XP Home Upgrade SP3

* Windows XP Pro Corp SP3

* Windows XP Pro OEM SP3

* Windows XP Pro Retail SP3

* Windows XP Pro Upgrade SP3

* Windows XP Media Centre SP3

* Windows XP Tablet PC SP3

When selecting a OS it installs the following silently :)

- All windows update to date (Slipstreamed with SP1/SP2/SP3)

- .net framework packages

- Office 2007 with SP1 and SP2 (unattended)

- Video/Audio codecs

- Zonealarm /AVG

- Windows Plus! Media Edition

- Registry files to correct the keyboard currency location etc...

- Runs Disk Clean up

- Runs Defragmentation

The problem I faced was the setupldr.bin file, I got a "cracked" version of this and basically used the same one for each OS but edited the XPHO or XPHR text within it, after when I done all of that, the ISO image was 15GB, I ran each of the OS's and i got NTDETECT FAILED, then i optimised 15gb down to 3.5gb = resolved! I done it all finally!!! next step......... VISTA AIO! :P

Edited by H2HARRY

I don't see how modifying a file that you DO NOT have in XP Home, nor in XP Professional :w00t: , BUT ONLY in :

• Windows Server 2003 SP1
  • Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
  • Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition
  • Windows PE 2005

may have changed anything, unles the above mentioned version of the file has "further" capabilities (which can be but that AFAIK was never pointed out) :unsure:

The "found on the internet" :realmad: probably means "found here":

:whistle:

jaclaz