Windows XP Product Key Question

Yoko Ono

Hi all, I was cleaning out some software and found a Windows XP Home Edition Disc and Product Key in the packaging. I do a fair amount of computer repair, setups and installs. I am not sure where the disc came from ( I hope it doesn't belong to someone that I did repair for) which brings me to the question I have. Is there anyway to check a Product Key to see if it is activated and in use? I would like to be able to install or sell this treasure if it is clean. If not I guess I will err on the side of caution and get rid of the Product Key. I hope this question is okay with the mods. I am not looking to pirate or steal anything just looking for a way to see if the Key is able to checked.

What kind of disc is this? System builder OEM? Royalty OEM (Dell, HP, most other larger computer companies)? Full retail?

If it's a system builder OEM disk, the product key should have been affixed to the machine when it was built. I would venture a guess that it would probably pass activation, but that doesn't mean the product key hasn't been used before.

If it's a royalty OEM, the product key is useless. They can't be sold separately from the machine it originally shipped with. I find it quite amazing when these fly-by-night "electronics expos" come to town and some shady character has a table full of royalty OEM XP installation disks for $20 each; they don't like me too much when I tell them that they can't sell them!

If it is a full retail disk, it will also probably pass activation, but once again, it doesn't mean that the product key hasn't been used before.

What kind of disc is this? System builder OEM? Royalty OEM (Dell, HP, most other larger computer companies)? Full retail?

If it's a system builder OEM disk, the product key should have been affixed to the machine when it was built. I would venture a guess that it would probably pass activation, but that doesn't mean the product key hasn't been used before.

If it's a royalty OEM, the product key is useless. They can't be sold separately from the machine it originally shipped with. I find it quite amazing when these fly-by-night "electronics expos" come to town and some shady character has a table full of royalty OEM XP installation disks for $20 each; they don't like me too much when I tell them that they can't sell them!

If it is a full retail disk, it will also probably pass activation, but once again, it doesn't mean that the product key hasn't been used before.

Let me clarify, it is a retail upgrade version. I am not sure if someone has it on their PC and I don't want to try and activate it, it could deactivate someone else's computer. I would like to know if the key is in use and if there is a way to check with Microsoft before I go using it or selling it.

Not sure if you should attempt this (never tried it). Since it's an upgrade, you'll need a preexisting OS on any PC.

1 - Install the disk on a PC that's NOT connected to the internet (wireless and all, so if wireless, disable it!)

2 - When attempting to "activate", call the MS phone number and go through the motions of giving the Code (it's all "robot-voice")

3 - If valid (which it should be), the "voice" will say so - Exit the "activation"

Theoretically it should indicate that it's "unused". :unsure: <-unsure

edit - forgot to say if it's "in the package" (unopened I assume), it's probably ok.

Edited by submix8c