Is it safe to use a “Universal Laptop Adapter”?

jiewmeng

As far as trying to find proper notebook adapters, there are only a couple things that really matter:

1. Does the plug fit?

2. Is the output values on the power adapter equal to the input requirements on the notebook?

Presuming you actually have those values on the notebook or other device. You can possibly get away with a "close enough" attitude towards the values on the adapter, but then you are potentially taking a risk. Just be careful if you go this route.

Generally speaking "universal laptop MAINS adapters" or "universal laptop POWER adapters"or "universal AC adapters" or "universal power bricks" have a number of different, exchangeable connectors.

As long as the specs (Voltage) are the same and (Amperes) are the same (or more) than your original adapter they will do allright.

Now, would there be a difference between a "slim" one sold for US$ 89.99 (rebated, was $ 129.99 :w00t:):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6455242&CatId=608

and one sold on the SAME site, with same 90W power for US$ 29.99:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6598168&CatId=608

jaclaz

Now, would there be a difference between a "slim" one sold for US$ 89.99 (rebated, was $ 129.99 :w00t:):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6455242&CatId=608

and one sold on the SAME site, with same 90W power for US$ 29.99:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6598168&CatId=608

You pay for this:

ULTRA-3year-banner-630.jpg

Not sure if it's worth those 60 bucks, but you get something ULTRA SUPER MEGA (as in bad-a**).

Most of those universal mobile computer power-adapters don't have the exact voltage, say your notebook will need 18.5V and you can only set 18 or 19V on the power-adapter, but that 2.5% over-voltage when set to 19V isn't doing any damage (normally).

I use them every day at work. If there was a problem with them, it's usually a cheap quality brand. Kensington makes pretty nice ones actually. We also have some sub-par Diablo-Tek ones. Rocketfish also makes them, but they're inbetween Kensington and Diablo-Tek.

I don't have any complaints about them, just make sure you get the voltage right on them (some automatically change, some have a 14-17 and 17-21 switch, and color coordinated plugs for that, but they all work.

Edited by bonestonne

Here's a good example of a mis-matched adapter in every day use.

My MSI Wind U100 wants 20V and 2A

I use a MSI MS-163K AC Adapter that gives 19V and 3.42A

That's actually pretty well matched. Spec'ed voltage is within 5% of what the laptop's specs states, but it can vary by ± 5% or more (not bad, the SMPS will simply compensate by adjusting its PWM ratio), and it's able to supply more amps than it needs (it's just more capable than it needs to be, it's not harmful or bad in any way)

It was explained to me that the Amps are drawn from the notebook (or device) so a power adapter that has a max potential of more amps than needed isn't necessarily a bad thing. That is, the adapter does not force those amps upon the device it is attached to. Of course the voltage is another story. Personally, I will discontinue use of this adapter once I get the correct one for it.

Here's a good example of a mis-matched adapter in every day use.

My MSI Wind U100 wants 20V and 2A

I use a MSI MS-163K AC Adapter that gives 19V and 3.42A

That's actually pretty well matched.

All depends if he meant good example as in "good to go" and mismatched as in "not exactly matched", when you mean

"actually pretty well matched" as in "could pretty well do". So you both agree. :huh:

Fact is that an adaptor that was made to deliver twice the power in (Amps) will give a slightly higher voltage when underused (in Amps). It's all in the spec's curve.

I'd say in the big lines, the only potential problems are battery life and warranty, but on a laptop that's more than 3 years old, you can forget both.