[Solved] Problems with 98FE

Lipper

Um, the "System Restore" installation does no good unless done before the problem occurs. The problem the poster refers to is "Compaq Recovery from D-Partition - how-to without CD/Floppy". One of ye olde "no recovery CD" problems.

True. Adding "System Restore" to your system right now won't solve anything, because you don't have a previous known-good snapshot to restore.

So, forget about it for the time being, and follow loblo's good advice:

oleaut32.dll v.5.1.2600.2180 is a XP version which is incompatible with your operating system. Fix it by installing this pack: http://www.mdgx.com/files/OLEUP.EXE. If the installer asks you to install a file that is older than the one already in place, make sure you say yes.

I am not quite sure about msstdfmt.dll v.6.00.8804 since I think it should be OK normally but since it is dependent on oleaut32.dll, try to register it again after you've replaced the latter.

I bet this will solve your problems.

msstdfmt.dll v.6.00.8804

oleaut32.dll v.5.1.2600.2180

oleaut32.dll v.5.1.2600.2180 is a XP version which is incompatible with your operating system. Fix it by installing this pack: http://www.mdgx.com/files/OLEUP.EXE. If the installer asks you to install a file that is older than the one already in place, make sure you say yes.

I am not quite sure about msstdfmt.dll v.6.00.8804 since I think it should be OK normally but since it is dependent on oleaut32.dll, try to register it again after you've replaced the latter.

I got a 404 error at your link, but found the file elsewhere. MDG looks like a helpful site and I've bookmarked it.

You 'da man/woman. So far, no more errors, and SpywareBlaster is opening again. Spybot seems to load faster, too.

My main XP system died from mobo processor failure, and I'm using my old 98FE box.

Is there any hope for this old box without a CD or floppy drive? System Restore has stopped working, too, though the recovery "D" drive seems intact.

Compaq Presario 5710 Desktop/PC

You've got system Restore on 98FE?
I don't know what they're talking about above with system restore. On my 98 system it relates to Compaq System Restore, which is actually a recovery program designed to restore a system from the OS files on a separate drive partition (D).
If possible, could you list the folders/files in the Recovery Partition? There may be a way, however no Floppy/CD-Rom presents a problem, though...

Reason for listing request - "tricking" recovery on these PC's with this OS depends on how the Recover Image was initially created (ZIP, Compaq-Specialized PQ Drive Image, etc.). Danced through two (98FE Laptop and 98SE Desktop) so far...

Will a screenshot do?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f66/jahnjahn/2011-02-20_191421.jpg

msstdfmt.dll v.6.00.8804

oleaut32.dll v.5.1.2600.2180

AFAIK, last versions compatible with Windows 98 SE are:

MSSTDFMT.DLL version 6.00.8450

OLEAUT32.DLL version 2.40.4520 :)

I have MSSTDFMT.DLL 6.01.9816 (from the year 2009) installed on my system and I don't think there are problems with it.

6.00.8804 and 6.01.9782, which are both older than the one I have and more recent than the one you have, should also work without issues I think.

Not many programs use this file anyway.

B)

Um, the "System Restore" installation does no good unless done before the problem occurs. The problem the poster refers to is "Compaq Recovery from D-Partition - how-to without CD/Floppy". One of ye olde "no recovery CD" problems.

Not the topic...

Followup-

command from DOS prompt =

DIR D: /S /ONG > C:\!D-DIR.TXT

Get it transferred (somehow) and attached here to look over.

Sorry, you've lost me. Do you want me to run those commands? For what? Also, I have my installation disk, just no working CD to run it on.

True. Adding "System Restore" to your system right now won't solve anything, because you don't have a previous known-good snapshot to restore.

So, forget about it for the time being, and follow loblo's good advice:

I bet this will solve your problems.

Yes, it has so far...:)

Edit: I just noticed that Compaq System Restore UI is functioning again. You guys/gals are awesome, and I truly appreciate your help.

Edited by Lipper

command from DOS prompt =

DIR D: /S /ONG > C:\!D-DIR.TXT

Get it transferred (somehow) and attached here to look over.

Sorry, you've lost me. Do you want me to run those commands? For what? Also, I have my installation disk, just no working CD to run it on.
No longer relevant, so don't bother. The point was to determine the method Compaq used to create the initial C-Drive Image (ZIP files or PQI files). Yours (based on the screen shot) appears to be PQI (maybe). The DATA\EN subfolder would have contained several files having the image and there's a method (worst case scenario) to restore from them provided you have a method to boot and run a "special command". Possible to "set up" the D-drive for that but best to stick with Compaq's Restore feature.

Warning! using Compaq's "User Data Backup" feature will write Images to the D-drive, thus filling it up. I recommend NOT using it!

Glad you're fixed! ...and you're welcome from all of us!