Search Index Issue

Andrews

I have four partitions over three HDs. I configured the search on the Indexing Options. One of the drives does not need to be searched.

The problem is that on the drive where I have all my stuff, including relocated Documents, Music, Pictures, Downloads, etc., the search is inoperative and doesn’t even start. Search is OK everywhere else, including the not indexed drive and the second partition on the disk shared with the inoperative drive search.

I made Chkdsk (OK), SFC /scannow (OK), and deleted and rebuilt the index, all this more than once.

As this is a very recent installation, I had to change some settings at Windows Features on Programs and Features. I noticed the case of Index Services was not selected. I selected the case, closed and rebooted, and the search worked on the drive where it didn't before. Good, but it didn't last long. Later I shut down the computer, and when I came back and turned it on again the issue was back: the search works on all drives but the one I need most and use more frequently.

I clear and check the Index Services on Windows Features and reboot between changes, rebuild the index, but no way. It takes extremely long time searching by hand, and some things I can’t even find. Micosoft's Fixit Just trbuilds the index, but the search works only for a very short time before the issue comes back.

Can someone help on fixing this, please?

Edited by Andrews

Thanks for coming to help.

Here are the answers:

1. What OS version?

Just as on the left column of the post: Simple Windows 7

2. RTM or SP1?

RTM no SP yet

3. x86 or x64?

x64

4. Any warnings or errors in Event Viewer?

No, except that today I started having errors about a missing driver for a USB bluetooth device. I have the driver to fix it and I don't know why it went away. The search issue happened over a week before this.

5. What size volume is this occuring on?

1TB with two partitions, none being the Win7 system. One of the 2 partitions is 40GB has XP, which I seldom use. There is no boot menu, I use BIOS menu and both OSs were installed with the other disks unplugged to keep it clean.

6. Using RAID or JBOD?

This is a SATA II directly connected to the board. However, Win7 system disk (120GB) and another one (60GB), none with this search issue, are IDE on an PCI adapter. No RAID, all independent. All NTFS

7. What file system is on this volume?

All NTFS, normal, nothing special

What I can't understand is why this happens on one drive only.

Edit:

Problem with driver solved. The good and signed manufacturer's driver must have been replaced by some Windows Update rubbish. It is Broadcom's, which has one of the best systems because the driver installer downloads the latest driver itself before installing and does everything automatically.

The search issue remains and appeared before this.

About the Events logs When I looked up it was full with the USB bluetoth errors, so I didn't find the search events. Now I could see them. They are below.

Warning

Log Name: Application

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Search

Date: 24-02-2011 02:41:45

Event ID: 3036

Task Category: Gatherer

Level: Warning

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: Rocco-PC

Description:

The content source <mapi://{S-1-5-21-2201963446-2159910242-3709398457-500}/> cannot be accessed.

Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:

A server error occurred. Check that the server is available. (HRESULT : 0x80041206) (0x80041206)

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Search" Guid="{CA4E628D-8567-4896-AB6B-835B221F373F}" EventSourceName="Windows Search Service" />

<EventID Qualifiers="32768">3036</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>3</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-02-24T02:41:45.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>4235</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>Rocco-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="ExtraInfo">

Details:

A server error occurred. Check that the server is available. (HRESULT : 0x80041206) (0x80041206)

</Data>

<Data Name="URL">mapi://{S-1-5-21-2201963446-2159910242-3709398457-500}/</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Error

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client/Admin

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client

Date: 24-02-2011 02:42:26

Event ID: 1001

Task Category: Address Configuration State Event

Level: Error

Keywords:

User: LOCAL SERVICE

Description:

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0x000272A472E7. The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Event Xml:

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client" Guid="{15A7A4F8-0072-4EAB-ABAD-F98A4D666AED}" />

<EventID>1001</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>3</Task>

<Opcode>75</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-02-24T02:42:26.734682800Z" />

<EventRecordID>25</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="900" ThreadID="2068" />

<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client/Admin</Channel>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="HWLength">6</Data>

<Data Name="HWAddress">000272A472E7</Data>

<Data Name="StatusCode">121</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Warning

Date: 24-02-2011 02:43:50

Event ID: 3036

Description:

The content source <mapi://{S-1-5-21-2201963446-2159910242-3709398457-500}/> cannot be accessed.

Details:

Event Xml:

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Search" Guid="{CA4E628D-8567-4896-AB6B-835B221F373F}" EventSourceName="Windows Search Service" />

<EventID Qualifiers="32768">3036</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>3</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-02-24T02:43:50.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>4236</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="ExtraInfo">

Details:

</Data>

<Data Name="URL">mapi://{S-1-5-21-2201963446-2159910242-3709398457-500}/</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

٭These are not single Warning and Error logs because both keep repeating every few minutes.

Thank you

Edited:

The 60GB drive is rather 80GB. It was a typo.

Edited by Andrews

OK, this item here is a SID: {S-1-5-21-2201963446-2159910242-3709398457-500}

It is a unique identifier that is attached to accounts and to permissions.

The drive in question, is it read or written to from both OSes at some point? Also, this 1TB, was it first formatted by the XP or Win7 OS, or did it come from use in another computer?

Let's see if this SID is from your Win7 system or from something else. You can see your SID in the registry in HKEY_USERS. There will be (at least) 6 items. For example mine has:

.DEFAULT
S-1-5-18
S-1-5-19
S-1-5-20
FULL SID
FULL SID_Classes

I'm not going to post my full SID, not the point. The two long lines (the number and the one with _Classes) will match and this is your SID. This number may or may not be different from the one that appeared in your event log.

The reason I ask about the OS is because a lot of people here post about things other than what is in their profile information.

And the point I'm getting to here (I haven't looked up this warning yet) is perhaps an ownership or permissions issue that is causing the index to fail.

I am not sure that I fully understood you. I may not be giving you the answers you expected to help me. Please advise.

The SID in reference appears on many sub-keys of the registry always related to the search index. I didn't get if you want me to post the excerpts or what else to do.

The drive in question, is it read or written to from both OSes at some point? Also, this 1TB, was it first formatted by the XP or Win7 OS, or did it come from use in another computer?

Yes, it might be used from XP even if not often, because it is the most used drive where I have all my stuff and to where I relocated some Win7 folders, like Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos and other things.

It was formatted about a year ago with Windows Vista 32-bit. I have changed my motherboard around last April (home assembled computer regularly updated when needed – never too old board or processor).

As I said, each OS was installed with the other drives unplugged, but XP is on the second partition of this disk. However, the search works on XP, but not on the other larger partition. I tried out now because I don't search on XP, don't need.

What do you suggest me to do , please?

I was wondering if that SID in the indexing logs matches the SID on your user account, which can be found in the Registry under HKEY_USERS.

I can definately see a problem in trying to index a foreign disk. I have foreign disks (hard drives from other OS/computers) in two of my Win7 machines (work and home) and haven't gotten an error like this. However, I am not certain if I have the index turned on for those drives, and I would imagine that they are not set to be indexed. However, at home I did have problems with one of my foreign disks (from an XP PC) and I had to take ownership of the entire volume.

So unless someone else can come up with another idea, I can see two options:

1. set permissions to allow the SYSTEM "account" read/write access to the entire volume.

2. take ownership (to your user account) of the entire volume.

The problem with either of these is that the process can take a long time, as it depends on the amount of files involved.

The drive in cause is not easy to reformat because it is exactly the one where I have all my stuff, some of it very important, and as it is large I could do it only if I bought another one with the sole purpose of saving what is in there temporarily. So I need a way to do it otherwise because I am wasting lots of time looking for files. Itt should be alone (no OS with it) to avoid any loss, but I seldom use XP now days. Maybe I'll get another small fisk to put Xp on it and keep that disk alone.

I do have the index turned on for all drives, this was the first thing I checked and keep rechecking after each trial to make the search work. I select the locations I need to make searches on on the Index Options. The XP drive also has the indexation on Properties turned on, but is not indexed; even so, if I search there, it works, just takes long.

About taking ownership, I use the registry hack on the attached file that I found elsewhere. I tried it on the drive in question, but the option doesn't appear on drivers context menu. It does appear for folders. I took ownership of the recycle bin. When I opened the drive properties I got a message like Recycle Bin is corrupt. Do you want to delete its files? I clicked yes. Then, I took ownership of another folder and searched for a file that I know to be there. The search worked and showed that file. I repeated the search for the same file, now on the drive. Nothing happened.

I think if I do as you say it will work, but I don't know how to set permissions to allow the SYSTEM "account" read/write access to the entire volume. OR how to take ownership (to your user account) of the entire volume because my way doesn't work on a whole drive.

Thank you for the help.

- - - - - - - - - - / / / - - - - - - - - - - / / / - - - - - - - - - - -

I couldn't upload the *.reg file above. I receive the error This upload failed. Don't know why because I already uploaded a file on this forum. I wanted you to see it because it might be possible to add drive ownership. Here it is:

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]

@="Take Ownership"

"Icon"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\imageres.dll,-78"

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]

@="Take Ownership"

"Icon"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\imageres.dll,-78"

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\runas]

@="Take Ownership"

"HasLUAShield"=""

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\runas\command]

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

Edited by Andrews

You can't select multiple folders to take ownership. You can select the "most" parent folder and take ownership of that.

- Right-click on folder, click Properties

- click Security

- click Advanced

- click the Owner tab

- click Edit

- select your Account in the "Change owner to" list.

- select the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"

- click OK.

Thank you Legend.

I applied ownership to all root folders. It took a long time, but it doesn't solve the problem. I can't explain why it worked on a small trial on one only folder

What else do you recommend, please?

Yes, Office was recently installed.

I was reading carefully about the Office search issue on your link. I don't have that issue or event ID 3036 on MS Office events. Outlook search works OK.

Fortunately, going there I found the reason for some other things not working in Office: I had not installed Visual Basic for Applications :blushing:. After installing everything now runs OK.

I know it is neither common or easy. I am probably wrong, but I have a feeling that this issue is somehow related to the long ID number you mentioned on your second post (#5 on this thread). I need to solve this because nearly all searches I make are on this very drive, so I waste lots of time looking for what I need. It wouldn't be so bad on any of the other drives.

I still have Event Viewer warnings about Windows search, like this one now:

Date: 01-03-2011 16:48:47

Event ID: 10023

Description:

The protocol host process 5000 did not respond and is being forcibly terminated {filter host process 3260}.

Event Xml:

<System>

<EventID Qualifiers="32768">10023</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>3</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-01T16:48:47.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>6197</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="ExtraInfo">

</Data>

<Data Name="ProtocolHostProcessID">5000</Data>

<Data Name="FilterHostProcessID">3260</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Must have some meanung to get clues.

I also scanned for virus and found nothing.

Thanks again for the help, and maybe someone else can join the rescue.

Edited by Andrews

You haven't confirmed whether the SID in HK_USERS matches the one in the Event log yet.

Yes, I wrote at the beginning of the following post:

I am not sure that I fully understood you. I may not be giving you the answers you expected to help me. Please advise.

The SID in reference appears on many sub-keys of the registry always related to the search index. I didn't get if you want me to post the excerpts or what else to do.

However, I am still not quite sure If I understood your question.

It appears in these three places and many others:

It is sub-key of Protected Storage System Provider that can not be exported because the right hand side of the registry is empty:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider]

It can also be found as

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\ProcessedSearchRoots\0002]

@="defaultroot://{S-1-5-21-2201963446-2159910242-3709398457-500}/"

"Version"=dword:00000000

"DoNotCreateSearchConnectors"=dword:00000001

Again:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\ProcessedSearchRoots\0002]

@="defaultroot://{S-1-5-21-2201963446-2159910242-3709398457-500}/"

"Version"=dword:00000000

"DoNotCreateSearchConnectors"=dword:00000001

And many more.