Search Index Issue

Andrews

OK, I did that. Unchecked XML on Advanced Options / File Types tab, and Outlook on indexed locations, so now I won't be able to search mail and over one thousand contacts. Please note that the issue appeared before I installed Outlook (with a few more Office apps.).

Bad thing is that I rebooted, but no changes, no search on the same drive. It doesn't take any time for the No terms match your search to pop up. Really annoying. Shall I post any especial section of the registry, if that can help?

Something strange happens. this is a new clean installation after reformatting the OS drive. Before installing Office I installed a few other programs, just little things. They did not install their usual shortcuts on the start menu. When I installed Office, all shortcuts were properly installed. Then I installed a couple more and no shortcuts again. The star menu was relocated on that drive along with others right after installing the OS, as mentioned earlier. It looks like this problem would have the same origin as the search. What is strange is that while some short-cuts get installed, others don't.

Edited by Andrews

Thank you for the replies,

The first thing I did when I noticed I couldn't make searches on that drive was to check up on its properties if the case to allow its content indexing was checked. Then I rechecked my choice of folders to be indexed (the whole thing with a few exceptions). Everything was OK, so I rebuilt the index. Didn't work. Then I used MS's FixIt application on the Web. I don't think it did much more than rebuilding the index again. I also tried the other computer based operated version of FixIt especially for search issues (Mats_Run.search.exe) and it just did the same as the previous with exactly the same result: did nothing.

I come back to the last paragraph of my last post. I just installed Quicktime. The program shortcuts were properly placed on my relocated Start Menu on that drive. Some programs find it, like Quicktime and Office, others don't and do not install shortcuts there, but on the desktop only. I think this may well have the same source as the search issue. The search too, sometimes works for a little while right after the index being rebuilt.

You know, the especial relocatable folders keep on appearing under the user's profile even if they are not really there. So when I search for something on the folders relocated on that drive with the search issue, from the profile root (%USERPROFILE%), no wonder nothing is found.

This is probably silly, but I have a feeling that the source of the issue is on Tripredacus' first suggestions. It seems logical.

Edited by Andrews

It is probably safe to say your issue isn't related to the SID. It just took a lot of work to get a confirmation on it from you. :w00t:

But I don't think it is related now that we see the SID in the error is the same SID for your user account. :(

I'm sorry if I didn't give you the answer you needed right away because I thought I did :(. If someone doesn't give the right answer, the other one must state it without delay instead of expecting that I will guess, or else I'll be undermining your help, which is the opposite of what I need, sorry. Once done, a mistake will never be corrected without recognition. Isn't this logic enough to be understood by anyone?

So what can originate such strange issue? If it isn't SID related, what can it be?

For the number of views of this thread I guess many people may have search issues, even if possibly not all like mine.

Edited: Additions and corrections applied to the text to make it more clear.

Edited by Andrews

• 2 weeks later...

I am back because there are new findings to this issue.

Because to do my work I have to do many searches, I can't do without searching. So I kept trying at least to understand the origin of the issue. I updated with SP1 from Windows Updates and nothing happened. As I couldn't solve it by myself and didn't get the needed help here, I gave up on the installation which was very recent, reformatted and made a clean install. A fresh install doesn't take more than half hour and I had already lost many useless hours. What takes extremely longer is installing our programs and configuring. After reinstalling I couldn't believe that the issue didn't change at all. It was back as before!

I tried more things always checking the results.

Rebuilding the index had been proved absolutely useless, as already told on the starting post, so I started with other experiences. I tried changing the selected folders for indexing in different ways and watching the subsequent results. I came to the following conclusion.

(The issue is on one drive only.) I unmarked the case for the whole drive (the top root case). The search worked everywhere on the drive independently of the folder or subfolder where it is performed or where the searched for file is. There is the notice that Searches might be slow… Click to add to index. If I click then it doesn't search there anymore.

Then, I marked the top root case and unmarked several folders. I started the search for certain known files located on unmarked root folders or subfolders. Even if the file was located on any deep subfolder, it was found, but if I started searching from the marked top root folder it didn't work.

After, I unmarked all folders including the top root folder, and marked a few others in the root. The searches were normal on the unmarked folders and didn't work on those marked for indexing.

This tells me the indexing on this drive works reversely to how it should. However, searches are normally slower because files on unmarked folders are found but not indexed. So I did the opposite of what I should: unmarked all locations where I need to search and marked those where I don't. This way searches are slower, but I can find the files. Better than nothing.

Unbelievable for my little knowledge, but I am sure that anyone knowing how the index works will understand what is going on.

Well, it is even more confusing than that because they are actually not indexed (the cases are empty – slow serch), and that is why they appear in the search. When they are indexed (cases marked) they do not appear in the searches.

However, the searched files should always appear on any search results, the difference being only the speed of searching depending on being indexed or not.

It is extremely strange that this issue on a then new installation reappears on a reinstallation. I wonder if this is a Windows 64-bit bug in connection with something else (maybe the HDD itself) because I have this HDD and it didn't show up until I moved to 64-bit. It doesn't search right after installing, first thing I checked.

Edited by Andrews