bapt

[SOLVED] problem with Vlite 1.2 and Win7 SP1 (MSDN)

189 posts in this topic

I just used vista imagex and wim tweak and removed hyper-v package then vlited and installed and it worked. now on to batch files for removal. so far 5.97GB x64

was this after you used seven imagex?

Yes, I have a wim saved that I used the seven imagex on and also exported the ultimate index. I copy this over to my working folder each time to try something new. I am now removing about 60 packages to see what happens.

Edited by xpJohnson

bapt, wouldn't export be easier, just 1 step

I don't understand ^^

bapt, wouldn't export be easier, just 1 step

I don't understand ^^

My understanding of what you are doing is already an export. You are using apply to EXPORT a given image number from a wim to a directory then capturing that directory to a wim. So essentially you are EXPORTING a image number like 4 for ultimate to a new wim that only has that image. Is that right?

imagex /export D:\imaging\install.wim 4 D:\imaging\export.wim

export.wim will now contain only the ultimate image. I may not understand what you are doing if this is not case.

Well I used dism to remove 60 successfully but it doesn't change the size of the installed system. I removed a few more things in vlite and now at 5.63GB.

dead0, on your removal batch how did you know what to remove from the winsxs folder?

My understanding of what you are doing is already an export. You are using apply to EXPORT a given image number from a wim to a directory then capturing that directory to a wim. So essentially you are EXPORTING a image number like 4 for ultimate to a new wim that only has that image. Is that right?

imagex /export D:\imaging\install.wim 4 D:\imaging\export.wim

export.wim will now contain only the ultimate image. I may not understand what you are doing if this is not case.

if we just mounting/dismounting install.wim with Gimagex, it not work (after using vLite, there are corrupt files)

I have not tested it with just "export" but not sure it works

PS: dism does not reduce the image size

Edited by bapt

I just tested Gimagex/Vlite method on Windows 7 Homepremium x86. It works fine, like x64 version. Of course by using Apply/Capture in Gimagex, we select one specific image from install.wim (in my wim, 3 is Homepremium). I don't know how to apply Gimagex to all images in wim. But is not a problem, because the purpose of this action is to obtain a specific "lite version" ...

The instructions from bapt are very accurate, follow step by step and all will be OK.

Edited by romantiq

Then put the folders/files to install Windows 7 in the folder "x64_sp1" (for my example)

with Gimagex, in the "Apply" tab

Source: [path to file] x64_sp1\source\install.wim

Destination: an empty folder (Mount in the screen)

select the image used for install (Home, Pro, etc ...)

and Apply

capturexm.png

when process is finished go "Capture" tab

Source: empty folder path (Mount in the example)

Destination: [path to file] x64_sp1\source\install2.wim

Name: Windows 7 Pro (in the example)

Description: Windows 7 Pro (in the example)

Compression: Max

leave the rest blank

and Create

capture2jc.png

when finished, in the [folder path] x64_sp1\source, delete install.wim and rename install2.wim in install.wim

restart PC and launch Vlite normally (like if it's Vista)

Ok, i have tested this and it works with vLite.

But since i want to use both vLite and RT 7 Lite, then what should i use first?

Should i first use RT 7 Lite, then GImageX with you're steps and then vLite?

Let me know how i have to go forward.

EDIT: While i remember it. After i have used the Apply and Capture things in GImageX, then i can't delete the folder where GImageX extracted the install.win files to. How do i delete the folder then?

Edited by Tom-Helge

@ bapt

How you get install2?

for install2.wim, you just indicate in the fields, when the. wim will create, he will have this name

Ok, i have tested this and it works with vLite.

But since i want to use both vLite and RT 7 Lite, then what should i use first?

Should i first use RT 7 Lite, then GImageX with you're steps and then vLite?

Let me know how i have to go forward.

Me, I use first Gimagex then Vlite and I finally rt7lite

if we use first rt7lite is an error message launching Vlite about the boot (boot-optimized by rt7lite and not "compatible" with vLite)

EDIT: While i remember it. After i have used the Apply and Capture things in GImageX, then i can't delete the folder where GImageX extracted the install.win files to. How do i delete the folder then?

Indeed, I have not yet to find how "unmount"

I use "take ownership" on each folder and delete the files after

;)

Edited by bapt

I did it all by instructions from bapt and i get this error "There are no images available"

th_error.jpg

i have WAIK 2.0 and Gimagex 2.0.17.0.

Here is the vLite preset(nothing special removed/tweaked,just for testing this method)

Last Session.ini

Edited by Veki(CRO)

I did it all by instructions from bapt and i get this error "There are no images available"

th_error.jpg

i have WAIK 2.0 and Gimagex 2.0.17.0.

Here is the vLite preset(nothing special removed/tweaked,just for testing this method)

in Gimagex, Capture tab, you have indicated

Name: Windows 7 Professional (example)

Description: Windows 7 Professional (example)

??

Me, I check the box, apply to this image or something like that (to create the image) in Vlite

and installation of 7 launch directly

I do not know if it makes a difference, but I have this in last session file

; vLite preset file

;

;#Environment:

; vLite v1.2

; Framework 2.0.50727.5420

; Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 64-bit

;

;#Target:

; Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL 64-bit Service Pack 1

; Version 6.1 French (France)

Edited by bapt

I tryed again and indicated fields with "Windows 7 Professional",then just make ISO in vLite,nothing else and I got this error now

th_error2.jpg

I didnt entered cd-key in vLite,I only checked "Make ISO".

When i click OK its going to screen "Install now" and then i again recive this error.

Any idea?

This becoming very very frustrating.

I tryed again and indicated fields with "Windows 7 Professional",then just make ISO in vLite,nothing else and I got this error now

th_error2.jpg

When i click OK its going to screen "Install now" and then i again recive this error.

Any idea?

did you use the autoattend settings from vlite. the key vlite uses is for vista not 7.

th_error2.jpg

Any idea?

if you have the ultimate msdn iso you can not use pro as a trial serial is not provided. u have to use ultimate