Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 7 Ultimate/Server 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1 Batch Removal

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06
as SP1 is finally released, here comes the new set of batch files. took a while to find a workaround as the new isos have stricter file permissions so you will need imagex and wimfilters from both waik 1.1 and 2.0. the new batches will be based on my final set for the non-SP1 build so a lot more functionality will be kept. plus i wont be deleting any files from the winsxs folder but shrinking it instead.

in the meantime, here is the final set for pre-SP1: http://www.4shared.c...in7r2final.html

you can view this topic for the workaround while i work on a guide: http://www.msfn.org/...-win7-sp1-msdn/

Step 1: Preparing your Image

This section is very important. If you do this wrong, you will have a corrupt image. You will need both Vista SP1 Waik 1.1 and Waik 2.0. Use of GImageX is highly recommended!

1) first make sure the vlite wimfilter is not installed. if it is installed, you can delete the reg key "wimfltr" from HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services then install waik 2.0
2) copy or extract GImageX gui to your amd64/x86 folder in Windows AIK (in program files) where imagex.exe resides. you can also create a shortcut for it on your desktop to make things easier.
3) extract your windows iso to a new folder in C (or root) drive. call the new folder "s1" also create another folder in the root called "s2" - this will be your mount folder
4) start up gimagex, and under the mount tab select your mount point (s2) and your source image from c:\s1\sources. choose ultimate (or enterprise if server). make sure the checkbox for Read and Write, and Commit Changes is ticked. mount the image. this could take a few seconds or a few minutes as waik 2 imagex is slow.
5) after the mounting is done, select your mounted image from the unmount box in gimagex and then click Unmount. this should take a good few minutes at least but you're looking around 20 minutes or so.
6) once done, create a backup of your install.wim as you may need it later if you encounter any problems with vlite or batch removal.
7) if you have other images or planning to create an aio - x86, x64 and r2 then i suggest you repeat the process as above for the other isos, remembering to create a backup when done as the next step will be to uninstall waik2
8) uninstall waik2, restart your computer and install waik 1.1 for vista sp1. copy or extract gimagex gui to your imagex folder. your image should now be prepared for the dism/vlite/batch removal process as in my previous guide in the other thread.

Alternate method which looks more easier than above: http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__957787

batch files and maybe another guide to follow...

UPDATED 12/03/11
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 dism/vlite/batch file:
Attached File  7x86sp1.zip   107.25KB   838 downloads
Attached File  7x64sp1.zip   161.65KB   872 downloads

Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Enterprise:
Attached File  r2esp1.zip   177.83KB   278 downloads

optional: i also included a vbs script to run post install which will remove an error from the event viewer

Edited by dead0, 17 March 2011 - 05:54 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

xpJohnson

xpJohnson

Junior

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 01-January 09
good work dead0, I have been waiting for this for a while. I have a new laptop that is so loaded down I keep putting it off to rebuild until sp1 lite version works. How are you shrinking the sxs. I did see that deleting anything from the sxs breaks the install for me. I am currently at 4.7GB x64 ultimate with just about everything removed except ie and wmp. It works in virtual box and was going to try it this weekend when I make a partition for testing. do you have some batch files I can test?

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

good work dead0, I have been waiting for this for a while. I have a new laptop that is so loaded down I keep putting it off to rebuild until sp1 lite version works. How are you shrinking the sxs. I did see that deleting anything from the sxs breaks the install for me. I am currently at 4.7GB x64 ultimate with just about everything removed except ie and wmp. It works in virtual box and was going to try it this weekend when I make a partition for testing. do you have some batch files I can test?

im currently working on the x86 which im still testing. im wondering tho, by applying the gimagex tweak at the beginning, does that break trustedinstaller? i say this because normally when you remove packages with dism, after install, the related files are automatically removed from the winsxs folder by windows, this doesnt seem to be happening with this new method...

xpJohnson

xpJohnson

Junior

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 01-January 09

im currently working on the x86 which im still testing. im wondering tho, by applying the gimagex tweak at the beginning, does that break trustedinstaller? i say this because normally when you remove packages with dism, after install, the related files are automatically removed from the winsxs folder by windows, this doesnt seem to be happening with this new method...

Are you using dism online or off. I did notice the same thing. When I first started working with sp1 I was using your batch files and waik1.1 everything removed but it would never install. we found this being a waik1.1 problem. now with waik2 I just removed 68 packages and the install size didn't change. vlite shrinks it down but that's it. also if you use vlite to remove winsxs it breaks just like using waik1.1 in the beginning. I even tried to mount the wim and manually delete stuff and it doesn't work. another thing is you cant install the wim tweak using waik2 only 1.1. I think last I tried to mount the registry manually and couldn't do that either while using waik2. arrggg. I am getting frustrated.

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

Are you using dism online or off. I did notice the same thing. When I first started working with sp1 I was using your batch files and waik1.1 everything removed but it would never install. we found this being a waik1.1 problem. now with waik2 I just removed 68 packages and the install size didn't change. vlite shrinks it down but that's it. also if you use vlite to remove winsxs it breaks just like using waik1.1 in the beginning. I even tried to mount the wim and manually delete stuff and it doesn't work. another thing is you cant install the wim tweak using waik2 only 1.1. I think last I tried to mount the registry manually and couldn't do that either while using waik2. arrggg. I am getting frustrated.

i use dism offline. i did manage to apply the wim tweak with waik2 and remove some packages but i couldnt remove the driver packages. i rely on trustedinstaller to work out which folders to delete from the winsxs as i compare the file differences before and after installation.

xpJohnson

xpJohnson

Junior

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 01-January 09
I did a compare on the registry and I didn't like that it deleted stuff but maybe it needs to. Now I remember, I couldn't get my own wim tweak to work like the original wim tweak because of permissions. I was trying to change just the visibility flags. I had no luck either with the drivers. Here is a list I have uninstalled so far and can still install. Also my session.ini. Note this is an extreme case but IE still worked.

Microsoft-Hyper-V-Common-Drivers-Package
Microsoft-Hyper-V-Guest-Integration-Drivers-Package
Microsoft-Windows-Anytime-Upgrade-Results-Package
Microsoft-Windows-Backup-Package
Microsoft-Windows-BLB-Client-Package
Microsoft-Windows-BusinessScanning-Feature-Package
Microsoft-Windows-ClipsInTheLibrary-Package
Microsoft-Windows-Editions-Client-Package
Microsoft-Windows-GPUPipeline-Package
Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientExtensions-Package
Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientTools-Package
Microsoft-Windows-Help-CoreClientUAUE-Package
Microsoft-Windows-Help-Customization-Package
Microsoft-Windows-IE-Troubleshooters-Package
Microsoft-Windows-IIS-WebServer-AddOn-2-Package
Microsoft-Windows-IIS-WebServer-AddOn-Package
Microsoft-Windows-IIS-WebServer-Package
Microsoft-Windows-Indexing-Service-Package
Microsoft-Windows-Links-Package
Microsoft-Windows-MediaCenter-Package
Microsoft-Windows-MobilePC-Client-Basic-Package
Microsoft-Windows-MobilePC-Client-Premium-Package
Microsoft-Windows-MobilePC-Client-Sensors-Package
Microsoft-Windows-MobilePC-Client-SideShow-Package
Microsoft-Windows-NetworkDiagnostics-DirectAccessEntry-Package
Microsoft-Windows-OfflineFiles-Package
Microsoft-Windows-OpticalMediaDisc-Package
Microsoft-Windows-ParentalControls-Package
Microsoft-Windows-PeerDist-Client-Package
Microsoft-Windows-PeerToPeer-Full-Package
Microsoft-Windows-Printing-XPSServices-Package
Microsoft-Windows-RasRip-Package
Microsoft-Windows-RDC-Package
Microsoft-Windows-RecDisc-SDP-Package
Microsoft-Windows-RemoteAssistance-Package-Client
Microsoft-Windows-SampleContent-Music-Package
Microsoft-Windows-SampleContent-Ringtones-Package
Microsoft-Windows-SecureStartup-Package
Microsoft-Windows-ShareMedia-ControlPanel-Package
Microsoft-Windows-Shell-HomeGroup-Package
Microsoft-Windows-Shell-InboxGames-Package
Microsoft-Windows-SimpleTCP-Package
Microsoft-Windows-SNMP-Package
Microsoft-Windows-StickyNotes-Package
Microsoft-Windows-SUA-Package
Microsoft-Windows-SystemRestore-Package
Microsoft-Windows-TabletPC-OC-Package
Microsoft-Windows-Telnet-Client-Package
Microsoft-Windows-Telnet-Server-Package
Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-CommandLineTools-Package
Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-MiscRedirection-Package
Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-Publishing-WMIProvider-Package
Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteApplications-Client-Package
Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-UsbRedirector-Package
Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-WMIProvider-Package
Microsoft-Windows-TFTP-Client-Package
Microsoft-Windows-VirtualPC-Licensing-Package
Microsoft-Windows-VirtualPC-USB-RPM-Package
Microsoft-Windows-VirtualXP-Licensing-Package
Microsoft-Windows-WinOcr-Package
Microsoft-Windows-WMI-SNMP-Provider-Package
Microsoft-Windows-WMPNetworkSharingService-Package
Microsoft-Windows-Xps-Foundation-Client-Package
Server-Help-Package.ClientUltimate
Microsoft-Windows-LocalPack-AU-Package
Microsoft-Windows-LocalPack-CA-Package
Microsoft-Windows-LocalPack-GB-Package
Microsoft-Windows-LocalPack-US-Package
Microsoft-Windows-LocalPack-ZA-Package
Package_for_KB976933~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~de-DE~6.1.7601.17514
Package_for_KB976933~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~es-ES~6.1.7601.17514
Package_for_KB976933~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~fr-FR~6.1.7601.17514
Package_for_KB976933~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~ja-JP~6.1.7601.17514
Microsoft-Windows-RemoteFX-RemoteClient-Setup-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514
Microsoft-Windows-RemoteFX-VM-Setup-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514

Attached Files

bitfly

bitfly
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 23-March 10
well done!perfect!you are my hero!

xpJohnson

xpJohnson

Junior

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 01-January 09
Well I still have had no success with this dism package stuff. My latest attempt was I manually mounted the registry and changed the visibility flag then unmounted the registry. making sure I put back all permissions as if it was never touched. I also changed back the file access and modified times. I get unexpected results from this. dism complains with access denied even if I take ownership and permissions of the mount. the dism error also says only package owners can remove the package. really strange.

dead0, any luck with your attempts?

Edited by xpJohnson, 04 March 2011 - 09:25 AM.

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

Well I still have had no success with this dism package stuff. My latest attempt was I manually mounted the registry and changed the visibility flag then unmounted the registry. making sure I put back all permissions as if it was never touched. I also changed back the file access and modified times. I get unexpected results from this. dism complains with access denied even if I take ownership and permissions of the mount. the dism error also says only package owners can remove the package. really strange.

ive done the x86 so now starting on x64. no major problems except for a wmi error in event viewer. but this error also occurs on unmodified install as well. i got the x86 install under 2gb but thats due to keeping a lot of stuff such as netfx3, windows diagnosis, performance/resource monitor, media center, remotefx, etc

xpJohnson

xpJohnson

Junior

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 01-January 09

ive done the x86 so now starting on x64. no major problems except for a wmi error in event viewer. but this error also occurs on unmodified install as well. i got the x86 install under 2gb but thats due to keeping a lot of stuff such as netfx3, windows diagnosis, performance/resource monitor, media center, remotefx, etc

I am going to have a look at your x86 files. great work your the man. I am interested to see how you did it. Is it possible you can do a version without media center. media player is fine but I don't use media center. What about the dism removal, did you get it to work? Your test file is for post vlite correct?

Edited by xpJohnson, 04 March 2011 - 11:13 AM.

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

I am going to have a look at your x86 files. great work your the man. I am interested to see how you did it. Is it possible you can do a version without media center. media player is fine but I don't use media center. What about the dism removal, did you get it to work? Your test file is for post vlite correct?

my x64 version will be without mediacenter. see my first post for the completed x86 batch files. x64 normally takes longer to do as there are more errors which is hard to rectify.

xpJohnson

xpJohnson

Junior

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 01-January 09

my x64 version will be without mediacenter. see my first post for the completed x86 batch files. x64 normally takes longer to do as there are more errors which is hard to rectify.

can't wait for the x64. After reading your instructions about the waik issue I realized again that is probably my permission problem with dism removal again. Are you getting dism to remove files now?

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

can't wait for the x64. After reading your instructions about the waik issue I realized again that is probably my permission problem with dism removal again. Are you getting dism to remove files now?

at the moment dism removal seems to be working on x64 but i have to do a test install to make sure...

...dism removal successful

...vlite and batch file successful

will upload the batch files tonight

x64 batches added to first post

Edited by dead0, 04 March 2011 - 04:52 PM.

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06
all editions now updated in first post :)

xpJohnson

xpJohnson

Junior

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 01-January 09

Thanks dead0,

If I want to keep mobile pc and not remove it with dism what do I need to take out of the batch to keep it? I think I need this to have some functions and keys work on my laptop.

Thanks again

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

Thanks dead0,

If I want to keep mobile pc and not remove it with dism what do I need to take out of the batch to keep it? I think I need this to have some functions and keys work on my laptop.

Thanks again

with these new batches, you probably do not need to edit the batch files much as i dont delete any folders from the winsxs. keep the following packages:
Microsoft-Windows-MobilePC-Client-Basic-Package
Microsoft-Windows-MobilePC-Client-Premium-Package
Microsoft-Windows-MobilePC-Client-Sensors-Package
Microsoft-Windows-MobilePC-Client-SideShow-Package

...and see how it goes

shutfu

shutfu

• 14 posts
  • Joined 16-January 10
which waik is waik 2.0? theres waik for Windows 7 SP1, theres waik for windows 7 version 3.0 and then theres Waik for Vista SP1 which i assume is waik 1.1

sooo... which one is waik 2.0?

alvinkhorfire

alvinkhorfire

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 11-May 08
shufu

Please refer to this quoted text.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

1. WAIK 1.0—Released with Vista

2. WAIK 1.1—v6.0.6001.18000—Released with Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008
Filename: 6001.18000.080118-1840-kb3aikl_en.iso
Version: v936330AIK – Released: 4/9/2008–1375.9 MB

3. WAIK 2.0 - v6.1.7000.0—Released with Windows 7
Filename: KB3AIK_en.ISO

4. WAIK 2.0 RC: 6.1.7100.0—Released with Windows Vista

5. Win7 WAIK / WAIK 3.0: 6.1.7600.16385 Includes DISM.exe, same version number
Version: v3.0—Released: 8/6/2009—1706.6 MB

Windows AIK version 3.0 is the exact same as 2.0. The hash values of the ISO images are exactly the same.

In short, WAIK 2.0 is WAIK for Windows 7.

dead0

I am using 64-bit Windows 7 SP1.

1a. You mentioned before that there is no need to have both WAIK installed and we just need the imagex and filters from them. Suppose that I installed WAIK 2.0. What are the files that I need to copy from C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools? Thus, when I perform the steps of preparing image, I do not have to install WAIK 2.0. All I have to do is to place the necessary files in C:\ImageX\seven\amd64.

1b After placing the files and a copy of gimagex in C:\ImageX\seven\amd64, do I have to perform the following step?
in cmd prompt, go to C:\ImageX\seven\amd64 and execute wimmountinstall /install

2a. Suppose that I have prepared my image and want to initiate the dism/vlite/batch removal processes. Again, I do not want to install WAIK 1.1. I want to know what the files that I need to copy from C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools are.

2b. Is deleting C:\ImageX\seven\amd64 good enough, to remove WAIK 2.0 imagex and filters from my system? Or, do I have to execute some kind of command prompt?

2c. Once I have placed the WAIK 1.1 imagex and filters in C:\ImageX\vista\amd64, again do I have to perform the following step?
in cmd prompt, go to C:\ImageX\Vista\amd64 and execute wimfltrinstall /install

All of the aforementioned steps involve no installing of both WAIK 1.1 and WAIK 2.0. They only involve copying the neccasary files to either C:\ImageX\seven\amd64 or C:\ImageX\Vista\amd64.

Thank you for your advice.

Edited by alvinkhorfire, 06 March 2011 - 11:38 PM.

xpJohnson

xpJohnson

Junior

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 01-January 09
Dead0, as per your original guide, do we need to go back to vlite after your winsxs shrinker and select only winsxs and run again.

xpJohnson

xpJohnson

Junior

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 01-January 09
I am getting an error of cd/dvd device driver missing. I am using virtual box to test. I was getting this when I was trying my own slim versions and couldn't remember what I put back in to get it to work. Any Idea?

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

shufu

Please refer to this quoted text.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

1. WAIK 1.0—Released with Vista

2. WAIK 1.1—v6.0.6001.18000—Released with Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008
Filename: 6001.18000.080118-1840-kb3aikl_en.iso
Version: v936330AIK – Released: 4/9/2008–1375.9 MB

3. WAIK 2.0 - v6.1.7000.0—Released with Windows 7

4. WAIK 2.0 RC: 6.1.7100.0—Released with Windows Vista

5. Win7 WAIK / WAIK 3.0: 6.1.7600.16385 Includes DISM.exe, same version number
Version: v3.0—Released: 8/6/2009—1706.6 MB

Windows AIK version 3.0 is the exact same as 2.0. The hash values of the ISO images are exactly the same.

In short, WAIK 2.0 is WAIK for Windows 7.

dead0

I am using 64-bit Windows 7 SP1.

1a. You mentioned before that there is no need to have both WAIK installed and we just need the imagex and filters from them. Suppose that I installed WAIK 2.0. What are the files that I need to copy from C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools? Thus, when I perform the steps of preparing image, I do not have to install WAIK 2.0. All I have to do is to place the necessary files in C:\ImageX\seven\amd64.

1b After placing the files and a copy of gimagex in C:\ImageX\seven\amd64, do I have to perform the following step?
in cmd prompt, go to C:\ImageX\seven\amd64 and execute wimmountinstall /install

2a. Suppose that I have prepared my image and want to initiate the dism/vlite/batch removal processes. Again, I do not want to install WAIK 1.1. I want to know what the files that I need to copy from C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools are.

2b. Is deleting C:\ImageX\seven\amd64 good enough, to remove WAIK 2.0 imagex and filters from my system? Or, do I have to execute some kind of command prompt?

2c. Once I have placed the WAIK 1.1 imagex and filters in C:\ImageX\vista\amd64, again do I have to perform the following step?
in cmd prompt, go to C:\ImageX\Vista\amd64 and execute wimfltrinstall /install

All of the aforementioned steps involve no installing of both WAIK 1.1 and WAIK 2.0. They only involve copying the neccasary files to either C:\ImageX\seven\amd64 or C:\ImageX\Vista\amd64.

Thank you for your advice.

1a) if you install waik 2.0 (for windows 7), you can skip 1b. waik 2.0 is only needed to make the install.wim compatible with vista waik 1.1. my other method of copying files may get too complicated. when you install waik 2.0, that version of the wimfltr ie wimmount.sys will be or should be active. you then copy over gimagex to your waik folder where imagex.exe resides. if your OS is x64, you then copy gimagex to the amd64 folder, if x86 copy to the x86 folder.

2a/b/c) you need waik 1.1 for vlite to work as vlite depends on its wimfltr and wimgapi.dll. you also need this version of imagex to apply the batch files

this should make it easier

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

Dead0, as per your original guide, do we need to go back to vlite after your winsxs shrinker and select only winsxs and run again.

after you apply the batch files, you do not need to touch the winsxs folder with vlite. the winsxs folder will be roughly 250mb in size if x64 but i suggest not messing further with this. i have installed all updates so far with this, and no update errors at all.

I am getting an error of cd/dvd device driver missing. I am using virtual box to test. I was getting this when I was trying my own slim versions and couldn't remember what I put back in to get it to work. Any Idea?

you need to copy the setup.exe from the original iso sources folder, not the root folder.

xpJohnson

xpJohnson

Junior

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 01-January 09

you need to copy the setup.exe from the original iso sources folder, not the root folder.

Duh, yea that was it, forgot about that. Thanks

alvinkhorfire

alvinkhorfire

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 11-May 08
dead0

Thank you for your informative reply. To me, it is a bit of hassle to install either WAIK 1.1 or WAIK 2.0, each time I want to slim down Windows SP1. However, if you said it is much earlier, I will heed your advice. :)

6) once done, create a backup of your install.wim as you may need it later if you encounter any problems with vlite or batch removal.

For this step, do I need to copy other files in C:\s1, other than install.wim? What about boot.wim and other folders inside C:\s1?

If I am not mistaken, your step implies that GimageX with WAIK 2.0 made changes only to install.wim. Once I copy back this modified install.wim into untouched image of Windows 7 SP1 (MSDN), this image does not require any further modification and is ready for the dism/vlite/batch removal process. Am I right about this?

Edited by alvinkhorfire, 07 March 2011 - 11:01 PM.

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06
first post updated with new batch files

Edited by dead0, 09 March 2011 - 11:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN