Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 7 Ultimate/Server 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1 Batch Removal

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

dead0

Thank you for your informative reply. To me, it is a bit of hassle to install either WAIK 1.1 or WAIK 2.0, each time I want to slim down Windows SP1. However, if you said it is much earlier, I will heed your advice. :)

6) once done, create a backup of your install.wim as you may need it later if you encounter any problems with vlite or batch removal.

For this step, do I need to copy other files in C:\s1, other than install.wim? What about boot.wim and other folders inside C:\s1?

If I am not mistaken, your step implies that GimageX with WAIK 2.0 made changes only to install.wim. Once I copy back this modified install.wim into untouched image of Windows 7 SP1 (MSDN), this image does not require any further modification and is ready for the dism/vlite/batch removal process. Am I right about this?

you only need to backup the modified install.wim. this just avoids having to redo the whole process all over again

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

xpJohnson

xpJohnson

Junior

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 01-January 09

first post updated with new batch files

What did you change? Hope not much since I just got running again!

I just finished my install last night and got 2 errors when installing office about 2 fonts couldn't install, any ideas?

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

first post updated with new batch files

What did you change? Hope not much since I just got running again!

I just finished my install last night and got 2 errors when installing office about 2 fonts couldn't install, any ideas?

just some small tweaks, nothing major. i took em down again as im just rechecking the dism files.

i think the fonts issue is a common problem with office. i always get the font error

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06
updated first post with hopefully, the final batches...:P

ps all latest windows updates installed without any errors. rather than deleting the winsxs folder, clearing the folders might be a safer option...and for now, KB947821 is not required to update.

also, remember, you can delete more with vlite to shrink it further as my lastsession templates only remove a minimal amount

Edited by dead0, 12 March 2011 - 04:16 PM.

ThePegass

ThePegass
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 16-January 10
dead0: Hi, I have a problem (look at screenshot). I did everything following your guide to prepair image:

- Installed WAIK 2.0
- Ticked RW, Commit. Mounted image (original install.wim) using Gimagex with image 4 (x64).
- Unmounted image with Commint changes ticked.
- Uninstalled WAIK 2.0.
- Restarted Windows.
- Installed WAIK 1.1.
- Mounted image using Gimagex with image 4 (x64).
- Used tweak.exe /m. Ok.
- Started dism7x64.bat (c:\s1\sources) downloaded from first post of this thread.
After removed few packages it give me this error:
Attached File  Capture.JPG   156.17KB   124 downloads

...what I´m doing wrong?

Hybrid Keyrayder

Hybrid Keyrayder

• 19 posts
  • Joined 27-September 07
I have the same problem as ThePegass. Followed the same steps too.

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06
looks like the install.wim hasn't been prepped properly. uninstall waik 1.1 and restart. startup regedit and go here: HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services and delete the wimfltr key. if you start vlite, it should ask to install the wimfilter, cancel the installation, this just ensures the waik 1.1 wimfltr has been removed. install waik 2.0. open a cmd prompt that points to your waik folder where imagex.exe resides (probably c:\program files\windows aik\tools\servicing\amd64\) and then enter "wimmountinstall /uninstall" once done enter "wimmountinstall /install" without quotes. copy gimagex to where imagex.exe is and start mounting and unmounting as in the first post. the unmounting should take a while, if its under a minute then it has not worked.

gendouhydeist

gendouhydeist

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 02-January 07
After Trimming SP1, installing W7 using Flash drive doesn't work on me anymore... it gives error in selecting partition drive to install.

xpJohnson

xpJohnson

Junior

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 01-January 09
Well after installing all my software and doing my daily uses, I have ran into a problem. I am missing usbser.sys and can't install it either. Usbser.sys is used for virtual com ports via usb. I downloaded KB925681 and can't install this hotfix. Any ideas on what to do? I may have to start all over with my install.

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

Well after installing all my software and doing my daily uses, I have ran into a problem. I am missing usbser.sys and can't install it either. Usbser.sys is used for virtual com ports via usb. I downloaded KB925681 and can't install this hotfix. Any ideas on what to do? I may have to start all over with my install.

if you removed modem support, that could be the reason why as the only driver i could find that almost matches it is brusbser.sys which is the driver from brother modem in brmfport.inf in the driverstore. ive searched the winsxs folder and could not locate usbser.sys. even with modem support removed, the brusbser.sys is still in the system32\drivers folder.

ps from what i can gather usbser.sys is not part of windows 7 and its actually installed by 3rd party drivers?

Edited by dead0, 16 March 2011 - 04:32 PM.

xpJohnson

xpJohnson

Junior

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 01-January 09
actually it is in all windows since 98'. It win7 it is in winsxs\amd64_mdmcpq.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_d13aa360cb6ad78e and driverstore\filerepository/mdmcpq.inf_amd64_neutral_fbc4a14a6a13d0c8.

The winsxs you are deleting. I am assuming this deletes the driverstore because that folder was missing. I copied over and am still having problems so I think there are some dependencies to work with it as well.

This driver is for various things like usb wifi cards and virtual com ports with a usb-232 converter.

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

actually it is in all windows since 98'. It win7 it is in winsxs\amd64_mdmcpq.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_d13aa360cb6ad78e and driverstore\filerepository/mdmcpq.inf_amd64_neutral_fbc4a14a6a13d0c8.

The winsxs you are deleting. I am assuming this deletes the driverstore because that folder was missing. I copied over and am still having problems so I think there are some dependencies to work with it as well.

This driver is for various things like usb wifi cards and virtual com ports with a usb-232 converter.

the batch only deletes the winsxs not the driverstore except for some remaining drivers. the usbser.sys is part of the compaq modem drivers so if remove the package Microsoft-Windows-Common-Modem-Drivers-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514 with dism, it removes the modem drivers from the driverstore. i believe since vista, usbser.sys is not installed as default but part of the extra drivers. so you will need to keep that package and modem support in vlite.

xpJohnson

xpJohnson

Junior

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 01-January 09
It is installed by default. That is how I got those folder names. I installed a virgin sp1 and got it.

ThePegass

ThePegass
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 16-January 10

looks like the install.wim hasn't been prepped properly. uninstall waik 1.1 and restart. startup regedit and go here: HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services and delete the wimfltr key. if you start vlite, it should ask to install the wimfilter, cancel the installation, this just ensures the waik 1.1 wimfltr has been removed. install waik 2.0. open a cmd prompt that points to your waik folder where imagex.exe resides (probably c:\program files\windows aik\tools\servicing\amd64\) and then enter "wimmountinstall /uninstall" once done enter "wimmountinstall /install" without quotes. copy gimagex to where imagex.exe is and start mounting and unmounting as in the first post. the unmounting should take a while, if its under a minute then it has not worked.

Still not working. Unmountig take about 1min 30sec. and dism give me still error. So I tried solution in this topic http://www.msfn.org/...-win7-sp1-msdn/ .
With no WAIK installed, using Gimagex only (Apply Tab, Capture Tab) I created install.wim. This install.wim is now compatible with WAIK 1.1, vLite, dism and batch removal working fine.

I dont know why, but mounting/unmounting not worked for me.

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

Still not working. Unmountig take about 1min 30sec. and dism give me still error. So I tried solution in this topic http://www.msfn.org/...-win7-sp1-msdn/ .
With no WAIK installed, using Gimagex only (Apply Tab, Capture Tab) I created install.wim. This install.wim is now compatible with WAIK 1.1, vLite, dism and batch removal working fine.

I dont know why, but mounting/unmounting not worked for me.

thats great, i'll update my first post. this seems an easier way

dark79

dark79

• 10 posts
  • Joined 25-November 07

dead0: Hi, I have a problem (look at screenshot). I did everything following your guide to prepair image:

- Installed WAIK 2.0
- Ticked RW, Commit. Mounted image (original install.wim) using Gimagex with image 4 (x64).
- Uninstalled WAIK 2.0.
- Restarted Windows.
- Installed WAIK 1.1.
- Used tweak.exe /m. Ok.
- Started dism7x64.bat (c:\s1\sources) downloaded from first post of this thread.
After removed few packages it give me this error:
Attached File  Capture.JPG   156.17KB   124 downloads

...what I´m doing wrong?

I get the same problem. It always occurs when dism tries to remove "Microsoft-Windows-Backup-Package" which is very early in the batch file. It errors at about 95% and then causes the "image is no longer serviceable" error for the rest of the dism commands.

I unmounted without committing changes, removed that line in the batch file, remounted and re-ran the batch file. It makes it all the way through without the error.

Edit: Also happens at "Microsoft-Windows-Shell-InboxGames-Package" and "Microsoft-Windows-SystemRestore-Package"

Edit 2: I have a few packages commented out that I keep, so this error may happen elsewhere, too.

Edited by dark79, 18 March 2011 - 05:11 AM.

Hybrid Keyrayder

Hybrid Keyrayder

• 19 posts
  • Joined 27-September 07
Using ThePegass sollution, I managed to create the iso successfully. I tested in vmware and the only problem i have is at the finishing stage where it configures all the settings. When it gets to "setup is starting services...", a pop-up displays "Windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer, retsrat the installation."

dark79

dark79

• 10 posts
  • Joined 25-November 07
I gave up trying to get this to work with WAIK 1.1 / vLite. Sure it's faster, but there are too many problems with it.

Switched to WAIK 2.0 / RT7Lite and it's super SLOOOOW but I don't get the dism errors from before and I don't get errors after installing windows.

Still using the same batch files. The only difference is that I had to add 2 lines to the batch removal to take ownership of the windows folders/files otherwise I'd get "access is denied" errors.

alvinkhorfire

alvinkhorfire

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 11-May 08
dark79

Do you mind sharing the 2 lines of the command here? Thanks.

dead0

Can I use wim tweak while WAIK for Windows 7 is installed? Or, can it only be used when WAIK for Windows Vista is installed? Thanks.

dark79

dark79

• 10 posts
  • Joined 25-November 07
I found someone with the same problem in another thread and they suggested I added the following lines:

takeown /f windows /r /d y
icacls windows /grant administrators:F /T

I put these after line 18 (echo on) so that they run before the winsxs delete commands

It makes the batch file run twice as long though because it has to go through the whole Windows directory. I could have edited it to only take ownership of the folders that had problems, but I was lazy :)

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

Using ThePegass sollution, I managed to create the iso successfully. I tested in vmware and the only problem i have is at the finishing stage where it configures all the settings. When it gets to "setup is starting services...", a pop-up displays "Windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer, retsrat the installation."

did you keep anything extra in vlite that was checked for removal in my lastsession.ini? did you also select winsxs removal in vlite?

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

I gave up trying to get this to work with WAIK 1.1 / vLite. Sure it's faster, but there are too many problems with it.

Switched to WAIK 2.0 / RT7Lite and it's super SLOOOOW but I don't get the dism errors from before and I don't get errors after installing windows.

Still using the same batch files. The only difference is that I had to add 2 lines to the batch removal to take ownership of the windows folders/files otherwise I'd get "access is denied" errors.

have you tried the alternate method posted by bapt to prep the image? the link to his post is in the first post of this topic

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

dark79

Do you mind sharing the 2 lines of the command here? Thanks.

dead0

Can I use wim tweak while WAIK for Windows 7 is installed? Or, can it only be used when WAIK for Windows Vista is installed? Thanks.

wim tweak does work with waik for 7 but does take ages for the package removal

Hybrid Keyrayder

Hybrid Keyrayder

• 19 posts
  • Joined 27-September 07

did you keep anything extra in vlite that was checked for removal in my lastsession.ini? did you also select winsxs removal in vlite?

Lastsession is unchanged and I tried with and without winsxs removal in vlite and it gives me the same error.

Using your dism and lastsession only (without applying your batch removal), I get this error: Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware

Edited by Hybrid Keyrayder, 23 March 2011 - 02:47 PM.

dark79

dark79

• 10 posts
  • Joined 25-November 07

have you tried the alternate method posted by bapt to prep the image? the link to his post is in the first post of this topic

Yeah, but certain packages error during removal with dism causing the "image is no longer serviceable" errors. If I stick with WAIK1.1 they have to stay in. If I use WAIK 2.0 they can be removed without errors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN