Need a little help to understand the procedure...

Hey ladies and gentlemen.

I have been a member for some years and now I trying to learn the procedure of booting and installing Win XP Pro from USB.

Have been reading up i this subforum, but I nevertheless have some simple basic questions to ask. I know how to work nLite, like it and use it, and I have absolutely no problems to get a install from a cd to work.

I really like to connect to/join the install process at the time where I can adjust the different partitions (picture attached) and then run the installation as I use to do it from the cd.

Could anyone explain if this is possible and which thread/method I should focus on.

Big thanx in advance

/SwedenXP :angel

post-7473-0-88470600-1299183922_thumb.jp

...I really like to connect to/join the install process at the time where I can adjust the different partitions (picture attached)...

Can you elaborate on this one, what do you mean? All methods in this subforum will get you to that screen...

Thanx ilko_t!

After reading about the different versions of usb installs I thougt that they all went direct through this part of the install (in with the usb, smack - bang everything ready after a standard install)... my languageproblem I see now.

So - after all I have a couple of different medthods to choose from - my I ask for a recommendation - the first sticky by cdob looks pretty nice - since I work with completed isos (winxppro, 32bit). Have you any idea which method is most stable?

Have you any idea which method is most stable?

All the issues are NOT about "stability" but rather about "compatibility" and "convenience".

Rather obviously utilities developed since a couple of years are more and more widely tested on different hardware and have been "refined" and "adjusted" to be compatible with the most hardware and "uncommon" versions of XP.

The more recent ones have had less testing and may be need such refinements/corrections.

The newish method by cdob is the one potentially more "convenient" in the sense that you can use an UNMODIFIED .iso and need NOT a large amount of RAM:

a spin-off, more detailed, is here:

http://sites.google.com/site/rmprepusb/tutorials/install-xp-from-an-iso

But obviously your mileage may vary.

Just try it, if it works for you, GOOD :thumbup , if it doesn't, please report the problem you get, so that it can be corrected or a workaround found.

Life is "trying things to see if they work"

;)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

@jaclaz

Tried the version described on the googlepage - creating the usb-installation seems to work - but got smacked on the head when I was about to launch the install in the latest virtualbox - the VB-bios does not allow usb-boot....

Has anyone a tip for a virtualization software that allows booting from usb?

SwedenXP

@jaclaz

Tried the version described on the googlepage - creating the usb-installation seems to work - but got smacked on the head when I was about to launch the install in the latest virtualbox - the VB-bios does not allow usb-boot....

Has anyone a tip for a virtualization software that allows booting from usb?

SwedenXP

Unfortunately you have to test this on "real hardware", as Virtual Machines, besides the USB limitation, may have other "features" or "peculiarities" that do conflict in these "particular" cases (USB booting, and install from USB).

Additionally if I remember correctly Virtualbox has a bug in drive enumeration that prevents some of the approaches (not necessarily this particular one, but I do suspect it :unsure:):

BUT :), this particular method, though named "How to install XP onto a Hard Disk from an XP ISO on a bootable USB drive" and actually intended for that, could be named:

"How to install XP onto a partition on first Hard Disk from an XP ISO on a bootable disk temporarily set as first disk" as it does NOT use/need "particular" USB settings.

In practice, you can try it in Qemu (+Qemu Manager, recommended):

http://www.davereyn.co.uk/download.htm

by mapping the USB stick as \\.\PhysicalDrive as 1st hard disk and the VM hard disk as second and later "promote" the VM disk to which you installed the XP to 1st one.

Some reference:

http://reboot.pro/9688/

http://reboot.pro/8581/

jaclaz

Well... I will definitely try it on "real hardware" the next MS update - next week. And now I have some reading to do during the weekend... Thanx!

Question - If and when this method works - which I hope - the only change I have to do when reinstalling a machine is to copy my updated .iso file to the usb stick and run the install. The XP.ISO is fully exchangeable?

SwedenXP

Question - If and when this method works - which I hope - the only change I have to do when reinstalling a machine is to copy my updated .iso file to the usb stick and run the install. The XP.ISO is fully exchangeable?

It should be, in the sense that the tutorial is born with the idea of using "kosher" UNMODIFIED source .iso's, if (besides the actual integrated Service Packs) you actually modify them (like nlite, driverspack, unatttended and what not) it makes little sense, and another method, NOT using a .iso will save you the time to recreate the .iso.

As well it is very possible that new KB's integrated may "break" the compatibility.

Mind you I am not saying that any of the above will create a problem, only that it is possible that it may do so.

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...