Installation Sources

Slinkie

The registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

appears to control where WinXP looks for DLL and SYS files for newly connected PnP devices

via the sub keys DriverPath and Installation Sources and SourcePath.

Before connecting the device I have manually placed the needed files in the directories:

The INF file for the device in C:\Windows\INF

The DLL file for the device in C:\Windows\System32

The SYS file for the device in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

I obtained the files by first installing the device on an unmodified WinXP computer and

copying them to the computer in question.

The PnP wizard detects the new device. The "Install The Software Automatically" option

will find the SYS file but when the wizard looks for the DLL file I must manually use the

"Copy Files From" option and point the search to C:\Windows\System32

if another SYS file is needed I must manually point the search to C:\Windows\ System32\Drivers

If another DLL is needed I must manually point the search to C:\Windows\System32

My question is this: Is there some way to make the wizard look first in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

and if not found there to continue to look in In C:\Windows\System32

In other words and more simply... multiple search paths without user intervention.

Hope this makes sense. Lot of words for something simple

Driver Cache, i386 and all the places where a normal WinXP system might look do not exist

in my very modified WinXP Pro.

I want to manually copy the INF and DLL and SYS files their places and have PnP find them

automatically without user intervention in the Found New Hardware Wizard.

Can better brains than I have help?

Slinkie

I guess it's like pointing to an installation disk, it expects everything to be there and won't search in the parent directory. Though this has nothing to do with nLite, more with Unattended XP. I don't mean that nLite is not about "unattended XP" but it has no option to do what you want, it only could implement the reg tweak that you'll have to find out.