Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Best Way To Slipstream Updates?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

oilernut

oilernut

• 16 posts
  • Joined 10-October 05
Hey,

Just was wondering if the way I slipstream updates into wim files is the best method.

I download all the msu updates and then extract the updates one by one using the following command in a batch file:

expand "blah1.msu" -F:* c:\extract
expand "blah2.msu" -F:* c:\extract
expand "blah3.msu" -F:* c:\extract

I then go into the c:\extract folder and delete everything except for the cab files that were extracted.

I run WSIM and mount the wim file and create a xml answer file with all the cab files included.

After that I run the following batch file to integrate the updates into the wim:
dism /mount-wim /wimfile:c:\extract\install.wim /index:1 /mountdir:c:\mount /quiet
echo %errorlevel%
start /wait "" pkgmgr /n:"c:\extract\updates-x86.xml" /o:c:\mount;c:\mount\windows /s:c:\sandbox
echo %errorlevel%
dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:c:\mount /commit /quiet
echo %errorlevel%

Is there a better process in doing this? Is there a better way or more efficient way?

Edited by oilernut, 15 March 2011 - 12:54 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

grabben

grabben

-Grabben

• PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Joined 20-December 09
Why expand msu's? Just use /Add-package command to integrate them:)

oilernut

oilernut

• 16 posts
  • Joined 10-October 05

Why expand msu's? Just use /Add-package command to integrate them:)

Something like this after i mount the image?
dism /image:c:\mount /add-package /packagepath:C:\extract\blah1.msu /packagepath:C:\extract\blah2.msu

ricktendo

ricktendo

Group: Banned Members

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Joined 06-June 06
You dont have to specifiy each and every msu, just place them ALL in a single folder and use only the path to the folder in /packagepath

/packagepath:<path_to_folder>

grabben

grabben

-Grabben

• PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Joined 20-December 09

You dont have to specifiy each and every msu, just place them ALL in a single folder and use only the path to the folder in /packagepath

/packagepath:<path_to_folder>

What he wrote. packapgepath is good if you want to integrate specific packages but if you want them all, its the <path to folder>

oilernut

oilernut

• 16 posts
  • Joined 10-October 05
Well finally had time today to try this method out and no go...

/Add-Package /PackagePath:<path_to_package>

Installs a specified .cab package in the image. Multiple packages can be
added on one command line.
/PackagePath can point to either a .cab file or a folder.

Examples:
DISM.exe /Image:C:\test\offline /Add-Package
/PackagePath:C:\test\packages

DISM.exe /Image:C:\test\offline /Add-Package
/PackagePath:C:\test\packages\package.cab

Tried pointing it to the folder with the msu files and failed, so I tried pointing it to the extracted cab files failed as well.

gunsmokingman

gunsmokingman

MSFN Master

• Super Moderator
  • 2,433 posts
  • Joined 02-August 03
Here is a Link that list DISM commands.

GunSmokingMan

maxvre

maxvre
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 02-March 09
Yes as above, easiest way is to use dism command to add all msu's found inside a specified folder. For example:

dism /image:C:\Users\max\Desktop\win7lab\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\Users\max\Desktop\win7lab\updates32"

This single line adds every msu file found inside the updates32 folder to the mounted wim file automatically. I just download all the msu's and put them in the folder. Then after mounting my wim using dism, I run this command and watch it install them one after the other all automatically.

Edited by maxvre, 31 March 2011 - 03:06 PM.

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,889 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03

dism /image:C:\Users\max\Desktop\win7lab\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\Users\max\Desktop\win7lab\updates32"

This single line adds every msu file found inside the updates32 folder to the mounted wim file automatically.

That will also add all .cab from same folder

oilernut all you need is the folder
Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
Jump2Reg - Registry: - Oct 4, 2013 - Version 3.0.4 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8+ and 32 or 64 bit

XP Unattended CD/DVD creator - Version 4.1.7
Sample xml + Setupcomplete + Add Right click .wim Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1

marcusj0015

marcusj0015

• PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Joined 05-July 09
the ABSOULTE best way, is to install standard windows 7, then install all your apps and drivers, and updates, and everything, then capture the image

Mike89

Mike89

• 25 posts
  • Joined 23-November 03

http://www.sevenforu...tion-media.html

I used it to add windows updates to my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 iso. Worked perfectly.

Edited by Mike89, 13 September 2013 - 01:46 PM.

I7 3770K @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 DVD Burners, 2 WD 640 gig HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB Readycashe SSD, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64

Octopuss

Octopuss

I am the walrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Joined 31-January 07

Donator

Nice necro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users