When is Disk 0 not Disk 0?

bookie32

Hi again!

Sounds like the to be or not to be ....OK! this is strange! I have my main windows disk connected to Sata 1 on the mobo and the others Sata 2 etc. When I go into windows and check the order of my disks they wont give my Windows as disk 0?!!

Am I missing something simple here? I even thought they maybe made a mistake with labeling the Sata connectors...nope?!

Windows 7 is working fine...just don't understand why it is classed as disk 0...

Please put me out of my misery someone...... :w00t:

bookie32

Disk enumeration is not equal along all hardware, this I have seen. Mostly on notebooks and desktops with card readers. I remember a specific case of a Compal notebook that wouldn't always detect the HDD as Disk 0. When the WinPE boots, it takes the first "disk" returned by the BIOS as Disk 0. Some hardware may have delays or different enumeration orders during the boot process. In some cases the card reader would enumerate before the hard disk would. Also some systems may enumerate a USB key before the SATA port.

I remember a case in point where I booted up 5 notebooks at the same time, and 4 had the hard disk as Disk 0 and one had the card reader as Disk 0. I was so happy when we stopped using those. :yes:

Hi Tripredacus!

Yes, I hear what you are saying...in this case I think the culprit is a HDD (Sata), but am still working on that one......

I will look at it a little closer as soon as I get a mo...Just plain irritating!!

bookie32