Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Change Internet Explorer's Icon back to default

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Chris Lee

Chris Lee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Joined 30-January 04
So I was applying dameks' skin, but then it changed some of my icons, I am currently using the Modern view of the Start Panel, it changed the Printer's Icon back to a folder icon. It changed my Internet Explorer icon on my desktop to one that looks like Posted Image. I made a seperate icon(one that has a arrow in the bottom), searched for the icon from the property panel of the shortcut, and then I saw the IE icon. Now I want to set the original Internet Explorer icon back to original, I tried setting my Theme to xp orig, but nothing worked. Any ideas?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

FthrJACK

FthrJACK

I am a PC...

• Patrons
  • 3,394 posts
  • Joined 16-August 01
yeah, dont mess with it again.

hehe :)

Not a clue to be honest.

Chris Lee

Chris Lee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Joined 30-January 04

yeah, dont mess with it again.

hehe :)

Not a clue to be honest.

I didn't mess with it. I found the theme on Themexp.org and I installed it, and I uninstalled it with it's own uninstaller. I just want it back to default.

Metallica1

Metallica1

Junior

• Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 13-December 03
right click - properties- change icon - %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll - there are all the defaut icons

note: cut and paste this for location %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll don't change it

hope this helps
My PC
HP Pavilion 735n
2600+ AMD Athlon Xo Processor (2.13GHz)
512 MB DRR Ram
Nvidia GeForce4
7 in 1 Media Card Reader ( o yea lol)

Chris Lee

Chris Lee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Joined 30-January 04
I'd wish it was only that easy. That method changes for the Copies of shortcuts of Internet explorer, but not the main icon itself, it shows the Web Options Panel for IE if you press property].

leeleeleelee

leeleeleelee

• PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Joined 20-October 03
Give repair icons in TweakUI a go?
Posted Image

Chris Lee

Chris Lee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Joined 30-January 04
I installed TWEAKUI and' I will try.

Edit: I tried, the desktop seemed to refresh itself, but the IExplore icon is still the same unknown format pic icon.

Any better way? I tried a sfc /scannow, did nothing..

Edited by Chris Lee, 14 February 2004 - 12:02 AM.

leeleeleelee

leeleeleelee

• PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Joined 20-October 03
I found this in my registry.

;IE Icon DameK theme
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon]@="C:\\Windows\\Resources\\Themes\\DameK UltraBlue\\Icons\\Internet Explorer.ico"

I changed it to this.

;IE Icon System Default
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon]@="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\shdoclc.dll,0"

I got the default icon. Good luck.
Posted Image

Chris Lee

Chris Lee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Joined 30-January 04
Hmm...Nope, however I see that it's in %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll too. Is there a way to use the cd to somehow scan it and fix it. I tried the above...nope. I tried original theme, nope.

Sunil

Sunil

• PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Joined 24-June 03

So I was applying dameks' skin, but then it changed some of my icons, I am currently using the Modern view of the Start Panel, it changed the Printer's Icon back to a folder icon. It changed my Internet Explorer icon on my desktop to one that looks like Posted Image. I made a seperate icon(one that has a arrow in the bottom), searched for the icon from the property panel of the shortcut, and then I saw the IE icon. Now I want to set the original Internet Explorer icon back to original, I tried setting my Theme to xp orig, but nothing worked. Any ideas?

did you use tweakui's rebuild icon cache.

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,889 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
Try my method here
http://www.MSFN.org/...showtopic=15067
Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
Jump2Reg - Registry: - Oct 4, 2013 - Version 3.0.4 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8+ and 32 or 64 bit

XP Unattended CD/DVD creator - Version 4.1.7
Sample xml + Setupcomplete + Add Right click .wim Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1

Chris Lee

Chris Lee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Joined 30-January 04

I installed TWEAKUI and' I will try.

Edit: I tried, the desktop seemed to refresh itself, but the IExplore icon is still the same unknown format pic icon.

Any better way? I tried a sfc /scannow, did nothing..

I tried the rebuild icons but did nothing.

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,889 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
Then do the reinstall method from the link i posted. Just close it then run that command, I don't think you lose anything but a few minutes.
Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
Jump2Reg - Registry: - Oct 4, 2013 - Version 3.0.4 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8+ and 32 or 64 bit

leeleeleelee

leeleeleelee

• PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Joined 20-October 03

Hmm...Nope, however I see that it's in %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll too. Is there a way to use the cd to somehow scan it and fix it. I tried the above...nope. I tried original theme, nope.

I see shell32.dll has one too but there're too many there to pick the right number.
Do you mean to say you don't have shdoclc.dll file? PM me if you want me to email it to you.
Posted Image

leeleeleelee

leeleeleelee

• PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Joined 20-October 03
BTW Chris,

Did you originally have the DefaultIcon key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}?

If yes, delete it. BECAREFUL to delete only DefaultIcon key and ALSO backup/export it first, just in case. Close Regedit and refresh desktop.

I think the DefaultIcon key was put in there by the ThemeXP program.
Posted Image

Chris Lee

Chris Lee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Joined 30-January 04

Then do the reinstall method from the link i posted. Just close it then run that command, I don't think you lose anything but a few minutes.

I have tried that, the installation starts and ends fine. But I don't see any changes for the icon.

BTW Chris,

Did you originally have the DefaultIcon key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}?

If yes, delete it. BECAREFUL to delete only DefaultIcon key and ALSO backup/export it first, just in case. Close Regedit and refresh desktop.

I think the DefaultIcon key was put in there by the ThemeXP program

I tried deleting, dont seem to have work.

QUOTE (Chris Lee @ Feb 15 2004, 02:45 AM)

I see shell32.dll has one too but there're too many there to pick the right number.
Do you mean to say you don't have shdoclc.dll file? PM me if you want me to email it to you.

I have this shdoclc.dll file, but what can I do? I see the IE icon there, just nothing for me to fix.

Posted Image

^^ I'm just using that icon as a example, because the original IE icon without (shortcut arrow) on the desktop, doesn't allow you to go into property(like Usual lnks).

Also, .HTML format's icons is differnent, and now shows a "Unassociated file", but when I click on it, it works..this is really strange. Is there a way to return every icon, skin, and everything to default like a new computer?(no reformat needed)

leeleeleelee

leeleeleelee

• PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Joined 20-October 03
I see you are using the Chinese edition XP. Things could be different.

You have the shdoclc.dll file, that's good. Now go to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon
If you don't have the DefaultIcon subkey, make one up. Then right click on DefaultIcon key and select new String Value. On the right pane, double click on (Defualt). Type "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll,0" (without the quotes) in the Value data field. The "0" is the position of the icon. You can change that number and you'll get a different icon. Close Regedit and refresh desktop.
Posted Image

Chris Lee

Chris Lee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Joined 30-January 04

I see you are using the Chinese edition XP. Things could be different.

You have the shdoclc.dll file, that's good. Now go to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon
If you don't have the DefaultIcon subkey, make one up. Then right click on DefaultIcon key and select new String Value. On the right pane, double click on (Defualt). Type "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll,0" (without the quotes) in the Value data field. The "0" is the position of the icon. You can change that number and you'll get a different icon. Close Regedit and refresh desktop.

Uh..This entry is the same as the one I had deleted before. I just reimported this key, and it had no differences whatsoever. Is there a way I can point the icon at a pic that actually works?

Posted Image

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,889 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
OK think everything been tried but this,
Right click desktop = Choose Properties
Select the desktop tab up top
Choose Customize Desktop
Under the General Tab in there you can try a few things,
On Desktop Icons select the Internet Explorer, uncheck it then back out with Ok/Apply whatever till you're to Desktop. Now go back in and select it again. If the registry entries are messed up this may not work but worth a shot.

One last thing which I just found
If Shell is set to anything except "Explorer.exe" in this key then desktop icons can be corrupted. Check that key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon", "Shell", "Explorer.exe", REG_SZ

Chris Lee

Chris Lee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Joined 30-January 04

OK think everything been tried but this,
Right click desktop = Choose Properties
Select the desktop tab up top
Choose Customize Desktop
Under the General Tab in there you can try a few things,
On Desktop Icons select the Internet Explorer, uncheck it then back out with Ok/Apply whatever till you're to Desktop. Now go back in and select it again. If the registry entries are messed up this may not work but worth a shot.

One last thing which I just found
If Shell is set to anything except "Explorer.exe" in this key then desktop icons can be corrupted. Check that key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon", "Shell", "Explorer.exe", REG_SZ

nope. :) :cry: don't work. This can't be it. This stupid skin can't just do this to me. this is so stupid.

My Shell is explorer.exe, and I tried the 1st method before.

isn't there a reset of the gui? Like the wallpaper, theme, icons...

leeleeleelee

leeleeleelee

• PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Joined 20-October 03
Sorry to add something minor here.
I presume you refreshed the Desktop each time you made the changes.
Posted Image

Chris Lee

Chris Lee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Joined 30-January 04
Yes, I have.

leeleeleelee

leeleeleelee

• PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Joined 20-October 03
Chris,
Something else to look into. Look for this key.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}

Notice it is now in *Current_User*. If there is one, there may be a DefaultIcon key in there as well. The data in the (Default) value may be what's causing the key in HKLM not to work. Blank out that data (or delete the DefaultIcon key, or even delete the whole {871C...} key, cause mine wasn't there before but now I use it to change my IE name) and delete the DefaultIcon key in HKLM, if it's still there, ie.

Hopefully this time it works. :)
Posted Image

Chris Lee

Chris Lee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Joined 30-January 04

Chris,
Something else to look into. Look for this key.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}

Notice it is now in *Current_User*. If there is one, there may be a DefaultIcon key in there as well. The data in the (Default) value may be what's causing the key in HKLM not to work. Blank out that data (or delete the DefaultIcon key, or even delete the whole {871C...} key, cause mine wasn't there before but now I use it to change my IE name) and delete the DefaultIcon key in HKLM, if it's still there, ie.

Hopefully this time it works.  :)

I believe you're onto something there. that key is pointed at "c:\windows\resources\themes\Damek" Something like that, I deleted it, I pressed rebuild icons in the tweakui. However, still the same.

leeleeleelee

leeleeleelee

• PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Joined 20-October 03
The DefaultIcon key in HKLM deleted?
Refresh desktop? (Focus on desktop F5?)
Don't use TweakUI for the moment.
We are dealing directly with the registry.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN