WIN98SE Network neighborhood problem

soek

Hello all,

I just set up win98SE on an older Machine and try to get network running. that is microsoft network to an XP machine.

XP sees the WIN98 perfectly. (no firewall on xp or win98)

WIN98 network neighborhood says: unable to browse the network

DOS-window: net view, gives error 6118 "The computers sharing resources .......", so it doesnt see anything.

Network setting: Client MS-net, MS-familiy logon, D-link DFE530tx adapter, tcp/ip, file and printer sharing . using DHCP. connected via router. ping works. internet works.

Primary network logon is: Windows logon.

service pack 2.1a installed.

any ideas?

Guest wsxedcrfv

XP sees the WIN98 perfectly. (no firewall on xp or win98)

WIN98 network neighborhood says: unable to browse the network

Your logon method may (windows logon) might be the reason why you can't browse the neighborhood. It might have to be "client for microsoft networks".

You might want to see first if you can ping the XP machine. Without a domain controller, or without sharing anything on the XP machine, I don't think the win-98 machine will see anything on the network neighborhood. On the win-98 machine, go Start, Find, Computer, and type in the IP address of the XP machine.

If that doesn't work, try to Map a network drive on the XP machine from the 98 machine by typing in the IP address of the XP machine followed by "/" followed by the name of the folder that you're sharing on the XP machine.

You should also check the permissions of the shared folder on the XP machine - they need to be set to ALL with full read/write permissions.

I have a mixed network of PC's at my office (two NT4 servers, one Win-2k server, one Server 2008, about a dozen Win-98 / XP / 7 desktop machines, one Apple Macbook laptop, one multi-function fax /scanner / printer) all spread across two or three different domains. The XP machines seem to have the most difficult or troublesome time seeing all the various machines that have open shares.

Thank you for your replys.

When you google about this subject you'll find there is a lot of uncertain guesses about that "thing".

What i find remarkable is, that:

being in network neighborhood and then double clicking on "entire network" gives the instant error message "unable to browse the network".

There is so wait time (for searching).

So there must be something fundamentally wrong.

This is true for MS Family Logon being set to, Client for MS Netw., MS Family Logon and Windows Logon.

By the way, do you actually need the MS family Logon in the Netwrok services?

I just add the fact again, that no "netbios" is enabled. (it should work just with TCP/IP, wouldnt it?)

It should be that you dont get an error message but maybe an empty entry in your Network Group folder. Or even seeing just yourself.

any more ideas please?

Guest wsxedcrfv

any more ideas please?

Requirements for Browsing a Windows Network: http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/brreq.htm

"Unable to Browse the Network" When You Click Network Neighborhood: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260214

Browsing the Network / "Browse Master": http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20040601102213/http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/browse.htm

So you should look into the "Browse Master" setting, or maybe install NETBeui protocol on your win-XP machine.

well, this is going to be tricky.

again: winxp and win98se are connected by cable via a DSLmodem-router (4port-HUB) . The HUB cannot act as a DNS Server, but supports DHCP, which is set on both computers.

A ping ipaddress works both ways.

A ping by name does not work either way.

This maybe the reason they do not see eachother.

??

some progress...:

The reason why these two computers cant see eachother was: node-type

if you run ipconfig/all, there is an entry node-type: peer-peer or something else

on win98se it was : broadcast

on winxp it was: peer-peer

This applys to netbios protocoll being enabled on both computers. On my XP-machine it was set to "peer-peer", on the WIN98se it was "broadcast".

peer-peer means, use WINS protocoll to resolve name to IP conversion.

Broadcast means, send a broadcast to all computers and the one with the given name shall respond giving me its ip-address.

After setting the XP-machine to "broadcast", ping by name worked. To change it in XP you have to change a registry entry....

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters\DhcpNodeType to 1 (broadcast) or 8 (hybrid)

The current status is: XP can access WIN98SE via network-neighb. and transfer files.

WIn98SE cant see the XP-node at all in netw. neighb. ????

Furthermore i understand, that WITHOUT NETBIOS, name to IP resolution would require a working DNS server.

I was thinking that my DSL-router 4-port HUB would supply this. (Zycel router). But wrong. It supplys a DHCP Server but no DNS server for LAN.

All it does is forwarding DNS requests to the ISP providers DNS server, that would probably not know about your LAN- computers names.

Could it be true, that the ISP DNS-server acts as DNS server for the LAN?

addendum...:

On win98se, just tried "Start-Find-Computer: XP-machine".

haa, it works. It then gives you acces to shared folders. You can open files etc.

But. not appearing in Netw. neighb. ??? ooouuu.

Furthermore i understand, that WITHOUT NETBIOS, name to IP resolution would require a working DNS server.

Well im quoting myself ;-)

Has anybody experience in "DSL-router acting as DNS server" ????

Any other Networking scheme besides microsoft network??

Guest wsxedcrfv

Has anybody experience in "DSL-router acting as DNS server" ????

Any other Networking scheme besides microsoft network??

For TCP/IP properties of each of your computers, turn off DHCP and instead assign a static IP for each computer.

On each computer, edit the HOSTS file and enter the chosen IP address of each of the other computers on your LAN, along with the name you've given them.

Now, I'm not sure if it's the HOSTS file or the LMHOSTS file that is supposed to be used for local LAN name resolution, so look at both of those.

You don't need to run a DNS server on your local lan with only a handful of computers when you can use a HOSTS or LMHOSTS file.

Look here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/105997

http://www.myitforum.com/articles/15/view.asp?id=2271

The short answer: they both resolve computer names to IP addresses:

HOSTS = TCP/IP ("universal"; just use it if you don't have a DNS server and/or you have a small -private- TCP/IP network)

LMHOSTS = NetBIOS (Windows networks; use it only within a Windows domain)

The lmhosts file uses Netbios names like "my-computer" and is comparable to the function or operation of a Wins server. The hosts file uses fully qualified names like my-computer.my-domain.com and is a replacement or alternative for a DNS query.

The use of LMHOSTS as a replacement for running a DNS server on a local LAN can only work when the computers on the LAN have static IP addresses. Hence the reason to turn off DHCP in their TCP/IP properties.