Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Feature Requests / Suggestions

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
All suggestions and whatnot to go in here.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Sunil

Sunil

• PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
sorry havent been around for awhile, what is xplode all about....

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

sorry havent been around for awhile, what is xplode all about....

It's the new, completely rewritten XPinstall.

I wasn't terribly happy with more than half of my code, so I decided to rewrite it - figured a name change would be a Good Thing ™ :)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
whoa....someone got there own section of the forum. Man...now i have to check three different places in the forum instead of three different posts...:)

why is the old XPInstall thread locked? Man...now to start a whole new 29 page thread.
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
I locked it so ppl would post in the firum itself, rather than just keep replying. And the fact that XPlode will be released soon, so the XPinstall thread has reached its full usefulness. In theory at least.

Anyways, hopefully I'll have a working version of XPlode later tonight. I don't have any more work to do for the rest of the day, so it's XPlode all the way :)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Rekenaar

Rekenaar

Junior

• Pip
  • 86 posts
How about a countdown timer (optional) for each program to be installed. The user will have a certain number of seconds (variable 1) to decide if a program should be installed or not. If no user interference within the time limit, then the program "should"/"should not" install (variable 2).
Ondersteun Afrikaans!

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
hmm, that seems like a use of conditional statements
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

X-Ecutioner

X-Ecutioner

eXPerience my ass.

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
I think I speak for everyone when I say....How about a %CDROM%/#CDROM# variable from which xplode originates from. Because for me and others makin a multi-boot dvd the systemsource variable isn't as useful as a cdrom variable seeing how the systemsource variable would point to an inner directory like f:\root\xppro.

Keep up the kick-a** work with this kick-a** program
My Gaming Rig... - Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 (2.13ghz) - Asus P5B Deluxe - OCZ 2 GB PC7200 800Mhz Dual Channel DDR2 RAM - ASUS 8800 GT 512MB - Creative Labs Audigy 2 Platinum Ex - 3x 500GB Hard Drive - 8x DL DVD-Burner - XP SP2 / Vista x86 Dual-boot

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

I think I speak for everyone when I say....How about a %CDROM%/#CDROM# variable from which xplode originates from. Because for me and others makin a multi-boot dvd the systemsource variable isn't as useful as a cdrom variable seeing how the systemsource variable would point to an inner directory like f:\root\xppro.

Keep up the kick-a** work with this kick-a** program

I already had plans on adding a %SOURCEDRIVE% variable as well as keeping %SOURCEPATH% - sourcedrive would end up being either the 'G:' or '\\GRAVITY', depending on whether it was a cd install or a network install.

Things are taking longer than expected - I've decided to go with the original XPinstall UI - implementing the rest of it would push it back even further than it is now.

I know I keep saying 'expect a release tonight', then things happen so I can't, so I won't be saying it now. :)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

bombtrack

bombtrack

boooom

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
request :)
atm <hidewindow>Windows Update</hidewindow> can only be used once, and the hide="true" dosnt work anymore, could it be made pssobile to hide several windows in XPlode ?
Posted Image

Sunil

Sunil

• PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

I locked it so ppl would post in the firum itself, rather than just keep replying. And the fact that XPlode will be released soon, so the XPinstall thread has reached its full usefulness. In theory at least.

Anyways, hopefully I'll have a working version of XPlode later tonight. I don't have any more work to do for the rest of the day, so it's XPlode all the way :)

What are some of the features that you are adding to xplode.

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

request :)
atm <hidewindow>Windows Update</hidewindow> can only be used once, and the hide="true" dosnt work anymore, could it be made pssobile to hide several windows in XPlode ?

I had already added/fixed these yesterday :rolleyes:

@Sunil:
http://www.MSFN.org/...c=14040&st=840#

Hmmm. it doesnt' seem to link properly.

Just do a search for " Here's a current preview. " on that page.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Yonderboy

Yonderboy

Senior Newbie

• Pip
  • 85 posts
I would very much like a basic chipset detection (only if it is intel or via, or SiS, nvidia, amd) and then choosing the right package of software - Intel INF update or VIA4in1 or the rest. What would be in the package would only depend on user. :)
Posted Image

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
Sorry, but that's beyond the scope of what XPlode is all about.

It'll just add another level of complexity.

Of course, there's no reason why you can't write your own plugin for it. I'll be releasing the plugin SDK soon, so if you're a coder....
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
just as a suggestion to the chipset detection...find the regitry entry thats unique to it (there is one, just use SEARCH)
run a batch file,...
then use the SETX command to set the variable, then run the appropriate program accordingly by using IF statements. Of course during the OEMPNPDriversPath it only installs the drives neccesary.

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
As a feature request for when someone gets daring....
get a value from theregistry from inside XPLode.

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
I can make a plugin that does that in about 5 minutes. I suppose the only real way to use it right now is as an environment variable... read the reg, add it to the environment variables list. That sufficient?
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Yonderboy

Yonderboy

Senior Newbie

• Pip
  • 85 posts
I suppose it would work.
I believe, that in order to get the most satisfactory results when unattended CD is run, the proces that the CD does, should be as close as possible to original man controlled or at least should bring the same results. And this is exactly what I do first after XP boots for the first time. I make a simple analysis of hardware enviroment and run these chipset packages acording to the chipset present.
Unfortunately Im not a coder. :)
Posted Image

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
well, if documentation comes out to make a plugin and someone writes one for conditional statements, you're chipset question really shouldn't be to hard to remedy with a couple lines of XML

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
Blah.

If you lot want conditional statements, fine.
It's going to be ugly.

At the moment, current thought is it's going to be something like an optional attribtue to each item - condition='%VOIDFX% "true"' (VOIDFX=true). Unfortunately, this has to be handled by XPlode, not the plugin, because of the way the data is stored - there's no way a plugin coder can add conditionals without having to write their own functions to do the same thing that XPlode does - no real capacity for a 'tiered' approach.

If you're happy with that kind of syntax, then I'll add it. Otherwise, I think it's going to be a long way off.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
by the way, i wasn't pushin conditional statements that time.

but the principle would be the same nonthe less from a batch file to do the same job using an if.

Find a unique value in the regsitry, and then run a batch file that checks that values and isntalls the right chipset software accordingly

actually as for syntax that is just fine. I was gonna try to write teh conditional statements plugin when the docs were competed. But like you just said, a plugin can't do that

by write their own functions, you mean like the executing ones?

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

by the way, i wasn't pushin conditional statements that time.

but the principle would be the same nonthe less from a batch file to do the same job using an if.

Find a unique value in the regsitry, and then run a batch file that checks that values and isntalls the right chipset software accordingly

actually as for syntax that is just fine. I was gonna try to write teh conditional statements plugin when the docs were competed. But like you just said, a plugin can't do that

by write their own functions, you mean like the executing ones?

Yep, you'd have to handle the execution of programs yourself, copying of files yourself, etc.
There's no way to call another plugin.

Well, there IS, but it's not easy. You'd have to manually load the plugin, get its exported functions, add callbacks. All icky. But doable.

It probably would be easier for me to add what I stated above.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
i belive its been requested before,.....
but
any idea on the shutdown thing?

the thing is about shutting down is that if you use Shutdown.exe you would have to allow XPlode to continue without waiting for Shutdown to finish, unlike the other programs
possible attribute signal continue or not.

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

i belive its been requested before,.....
but
any idea on the shutdown thing?

the thing is about shutting down is that if you use Shutdown.exe you would have to allow XPlode to continue without waiting for Shutdown to finish, unlike the other programs
possible attribute signal continue or not.

Explain to me again the shutdown request.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

buckeyeXP

buckeyeXP

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Explain to me again the shutdown request.

a way to restart the computer after time is given for the desktop to load for the first time. The problem is that if you ran shutdown.exe from XPlode, XPlode would not unload and the desktop would not have time to load. so if there was a way to release it after the shutdown command was run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN