Big problem with BlackWingCat's AHCI drivers for AMD

I have a Foxconn ML76-K 3.0 motherboard with AMD 760G chipset. I want to use BlackWingCat's drivers for AMD available here:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/844979.html

There are 4 versions available:

The problem is that when I install one of the last three, ie. 127, 155 or 53 the shutdown command does not work properly. The system seems to shut down but the PC does not power off - the screen goes off but fans are still working and I have to manually turn it off by long press of the power button.

On the other hand, 25 works but it's painfully slow. In terms of boot time 53 is definitely the fastest one and it's the one I want to use. When using 25 system boots almost 20-25 seconds slower than when using 53 :(

To summarise - I want to use 53 but shutdown/reboot does not work. 25 works properly but it's very slow in terms of boot time. Enhanced IDE instead of AHCI is fast in terms of booting time (almost the same as 53) but transfers are noticeably slower and instable compared to AHCI.

Are these drivers buggy? :huh: Are there maybe other drivers available for this chipset that work under Win2k?

Help please :angel

Edited by tomasz86

This is just a longshot , but you might:

(i) Try disabling the following statements contained in ahcix86.inf (from v.3.2.1540.53) , by prepending a semicolon to them (here indicated in bold red)...

; HKR, Settings\CAM, CAMTimeOutValue, 0x00010001, 0x00000005

; HKR, Settings\CAM, EnableAN, 0x00010001, 0x00000001

Or you might delete those two values from the registry, after the driver is installed (but do save the key by exporting it, before deleting anything)... they should be at HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\ahcix86\Settings\CAM.

This page elsewhere may be relevant, too, even if indirectly.

(ii) Or, even easier, although less subtle, install v. 3.1.1540.25 (the one that works), then, manually, while booted from DOS or Linux, rename ahcix86.sys (v. 3.1.1540.25) to ahcix86.025 and add ahcix86.sys (v. 3.2.1540.53) to the same folder, which should be %windir%/SYSTEM32/DRIVERS, and then boot windows again and see what happens.

Either of these suggestions may just work, but may also mess things up. So do it at your own risk, or don't even try it.

I tried all your suggestions and also did a manual install of all of these drivers but still the only one working is the slow one, ie. version 25. I even tried using the .inf file from 25 and the driver from 53 but the problem of not shutting down properly is still present.

I think the problem lies inside the driver (ahci86.sys) file, not in the .inf one or the system registry.

I really hope there is a solution :(

Still I will probably continue to use the 53 version and shut the PC down manually as it's just much faster than the older driver (25).

I would be really thankful if anyone with suitable knowledge could edit the newer drivers to work properly under Win2k. :unsure:

Edited by tomasz86

I haven't tried AMD 760G but 3.2.1540.53 works fine with my 790GX/SB750 and 890GX/SB850

My Asus 790GX had a power-off problem but I doubt yours is related to the AHCI driver. Hibernation (notoriously slow in win2k) is VERY fast too, about equal to XP.

Mine has SB710 and I'm 100% sure that this issue is related to the AHCI driver as everything works perfectly when I switch back to the 3.1.1540.25 version of the driver.

Apart from the slow booting of course...

Mine has SB710 and I'm 100% sure that this issue is related to the AHCI driver as everything works perfectly when I switch back to the 3.1.1540.25 version of the driver.

Apart from the slow booting of course...

Not sure what you mean, by the time you get to power-off stage there's no OS or any drivers loaded.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

If there is some other version XP Driver as you want to try , then I'll migrate to Windows 2000.

I have a Foxconn ML76-K 3.0 motherboard with AMD 760G chipset. I want to use BlackWingCat's drivers for AMD available here:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/844979.html

There are 4 versions available:

The problem is that when I install one of the last three, ie. 127, 155 or 53 the shutdown command does not work properly. The system seems to shut down but the PC does not power off - the screen goes off but fans are still working and I have to manually turn it off by long press of the power button.

On the other hand, 25 works but it's painfully slow. In terms of boot time 53 is definitely the fastest one and it's the one I want to use. When using 25 system boots almost 20-25 seconds slower than when using 53 :(

To summarise - I want to use 53 but shutdown/reboot does not work. 25 works properly but it's very slow in terms of boot time. Enhanced IDE instead of AHCI is fast in terms of booting time (almost the same as 53) but transfers are noticeably slower and instable compared to AHCI.

Are these drivers buggy? :huh: Are there maybe other drivers available for this chipset that work under Win2k?

Help please :angel

Yes, I tried every combination possible and the only one working is the one containing 3.1.1540.25 sys file. The inf file doesn't seem to matter at all.

Anyway, I 'fixed' this problem by connecting all hard drives to the PCI-E SAS Controller so I don't need the AMD AHCI drivers anymore.