Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Building a new computer

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,561 posts

Donator

The complete catalog of RLoew's patches and related products is available here.
Among them, in the Prerelease and Beta Softwre, is the freeware CDFS patch to make Win 9x show the correct size for DVDs, which I consider precious.

@ RLoew: BTW, what about SATA CD/DVD drives? Does Win 9x/ME support them natively? Is a patch needed? Did you test any?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

@ RLoew: BTW, what about SATA CD/DVD drives? Does Win 9x/ME support them natively? Is a patch needed? Did you test any?

Windows 9x supports SATA CD/DVD drives in the same way it supports SATA Hard Drives. My Patch is needed under the same circumstances.
Add-on Card Firmware and/or Third Party Software may or may not support CD/DVD Drives.
I just tested my JMicron PCI-E SATA 2 Card with my Patch and it works.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

Resistere pro causa resistentiam.

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 798 posts

Donator

Windows 9x supports SATA CD/DVD drives in the same way it supports SATA Hard Drives. My Patch is needed under the same circumstances.

To further this discussion, have you tested any Blu-Ray drives? Since the subject was broached back in my Bootable DVD thread, I have considered experimenting with Blu-Ray drives and Windows 98. I first searched for IDE Blu-Ray drives, and some do exist, but they seem to be extremely rare. So, I decided that I would probably have to use a SATA drive with a SATA to IDE adapter or the SATA patch, depending on the system. I recently purchased one of these drives, but I have not had any time to devote to experimenting or my projects lately. :}

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

To further this discussion, have you tested any Blu-Ray drives? Since the subject was broached back in my Bootable DVD thread, I have considered experimenting with Blu-Ray drives and Windows 98. I first searched for IDE Blu-Ray drives, and some do exist, but they seem to be extremely rare. So, I decided that I would probably have to use a SATA drive with a SATA to IDE adapter or the SATA patch, depending on the system. I recently purchased one of these drives, but I have not had any time to devote to experimenting or my projects lately. :}

I have a SATA Blu-Ray Writer in my Main Computer. It is connected to SATA Port 5 so it is interfaced through the Second Legacy Port (170H) not the Native Mode SATA Controller. It behaves like any CD or DVD Drive. I haven't tested the Blu-Ray functions yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN