Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Xp bsod

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Bob_H001

Bob_H001
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 24-February 05
Hi

I've tried so many times to get my external usb hard disk to install windows xp but just when I think I figured it out it BSODs.

Firstly the error points to tons of webpages to do with the SATA drive mode, but, I have tried all 3 SATA modes and proved Windows XP Sp3 will install from a CD.

Basically it gets to the Starting Windows blue dos screen and then BSOD's before reading the hard disk information.

If I boot from the CD it does not do this and I built the USB installation off the same CD source.

There's no message on the STOP error just the numbers

0x0000007b 0xf78d2524 0xc0000034

I've been trying several different methods using grub and have also tried xp SP2 but to no avail.

Help me please before I go completely bald.

:)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

cdob

cdob

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Joined 29-September 05
How do you prepare USB hard disk?

REad the FAQ and replace ntdetect.com.

Bob_H001

Bob_H001
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 24-February 05
I use grub (winsetup) so I can't see how putting ntdetect.com in root would do anything, guess I'll have to change the way I'm doing this.

Or does ntdetect.com need to be inserted into the XP installation?

Sorry for the dumb question my brain is fried.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,714 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
What version do you use?

0.X.X versions- put modified file in ~BT and ~LS\I386 folders.
1.X versions- put it inside the small ISO file in WINSETUP folders and in \WINSETUP\XP......\I386\.

Or just put it in your source in I386 folder and rebuild the stick if cannot figure it out.

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

Bob_H001

Bob_H001
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 24-February 05
Thanks for the help will try this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users