Move old 2003 Domain Controller to new 2008 Server

Deploysrs

I am running Windows server 2003 32bit standard edition w/SP3. This server is running as a domain controller with Active directory installed . I would like to move this domain controller to a new server that is running Windows server 2008 enterprise edition R2 64bit. But I need to know if there is any major issues for making this kind of move to the new server. Also I was hoping someone could give me a basic step by step for me to read up on before I make this happen. I have been doing some reading online and I really can't find a cut and dry answer for configuring the new server to be the new domain controller. The old domain controller is not hosting DHCP. I want to shut the other one down because its old and has seen its time as a Domain controller. If someone could point me in the right direction I would be very greatful with any help I couuld get.

Thanks,

Windows 2003 Service pack 3 doesn't exist to my knowledge.

Here is how i would do it:

- First make backup of your domain controler. If you have more than one DC (and that is heavily recommeded), you may ignore this step.

- Install the windows 2008R2.

- upgrade the schema. You can take extra steps there if you are in a production environment that can't be disturbed in case the upgrade fail: create a virtual machine from 2003 DC, isolate it from production network, install the 2008R2 on another VM, make the schema upgrade. If all still works after apply to the same steps to the production environment.

- use dc promo do change the 2008R2 to a DC.

- Migrate the other roles such as dns, dhcp, wins, etc... and make the change on the clients computers/servers.

- Change the operation master role in AD to the new 2008R2 server.

- Check if all is working correctly after shutdown down the 2003 DC. If not you're probably forgetting something: there is still some role to migrate to 2008.

- Power on again the 2003 DC, demote it and remove it from AD if needed.

What about the FSMO objects? When I did a 2003 to 2008 migration, 2008 wouldn't let me more one of the FSMO objects over, so we ended up having to leave the 2003 on the network. It wouldn't let me transfer the Infrastructure FSMO role. Does the "Change the operation master role in AD to the new 2008R2 server." part you posted resolve this issue?

@ Tripedacus: Maybe you didn't add the global catalog (often forgotten or perhaps the dns server) role to the 2008R2 (when performing dcpromo) before trying to change the operation master.