stopping programs in windows task manger

deathdragon

Many programs are run in windows task manger when computer start up,but there are few programs which i don't used frequently now days,i wan to prevent that program from running in windows task manger when windows start up,i tried msconfig,but there not the program i want to remove and i don't think its right place to stop the program in windows task mange processes,im using windows xp is there any way to solve my problem,i have attach screen shot too.

post-305443-0-35644600-1303280961_thumb.

Sheesh! Several "unnecessary dross"! Java Updates+Quickstart could be disabled for example (in the Console). There may be some installed that have Services (not familiar with one or two) that you may have to Disable. Otherwise, CCleaner and/or SpyBot would work for the "Startup" and "Run" types (they "move" the StartupFolder/Registry entries). You might want to check what you really need.

EDIT - see next post.

and thank you, Yzöwl, for the clarification of Disabled vs Manual.

Edited by submix8c

Both of these 'Tasks' are 'Services' if you change the 'Startup type' to 'Manual' instead of 'Automatic' they will only start up if needed. You can access the particular services by 'entering' the following in the Start Menu Search box: SERVICES.MSC. Scroll to the services you are wishing to change, right-click on them and change the 'Startup type' accordingly.