Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

SCANDISK starts at every reboot -

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Fredledingue

Fredledingue

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
After several crashes with Audacity which forced me to pull off the power plug off the computer because it became completely frozen (extremely rare but it happens) I started experiencing the "not properly shut down" warning at every reboot.

Not only it wants to scan disc C, D and E, but also starts with surface scan. 500 Gb of surface scan, he must be kidding. I don't want to wait 3 days before he's done.

The first time the problem appeared I had a problem with WININET.dll (stack error). Why would WININET.dll make an error, I have no idea.
The computer was near to unusable because this error kept on appearing every 5 seconds or so and the computer was extremely busy all the time.
Fortunately I succeeded in fixed that by restarting in DOS mode and using the command "SCANREG /RESTORE". (I wrote this command with a marker on my monitor frame because it's so useful, just next the alt+0128 for the euro symbol.)
That was fixed but the SCANDISK continue to start at every reboot eventhought the computer works normaly and is shut down in the proper way.

I don't know how to tell him to stop that. I ran the normal dos scandisk and the windows scandisk both once and the problem is still there.

HTASoft.com

superchargedwindows9xig1.png
Still Using W98SE+++ ...Daily.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

G8YMW

G8YMW

• PipPip
  • 110 posts
The only thing that springs to mind is do a scandisk in DOS with a surface scan to eliminate the possibility of the disk in the throes of going "belly up"

Best of luck
Tony

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,758 posts

Donator

Try AutoScan=2, in MSDOS.SYS (more info at MDGx's).

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
If Windows thinks that a Read/Write Error occurred on a Partition, it will set a flag in the Partition to run SCANDISK with Surface Scan. The flag is not cleared if only the basic scan is done. You will need to complete a Surface Scan to clear the flag.
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 13,999 posts
If you like to live dangerously you can manually hexedit the byte (which is in the FAT):
http://thestarman.na...utdownFlag.html

AFAIK, this is not related to actual read/write error, but rather to "not clean" shutdown (which matches the "crashes" you report).

jaclaz

dencorso

dencorso

• Super Moderator
  • 5,758 posts

Donator

Depending on the POV, a "not clean" shutdown *MAY* be due to Read/Write Errors... :P

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 13,999 posts

Depending on the POV, a "not clean" shutdown *MAY* be due to Read/Write Errors... :P

No difference in point of view:
read/write error -> (possibly) CRASH->(definitely) "not clean" shutdown->(definitely) Scandisk flag byte set
generally:
*whatever*-> "not clean" shutdown->(definitely) Scandisk flag byte set

jaclaz

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

If you like to live dangerously you can manually hexedit the byte (which is in the FAT):
http://thestarman.na...utdownFlag.html

AFAIK, this is not related to actual read/write error, but rather to "not clean" shutdown (which matches the "crashes" you report).

jaclaz

Perhaps checking "Disable scandisk after bad shutdown" in the advanced options of msconfig will do as well and is certainly safer than hexing the FAT.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 13,999 posts

Perhaps checking "Disable scandisk after bad shutdown" in the advanced options of msconfig will do as well and is certainly safer than hexing the FAT.

I may be wrong, of course, but I seem to remember that that prevents the byte to be changed on *next* crash (as opposed to reset the byte already set) :unsure: or maybe it simply tells the system to ignore the byte, but the filesystem is not fully "sound" (i.e. when manually running scandisk or a similar utility the "wrongly set" byte may still create a problem/trigger a surface scan.
Anyway it is the same as the Edit in MSDOS.SYS:
http://support.micro...kb/152404/en-us

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 22 April 2011 - 12:40 PM.

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
Disabling Autoscan will disable all future Scans, leaving you at risk for future corruption. The safest bet is to run the Surface Scan once. Start it and go to bed.
If you are sure there are no Read/Write errors, you can hexedit to reset the flags (both FATs).
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
There is an IFSMGR.VXD issue and hotfix as well in case it's relevant.

http://support.micro...kb/273017/EN-US

Edited by loblo, 22 April 2011 - 01:51 PM.

Fredledingue

Fredledingue

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
HI, everybody.
So I ran the surface scan to the insistance of both the public audiance (here) and of my computer who would never let me in peace.
...And it happens that I had one bad sector on the C disk. Fortunately it didn't scan the entire physical drive of 500Gb, only the relatively small C partition.

On top of that the file affected was cookies.dat, something likely to be used often and generate errors.

Lesson learned: Believe what your computer is telling you. ;)

It's the first time I'v got the case due to a not-clean shut down.
The not-clean shut down may have been caused by a read/write error that crashed the computer but that's impossible to know. I don't know what's the risk of damaging a HDD doing so. Perhaps it's not null.

In my case not-clean shut down doesn't cause definetly a scan disk. Sometimes it reboots in Safe Mode, sometimes it does the disc scan (which I abort almost everytime), sometimes it even reboots normaly.

There are various reasons why I must do a not-clean shut down. Most of the time it's because the computer fails to shut down at some point. It often (but not always) fails to shut down when it shows the shut-down logo with the sky (in normal shut down I don't even see this sky).

Sometimes the computer fails to start, showing a black screen with an unanimated cursor, some bits of white should I say on the top left. Then Ctrl+Alt+Del may or may not work, it's up to good luck.

The reasons for these annoyances are completely unkown. I have not the slightliest idea of what can cause them but random computer imprecision.
My mohterboard, which should be called grand-mother-board LOL, is quiet old. I had it cleaned completely already once after a total start failure of the machine.

Looks terrible when you read that but I'm still very satisfied of the machine... most of the time it works perfectly, making such hic-up even more surprising.

HTASoft.com

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,161 posts
Huh!
If it were me I'd run CCleaner and let it delete the standard things, reboot, then run a Full Scan on every partition just for insurance. Hope you have all the necessary patches (including the unofficial ones) installed.
(--of course you aren't me, but hey, opinions are like...)
FWIW, sometimes Surface Scan finds things but then when you use the manufacturer's utility to "fully destructive check the disk" (which resets to Factory, clearing to zeros the MBR and all) then install all over again then Surface scan finds... NADA! (wierd!) Done that before (BTW, usually the ManuScan if finding a bad sector just reassigns the track to "elsewhere", a set of sectors reserved for just that purpose IF any are available.... AFAIK.)

Glad your back up (was looking scary for a while, following the topic events...).

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

herbalist

herbalist

paranoid independent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
Glad you got it fixed. Problems like that are one reason I started making system backups before installing new apps or making major changes beyond the registry. Fixing a problem like that can easily take longer than making and restoring many backups.

dencorso

dencorso

• Super Moderator
  • 5,758 posts

Donator

Fixing a problem like that can easily take longer than making and restoring many backups.

I subscribe to this idea, too. A backup library is an invaluable asset.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 13,999 posts

Lesson learned: Believe what your computer is telling you. ;)

Well, NO. :realmad:
Corollary:
Unless it is a MS Operating System that has a long history of issuing in MOST occasions a meaningless error message comletely UNrelated to the actual issue at hand.
In other wordss ALWAYS DOUBT, and check twice (and thrice) before trusting an MS OS :whistle: , or ANY other OS :angel or ANY advice you get on a technical board :ph34r: .

Happy problem is (for the moment) solved :).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 23 April 2011 - 05:33 AM.

Prozactive

Prozactive

• PipPip
  • 209 posts

Fixing a problem like that can easily take longer than making and restoring many backups.

I subscribe to this idea, too. A backup library is an invaluable asset.

I second (or third) this. That's why I make periodic Ghost backups of my OS partition especially before any major system change and/or app(s) installation. It's saved me numerous times. At the very least, you should make a full registry backup beforehand.

Edited by Prozactive, 24 April 2011 - 09:57 AM.

Fredledingue

Fredledingue

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Unless it is a MS Operating System that has a long history of issuing in MOST occasions a meaningless error message comletely UNrelated to the actual issue at hand.
In other wordss ALWAYS DOUBT, and check twice (and thrice) before trusting an MS OS , or ANY other OS or ANY advice you get on a technical board

You will want to note that I refered to messages and reaction by the computer before Windows (the MS OS in question) loaded its crap out.
FDISK was running under DOS, the last half-decent OS owned by M$ but not created by them.

HTASoft.com

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 13,999 posts

You will want to note that I refered to messages and reaction by the computer before Windows (the MS OS in question) loaded its crap out.
FDISK was running under DOS, the last half-decent OS owned by M$ but not created by them.

.... ALWAYS DOUBT, and check twice (and thrice) before trusting an MS OS :whistle: , or ANY other OS :angel or ANY advice you get on a technical board :ph34r: .

;)

jaclaz

Fredledingue

Fredledingue

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
Oooops! My computer had another freeze up the other day and the same problem came back... even worse!

First I wasn't able to turn on my computer again: no scandisk, nothing, just a bunch of errors, windows protection error and the likes. Press any key to continue had the power turned off. Yeah...

That's not all: It took me 3 boot floppy disks to have one working. One generated a string of errors, the other failed to see the drive C:. Finaly the ME boot disk was successful in launching scandisk.

The first time I had this problem, scandisk found one bad cluster. Now it found 6 additional bad clusters in random files.
It's wierd that files which were not written or read during the crash are suddenly corrupted.

Important: When the crash happened, in both case there was extensive work on the E: partition of the same physical drive. This drive has the partition E: and C: on it. D: being on a separate physical drive.
On both cases I was working with large files (more than 100Mb) but with other applications, not related to each others. The first time it was during a recording and editing session with Audacity, the second time it was after downloading movies with WinSCP (an HTP clients) and watching these movies with MP Classic + ffdshow.
Nothing extraordinary. I do these types of operation for years without problem. Yesterday I watched these movies without problem. Normaly these softwares don't cause me any worry.

I'm afraid my hard disk drive is about to die.
It's wierd to have bad cluster poping up on drive C: while working on drive E:...
Or can it be another problem?

HTASoft.com

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

It's wierd to have bad cluster poping up on drive C: while working on drive E:...
Or can it be another problem?

No it's not weird, think about heads and platters, the more you work on E, the more all heads move above the platters, some of which are above partition C and one of whom at least is causing physical damage IMO, I'd image the drive immediately and replace it if I was you.

dencorso

dencorso

• Super Moderator
  • 5,758 posts

Donator

Ditto! :yes:

Fredledingue

Fredledingue

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
So you think the heads are scratching the platters while hovering above the area related to partition C?

HTASoft.com

G8YMW

G8YMW

• PipPip
  • 110 posts
Am I right in thinking that you have one hard drive partitioned into logical drives? If yes then what is happening to one logical drive is happening to all the logical drives because the PHYSICAL drive is breaking down (Knackered bearings causing wobble resulting in the heads hitting the surface?)
As Loblo is saying, time to back up and get a new drive fitted

Fredledingue

Fredledingue

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
I followed your advice ASAP because I had another crash the other day. The geek at the store's backroom did a clone of my HDD to a new one. + he cleaned the dust off the MoBo because my computer is in a very smoky environement in winter(while I'm in another room).
I'm now up and going again. Time will tell.
The HDD was only 3 and 1/2 years old, a Western Digital. Wierd. But ok, I'm not going to complain

HTASoft.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN